• Jun 3rd, 2019 3:05 am
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
MeatJuice wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 1:33 pm
I can’t see how anyone, even those who are intolerant to heat, would be suffering much in a place like singapore when most places are either underground, indoors, and air conditioned. It’s not like you’re visiting a country with nature and national parks where you’re out in the elements exploring all day.
What?? Completely disagree. Yes, you COULD spend your entire time indoors but there are PLENTY of outdoor activities and you will be doing yourself an injustice if you don't visit those. Try exploring the city more and you will see that there are quite a lot of things to do outdoors.

It's a shame you never tried eating at their outdoor hawker centers or visiting any of the outdoor parks (East Coast Park, Fort Canning, Gardens by the Bay, Botanical gardens, Jurong Bird Park, Zoo) or visiting Sentosa island (beach, Unviersal Studios) or any of the outdoor walking communities (Little India, Chinatown, Kampong Glam).

Sorry but you're just spreading misinformation about the city at this point.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
MeatJuice wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:16 pm
If you lived there for 6 years then you should know better. For an equatorial country, you are exposed to far less solar radiation when you’re outside and you’re sheltered with climate control in any developed area. It’s a lot more comfortable than the other countries in the vicinity even strolling down the street during mid day. But then again, this depends on how fleshy and insulated you are which would likely be the contributing factor if you’re bothered by the heat and humidity even during monsoon season.

Fyi, I’ve lived in the region many years and certainly more than you’ve been there. In a place like singapore, you can even start losing your tan.
Yeah, see above... you MISSED a lot of the city....

As a tourist, if you spend all day indoors you ARENT seeing the city.

Take any average Canadian who has spent most of their lives in Canada and put them in Singapore and they will be HOT.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:25 pm
Folks don't get this unless they live or work in Singapore, there are plenty of pasty people over there. Definitely a big indoor work culture there, but there's also a 'life' culture as well.

Folks are quick to denigrate both Singapore and Dubai, both fantastic locales, because they're 'soulless'.

Utter non-sense.
Agree. As a tourist to Singapore, if all a person is doing is staying indoors they aren't experiencing the city.
Mar 11, 2018
278 posts
138 upvotes
VertigoM wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:33 pm
What?? Completely disagree. Yes, you COULD spend your entire time indoors but there are PLENTY of outdoor activities and you will be doing yourself an injustice if you don't visit those. Try exploring the city more and you will see that there are quite a lot of things to do outdoors.

It's a shame you never tried eating at their outdoor hawker centers or visiting any of the outdoor parks (East Coast Park, Fort Canning, Gardens by the Bay, Botanical gardens, Jurong Bird Park, Zoo) or visiting Sentosa island (beach, Unviersal Studios) or any of the outdoor walking communities (Little India, Chinatown, Kampong Glam).

Sorry but you're just spreading misinformation about the city at this point.
No need to jump to such conclusions, but honestly, I can say I’ve visited most of all those places you listed before you even lived in singapore. If you work any professional job, you’re likely to spend the entire hot and sunny part of your day indoors and travelling underground. By the time you get off work, people will be out strolling around or jogging in the open spaces as there’s no strong sunlight from that point onwards. Walk around and get your hawker food which will still be under shade anywhere if you’re so much a vampire. Besides the tourist traps, there’s not that much outdoor type stuff and certainly not where you’re really going to be beaten by the elements. How often do you find yourself anywhere in singapore where you’re not shaded by some high structure of some sort without even purposefully looking for shade? You want to talk about hot and humid, go over to certain parts of malaysia or indonesia without all the developments to mitigate heat, but certainly not singapore.
Deal Addict
Jul 11, 2007
1074 posts
145 upvotes
The moment you get off the plane it feels like walking into a sauna.

You get acclimated to the heat, but it's still really hot and humid when you actually are outside without shade.

You are able to avoid it for the most part though and you can usually make quick stops indoors and cool off quickly because they really blast the AC there.

Best advice for dealing with it is to stay hydrated and take your time getting around. You will notice locals move around slowly as well and nobody is in a rush.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
MeatJuice wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:53 pm
No need to jump to such conclusions, but honestly, I can say I’ve visited most of all those places you listed before you even lived in singapore. If you work any professional job, you’re likely to spend the entire hot and sunny part of your day indoors and travelling underground. By the time you get off work, people will be out strolling around or jogging in the open spaces as there’s no strong sunlight from that point onwards. Walk around and get your hawker food which will still be under shade anywhere if you’re so much a vampire. Besides the tourist traps, there’s not that much outdoor type stuff and certainly not where you’re really going to be beaten by the elements. How often do you find yourself anywhere in singapore where you’re not shaded by some high structure of some sort without even purposefully looking for shade? You want to talk about hot and humid, go over to certain parts of malaysia or indonesia without all the developments to mitigate heat, but certainly not singapore.
Sure, there's plenty of shade in a lot of areas. But again, take any Canadian tourist and put them in Singapore and they will be HOT regardless of time of year. Period.

Will they be hotter in Malaysia, India, Thailand? Probably. But the fact is, Singapore is hot all year (30C and humid) and staying hidden indoors is not the right way to visit the city.

Listen, I have proof of this, I had an entire group of Canadians visit me in Singapore and each and every one complained about the heat, so stop "debating" with me already. Sheesh.
Mar 11, 2018
278 posts
138 upvotes
VertigoM wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:35 pm
Yeah, see above... you MISSED a lot of the city....

As a tourist, if you spend all day indoors you ARENT seeing the city.

Take any average Canadian who has spent most of their lives in Canada and put them in Singapore and they will be HOT.
The canadian summers arent that different than how it is in singapore. It gets even hotter at times during summers in canada.

You may be speaking from your subjective experience and I dont know how insulated you are, but the kind of heat you’re exposed to is similar to what you would find walking around downtown in a canadian city during the summer but singapore has better heat mitigation.

For such a highly developed island nation, even the outdoor areas dont expose you to much sunlight in most places. It’s not my intention to burst your bubble or hurt you in anyway so let’s not get so emotional about this discussion.
Deal Addict
Jan 11, 2007
1211 posts
154 upvotes
Edmonton
and i thought this thread is about affordable / cheap flight to Singapore during summer as I am looking for one.
wrong thread for me.
Mar 11, 2018
278 posts
138 upvotes
VertigoM wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 2:57 pm
Sure, there's plenty of shade in a lot of areas. But again, take any Canadian tourist and put them in Singapore and they will be HOT regardless of time of year. Period.

Will they be hotter in Malaysia, India, Thailand? Probably. But the fact is, Singapore is hot all year (30C and humid) and staying hidden indoors is not the right way to visit the city.

Listen, I have proof of this, I had an entire group of Canadians visit me in Singapore and each and every one complained about the heat, so stop "debating" with me already. Sheesh.
People complain about the heat everywhere including canadians living in canada. Take into account those visiting this country are going into a tropical country, so is it really anything to complain about summer? If you would complain about heat on your 1 month vacation, how much more would you complain during your 3 months in a canadian summer with heat waves that get far hotter and humid than in singapore.

Obviously if anyone is travelling to singapore during winter it would be drastic for them, but the heat isnt so bad there and certainly no worse than what you would expect comparing to a summer in a temperate country.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
MeatJuice wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:02 pm
The canadian summers arent that different than how it is in singapore. It gets even hotter at times during summers in canada.

You may be speaking from your subjective experience and I dont know how insulated you are, but the kind of heat you’re exposed to is similar to what you would find walking around downtown in a canadian city during the summer but singapore has better heat mitigation.

For such a highly developed island nation, even the outdoor areas dont expose you to much sunlight in most places. It’s not my intention to burst your bubble or hurt you in anyway so let’s not get so emotional about this discussion.
Oh please, there is no comparison to the humidity experienced in any canadian city to Singapore. MAYBE 1 or 2 days a year, tops. But even then, you VERY rarely get that "sauna" feeling like you do almost every day in Singapore.

I do not disagree that there is plenty of shade in the city and they have done a great job at that. My point is Singapore is hot and humid year round (more so than 99% of Canada in the hottest days of summer) and there are plenty of outdoor activities. The city isn't all underground or indoors as you stated previously. Lastly, monsoon season is not any considerably less hot that it would make any relative difference to 99% of the Canadian population if they were to visit (which was my original point).

So with that, I'm done replying to you as you just don't get it.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
MeatJuice wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:08 pm
People complain about the heat everywhere including canadians living in canada. Take into account those visiting this country are going into a tropical country, so is it really anything to complain about summer? If you would complain about heat on your 1 month vacation, how much more would you complain during your 3 months in a canadian summer with heat waves that get far hotter and humid than in singapore.

Obviously if anyone is travelling to singapore during winter it would be drastic for them, but the heat isnt so bad there and certainly no worse than what you would expect comparing to a summer in a temperate country.
Last reply: I had an entire group visit me for my wedding in Singapore and each and every one complained about the heat. This was in the middle of summer (ie. they came from Canadian summer).

So please stop debating as I have factual evidence that contradicts your points.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8845 posts
8972 upvotes
@MeatJuice and @VertigoM should not put you off to Singapore, if anything, they tell you how attractive the locale proves.

It's a Top 10, possibly Top 5 city to work and live in. Especially with it's tap into Southeast Asia. I know two people with self-started businesses in Singapore and they're doing well servicing that side of the world.
Deal Addict
Aug 18, 2009
1257 posts
547 upvotes
Toronto
redflagdealsguy wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:13 pm
@MeatJuice and @VertigoM should not put you off to Singapore, if anything, they tell you how attractive the locale proves.

It's a Top 10, possibly Top 5 city to work and live in. Especially with it's tap into Southeast Asia. I know two people with self-started businesses in Singapore and they're doing well servicing that side of the world.
Don't get me wrong, Singapore is one of the most beautiful places/cities I've ever visited and I would recommend visiting in a heartbeat.

I'm just saying, it's hot and visitors should be prepared and also be prepared to be outdoors in the humidity.
Mar 11, 2018
278 posts
138 upvotes
VertigoM wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:13 pm
Last reply: I had an entire group visit me for my wedding in Singapore and each and every one complained about the heat. This was in the middle of summer (ie. they came from Canadian summer).

So please stop debating as I have factual evidence that contradicts your points.
Again, for the length of a visit to singapore, it’s like what you would experience during a hot canadian summer minus the heatwave week or two where it will get much hotter than singapore.

Your evidence isn’t fact, as it stands, it’s just your assertion of claims made by others. It’s no doubt it’s ‘hot’ in a tropical climate and anyone would comment on the weather being ‘hot’ in a canadian summer just as much if they came to visit during the summer season.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 24, 2018
8845 posts
8972 upvotes
VertigoM wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:16 pm
I'm just saying, it's hot and visitors should be prepared and also be prepared to be outdoors in the humidity.
With so many indoor places to cool off, I don't see it as an issue. Grown men will adapt.

If the elderly can adjust to Miami, I'm sure the young and middle-aged can adjust to Singapore.
MeatJuice wrote:
May 22nd, 2019 3:21 pm
Your evidence isn’t fact, as it stands, it’s just your assertion of claims made by others. It’s no doubt it’s ‘hot’ in a tropical climate and anyone would comment on the weather being ‘hot’ in a canadian summer just as much if they came to visit during the summer season.
I have to agree, a sweltering humid summer in Southern Ontario doesn't feel much different (for better or worse).