Tags:
None
Jan 1, 2008
408 posts
106 upvotes
Brossard
GoodGuy wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 9:04 am
It's used to be a much better but from number of people complain including my wife,it's not the same any more but still not bad considering the price.
Check the age of the rice that you are purchasing... they just might be selling younger rice because it is more cost effective for them. As another poster noted, older rice (if stored properly) tastes better.
May 28, 2007
160 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
jory29 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 1:21 am
Why pre-soak? Does it make it less sticky?? Curious to know. We now rinse our rice well prior to cooking and that makes a difference (in starch/stickiness levels), but wondering if pre-soaking is better yet. Great deal on the rice. Does it keep well, if you stock up on it?
Edited to add: Basamati rice smells wonderful when cooking and the taste is very good!
Stickiness is a property of a particular kind of rice. Your rice may get sticky though if you overcook it in excess of water.
Two things to do to get the best results with your rice
- always wash it no matter what the package says. The water should be clear at the end.
- pre-soak it, whenever time allows. Couple of hours is generally enough.
With basmati you'll get longer rice grains with better texture. It will also absorb sauces better. Same approach works for biryanis, pilafs etc.
May 28, 2007
160 posts
31 upvotes
Mississauga
djherbal1 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 11:47 am
Check the age of the rice that you are purchasing... they just might be selling younger rice because it is more cost effective for them. As another poster noted, older rice (if stored properly) tastes better.
Good point!
Deal Addict
Apr 9, 2008
2340 posts
132 upvotes
Toronto
damn, that is a good price.

Is it Zafrani or Zafrani Reserve???
Zafrani reserve is the better and more expensive one..the biryani kind.
Jan 31, 2010
116 posts
1 upvote
Brampton
bsobaid wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 12:00 pm

Just buy the regular one and store it for a few months in a cool place (cold room in basement). We always buy a few bags at a time. Aging it make a world of difference in the fluffiness and how long the grains are when u cook it.

We pre-wash, soak and then strain when making regular white rice to prevent stickiness.
Deal Addict
Apr 3, 2006
2135 posts
159 upvotes
Can anyone let me know which country this is a product of?
Jun 13, 2008
462 posts
121 upvotes
Great Deal...Will check out my nearest Costco. Hope they have got it.

Thanks OP
"The Real RFD'ers would avoid sweating in order to retain moisture in the body so they do not need to purchase water."
Deal Addict
Sep 8, 2008
1259 posts
77 upvotes
probally india.

wow, i had no idea aging rice made a difference? interesting..
Deal Addict
Oct 27, 2007
1510 posts
80 upvotes
chandans wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 12:14 pm
probally india.

wow, i had no idea aging rice made a difference? interesting..
I had no idea pre-soaking made a difference. I always wash the rice, that is a given no matter what...but pre-soaking...why?
Also I always use either Tilda or Zebra brand...anyone care to comment on the comparison?
Deal Addict
Oct 29, 2007
1547 posts
222 upvotes
This would be a wonderful price if this rice is anything close to Tilda quality. I guess I will have to buy a bag, try and compare. If this is close to Tilda quality, then time to stock up.
Here is my ranking of basmati rices that we have tried:
1. Tilda
2. India Gate
3. Dawat ==> this one has the best aroma
4. 718
5. Adora
6. Costco's Veetee brand
Aug 9, 2007
758 posts
38 upvotes
Just to be clear you don't wash/soak before storing your rice right?
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
Jul 20, 2006
5928 posts
643 upvotes
Ajax
bsobaid wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 12:00 pm

It is Zafrani and not the reserve one.
Jan 1, 2008
408 posts
106 upvotes
Brossard
ceeatch wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2010 12:37 pm
Just to be clear you don't wash/soak before storing your rice right?
Exactly. You want it to be dry while storing. As another poster noted, the basement provides a good storing space. Good balance between moisture and temperature.

Wash your rice only before you are about to cook it. I personally prefer pre-soaking as well.
Deal Addict
Sep 10, 2007
2885 posts
225 upvotes
CALGARY
Very Good Deal!! Alas, I picked up 15 bags of 10lb rice from Shoppers on their bonus redemption! It was like $15 for 10lb.

I may still pick up some more! I heard the older they are easy/good to cook they get. Too old may have some sort of "smell"

5 Year is a safe time period for rice storage!!
For Sale in Calgary :
PS4 GAMES - NHL 16 + NBA LIVE 16 + Assassin's Creed Syndicate = $85
× < >