Yum Cha! Dim Sum Fest

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 3rd, 2014 1:04 am
Deal Expert
Sep 1, 2005
21628 posts
17281 upvotes
Markham
Predict this event will be another epic fail. You need heavy duty steamers and fryers (ie restaurant and staff) to keep turning out the food for that quantity of people. Food will have to be prepared ahead of time and then they all get slammed all at once. If they prepare it too early or let it sit in warmers, quality will not be there.

Glad to not go to this event or any event of this sort....go to a good restaurant why go here?
We're all bozos on the bus until we find a way to express ourselves...

Failure is always an option...just not the preferred one!
Deal Addict
May 20, 2010
3296 posts
433 upvotes
Super Synagogio Worl…
gr8dlr wrote: Glad to not go to this event or any event of this sort....go to a good restaurant why go here?
Brag about spending excessive amounts of money to hipster friends by posting pics of the food on Instagram?
Deal Expert
Jan 7, 2007
21264 posts
6247 upvotes
Poormond Hill
TSDH wrote: Brag about spending excessive amounts of money to hipster friends by posting pics of the food on Instagram?
+1
A life spent making mistakes is not only more memorable, but more useful than a life spent doing nothing.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2013
1974 posts
216 upvotes
TSDH wrote: <flamesuit> I can't imagine people wanting to eat dimsum in Chinatown when the dimsum in Richmond Hill/Markham/Scarborough is so much better. </flamesuit>
Would anyone argue with that?
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
leaves wrote: Would anyone argue with that?
Because we are downtown already? Depending on what you are looking for, the food might not be that much better...

While there is good dum sum up north, it depends on what you are looking for. Normally if we do go north for whatever reason, we go to Dragon Boat Fusion. But for something less expensive, cheap and cheerful, we have been just as happy with a place like Noble as the similarly priced places up north.
Dec 20, 2006
572 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
If it's anything like the 'fests' on Sparks Street in Ottawa, it's a waste of time. Line ups are always crazy long.

On the topic of dim sum, when we were in Hong Kong we went to Din Tai Fung and were introduced to soup dumplings (xiaolongbao) and absolutely loved them. I've been trying to find somewhere in Ottawa that makes them, but haven't been able too. Is there somewhere in the GTA that makes these?
Deal Guru
Dec 11, 2008
13051 posts
3737 upvotes
Vanno wrote: If it's anything like the 'fests' on Sparks Street in Ottawa, it's a waste of time. Line ups are always crazy long.

On the topic of dim sum, when we were in Hong Kong we went to Din Tai Fung and were introduced to soup dumplings (xiaolongbao) and absolutely loved them. I've been trying to find somewhere in Ottawa that makes them, but haven't been able too. Is there somewhere in the GTA that makes these?
There are frozen ones at chinese supermarkets you cansteam yourself at home or go to Szechuan restaurants.
Jun 7, 2010
50 posts
5 upvotes
Vanno wrote: If it's anything like the 'fests' on Sparks Street in Ottawa, it's a waste of time. Line ups are always crazy long.

From my memory I don't think there is any restaurant in Ottawa area serves good soup dumplings. You can go to Ding Tai Fung in First Markham Place (in Markham) at Hwy 7 and Woodbine for the soup dumpling and Shanghai style dim sum, maybe not as good as the real Din Tai Fung chain in Asia, but decent enough for what you pay. It's in GTA so you would have to drive here.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
Tealover wrote: From my memory I don't think there is any restaurant in Ottawa area serves good soup dumplings. You can go to Ding Tai Fung in First Markham Place (in Markham) at Hwy 7 and Woodbine for the soup dumpling and Shanghai style dim sum, maybe not as good as the real Din Tai Fung chain in Asia, but decent enough for what you pay. It's in GTA so you would have to drive here.
There are plenty of xiao long bao in toronto but a lot of it is not great. Its tasty, but not as elegant and refined as you can get in the high end places in Asia.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
speedyforme wrote: There are frozen ones at chinese supermarkets you cansteam yourself at home or go to Szechuan restaurants.
xiaolongbao is not sichuan
Dec 20, 2006
572 posts
36 upvotes
Ottawa
Thanks Tealover! I will definitely be going to check out Ding Tai Fung in Markham next time I'm visiting relatives in T.O.

I was looking at the pictures on Urbanspoon and Trip Adviser and now I'm craving them. We went three nights in a row when we were in Hong Kong...so delicious.
Jul 31, 2008
244 posts
79 upvotes

There might be one place - Brother Wu Restaurant (http://www.brotherwu.com)

- Classic (100%) hole in the wall but they've been around for years in Ottawa.

Besides the dumplings, they do serve other basic items such as green onion pancakes + beef (brisket) noodle soup.

I know this sounds odd but ... DO call ahead to see when they're open.

(yes - it's family run but have been instances when they open 30 mins after the posted time on weekdays + weekends)

There's another place called Beijing Legend (can google it).

I would say this place is flexible - they will gladly accommodate request for dumplings and other shanghai related dishes.

Just remember with most Chinese restaurants in Ottawa:

- Quality is at most average / pricing is above average to high / variety of dishes is basic
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12603 posts
2308 upvotes
Vanno wrote: Thanks Tealover! I will definitely be going to check out Ding Tai Fung in Markham next time I'm visiting relatives in T.O.

I was looking at the pictures on Urbanspoon and Trip Adviser and now I'm craving them. We went three nights in a row when we were in Hong Kong...so delicious.
For a more "hole in the wall" cheap xlb, try Northern Dumpling Kitchen http://www.yelp.com/biz/northern-dumpli ... hmond-hill
Tasty stuff there and very cheap.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 3, 2007
8443 posts
2348 upvotes
Toronto
Vanno wrote: Thanks Tealover! I will definitely be going to check out Ding Tai Fung in Markham next time I'm visiting relatives in T.O.

Just so you know, the Ding Tai Fung in Markham is a fake. It is not the same chain as you would find in Asia.

http://www.tinyurbankitchen.com/2012/10 ... ronto.html
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13306 posts
750 upvotes
Tealover wrote: From my memory I don't think there is any restaurant in Ottawa area serves good soup dumplings. You can go to Ding Tai Fung in First Markham Place (in Markham) at Hwy 7 and Woodbine for the soup dumpling and Shanghai style dim sum, maybe not as good as the real Din Tai Fung chain in Asia, but decent enough for what you pay. It's in GTA so you would have to drive here.
Decent enough...though I miss the selection at the real Din Tai Fung restaurants...love the Shrimp and Luffa Xiaolongbao!

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)