Tags:
[OP]
Jan 26, 2010
749 posts
466 upvotes
Milton

YYZ to LAX - Is $423 a good price?

Hey guys,
Planning a 12 day trip in December from Toronto to LAX for a family of 5, flights just came out and I'm seeing $423 return on Google Flights.

Seems like a great deal. I know the trip is 10 months away, but $423 seems very competitive. Any thoughts on how low these fares may go?

PQB.
12 replies
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
PapaQBear wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 7:10 pm
Seems like a great deal. I know the trip is 10 months away, but $423 seems very competitive. Any thoughts on how low these fares may go?
Yes, that's a good price - average price with taxes inclusive is $600 - $650 for YYZ to LAX, that's what I usually pay.

You can also try flying out of Buffalo on South West Airlines to LAX... but at $423, I would just fly out of Toronto.
[OP]
Jan 26, 2010
749 posts
466 upvotes
Milton
coolspot wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 7:46 pm
Yes, that's a good price - average price with taxes inclusive is $600 - $650 for YYZ to LAX, that's what I usually pay.

You can also try flying out of Buffalo on South West Airlines to LAX... but at $423, I would just fly out of Toronto.
Thanks for reply! Going to book it.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
PapaQBear wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:03 pm
Thanks for reply! Going to book it.
I just checked on WestJet - they have a seat sale right now and some dates are as low as $350 return from YYZ.

Also, YYZ to LAX seems cheaper than I recall...
[OP]
Jan 26, 2010
749 posts
466 upvotes
Milton
Had a look for my dates (Dec 22-Jan 2) on WestJet, I'm not getting any flights available. I'm sure there's going to be a flash sale at some point that'll be cheaper than $423, but I think it's a good enough deal to book now and forget about it for the rest of the year. I also booked the car rental through Costco and I'll check the quote every few weeks and rebook if cheaper. Thanks for checking anyway man.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1967 posts
1025 upvotes
I say any fare under $450 Canadian to go round trip YYZ-LAX is a good price (edited to add: especially if it's nonstop both ways). Gone are the days when you could fly to LAX out of BUF for $200 US. Sometimes you'll see $450 Can from YYZ and $400 US from BUF (even on Southwest or JetBlue). The airlines have wised up and price Buffalo as if it's a second Toronto airport.

There's a reason I see a lot of commercials for Buffalo-Niagara Airport on Toronto TV lately, the airlines got greedy so the BUF advantage is gone and so the market has dried up. I won't drive to Buffalo unless I can save at least $200 on the airfare since I'd rather avoid 2 hours driving each way AND having to change in Atlanta or any other mega-hub. There was a time when it was $200 US out of BUF and $700 Can out of YYZ. No brainer obviously. But no more. I fly to California almost every year and I haven't used Buffalo in 5 years.
Last edited by EastGTARedFlagger on Feb 13th, 2018 12:33 am, edited 3 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7405 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
It's a good price. The price is lower than usual, lower than before, because of the lower oil price. But oil price is slowly going up and airfare will catch up.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1967 posts
1025 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Feb 13th, 2018 10:37 am
It's a good price. The price is lower than usual, lower than before, because of the lower oil price. But oil price is slowly going up and airfare will catch up.
Oil prices (which are global) don't explain why the prices out of Toronto have gone down while the prices out of Buffalo have gone up such that now it often costs more to fly out of the supposedly cheaper Buffalo airport!
Deal Fanatic
Feb 15, 2006
7405 posts
1819 upvotes
Toronto
EastGTARedFlagger wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:19 pm
Oil prices (which are global) don't explain why the prices out of Toronto have gone down while the prices out of Buffalo have gone up such that now it often costs more to fly out of the supposedly cheaper Buffalo airport!
It explains why the price out of Toronto has gone down.

From Buffalo, they have now realised they can still sell enough tickets at higher price. So they moved the price up.
Penalty Box
Feb 22, 2016
1967 posts
1025 upvotes
Arrgh wrote:
Feb 14th, 2018 2:50 pm
It explains why the price out of Toronto has gone down. From Buffalo, they have now realised they can still sell enough tickets at higher price. So they moved the price up.
Exactly! The airlines out of Buffalo (Delta, United, AA, jetBlue, Southwest) got greedy while at the same time the airlines out of Toronto had to price down to compete. They could no longer get away with charging upwards of $700 a ticket when you could fly for $400 just a 2 hour drive away. Delta's Toronto traffic was so bad a decade ago, they only flew regional jets into Toronto (for their ATL and JFK trips) but used 737's/MD95's for Buffalo.
Jun 16, 2009
323 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
PapaQBear wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:23 pm
Had a look for my dates (Dec 22-Jan 2) on WestJet, I'm not getting any flights available. I'm sure there's going to be a flash sale at some point that'll be cheaper than $423, but I think it's a good enough deal to book now and forget about it for the rest of the year. I also booked the car rental through Costco and I'll check the quote every few weeks and rebook if cheaper. Thanks for checking anyway man.
For your Car Rental ,go to website called Autoslash.com. Input all the information from your Costco Rental.
They shop your quote around and may find a cheaper rental. A few times they have found me a cheaper rental.
Deal Expert
Oct 6, 2005
16472 posts
2135 upvotes
mgn2000 wrote:
Feb 16th, 2018 12:10 am
For your Car Rental ,go to website called Autoslash.com. Input all the information from your Costco Rental.
They shop your quote around and may find a cheaper rental. A few times they have found me a cheaper rental.
Costco does include the second driver for free. Does autoslash have free cancellations?
Jun 16, 2009
323 posts
91 upvotes
Mississauga
Yes Autoslash does have free Cancellations