• Dec 3rd, 2017 2:06 am
Tags:
None
[OP]
Aug 15, 2003
873 posts
147 upvotes

YRDSB vs TDSB

I am interested in moving moving from York Region back to Toronto. Anyone know any key differences between the school boards and how they compare?

For example, accessibility of French immersion, gifted, and other "special" programs? Transportation?

Thanks!!!
3 replies
Dec 1, 2017
2 posts
Hi,

Assuming that you changed the board, can you please share your experience or views?

I am in same boat & need to finalize between the two.

Thanks in advance.
Mar 9, 2012
887 posts
273 upvotes
KITCHENER
I can only speak of moving the kids from the Hamilton Wentworth District School Board to Waterloo Region District School Board and really, there isn't much difference. I think your geographical location might play a larger part. If you're in a new and wealthier area, you're more likely to have some perks regarding immersion programs, and programs for gifted (otherwise, you're transporting them yourself). As for other special programs, such as an IEP, it could be the certain school (especially high school) may not have these programs (in which case, transportation is provided).

As for transportation itself, you should be able to do lookups on those from the transportation services for each board. From my understanding though, it's basically all the same across the board; 1.8 KM or more for JK-6, 2.4 KM for 7-8, and 4.8 KM for high school, IIRC. I recall that for grade 6 my kid had a 1.7 KM walking trek, and for grade 7, a 2.5 KM bus ride. Schools were literally 650m apart yet bussing privilege for the extra walk... Either way, I think that is all mandated by the province, like most other educational things.
Mar 9, 2012
887 posts
273 upvotes
KITCHENER
SoftwareTesting wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 5:15 pm
Hi,

Assuming that you changed the board, can you please share your experience or views?

I am in same boat & need to finalize between the two.

Thanks in advance.
You can't change boards as far as I know. It's hard enough to change schools within a board unless special circumstances (such as specialized programming).

We had personal experience at this and within the same board. Everything needs board approval and approval from the principal. They said "NOOOOOOOO" really can't see any situation where you could choose another school in a different board (different region) as your tax dollars don't work that way (unless you're thinking of swapping boards within the same city).

I went to public school, but I recall when a new Catholic high school was build (Resurrection - 1,350 students), on University Rd (the road itself in in Waterloo) in Kitchener, students across the street living in Waterloo were NOT allowed to attend that school, they had to go to St. Davids. Basically the new school opened for an older high school being shut down; St. Jeromes. Once they shut down the other downtown catholic high school; St. Marys (one was all boys, one way all girls) and built a much larger school (St. Marys - 2,100 students) in another part of Kitchener, they could move some of those students to the other, and kids living in Waterloo could attend the Kitchener school...same region, same school board, but boundaries are boundaries.