• Nov 29th, 2016 3:59 pm
Tags:
None
Nov 13, 2012
26 posts
21 upvotes
wearysky wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 10:21 am
I've given up on IPTV options entirely, for now. Basic cable with a handful of addons for the kids is enough for me. I'm looking forward to seeing what Cogeco plans to offer for their skinny TV package on March 1st. Though I was under the impression that pick and pay needed to be up and running on March 1st as well, but then an article I was reading said it didn't need to be up till the end of the year? Because really, we watch about 10 channels in our house, and that's only because we have them. If I could subscribe to Disney Junior and Treehouse alone, we could get by with just that.

Sadly, though, OTA isn't enough these days if you're a sports fan. For NFL you can get by, but anything else? Not so much.
I am interested to see the packages as well, but it seems the cable companies will drag their feet as much as possible on this issue... No surprise really.

OTA doesn't work for everyone based on their geographical location. Simple as that. It's unfortunate that there are proponents of it that can't seem to understand that not everyone wants to live in Toronto, by the border, or on Lake Erie or Ontario.
Sep 24, 2008
31 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor, ONT
wearysky wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 10:21 am
I've given up on IPTV options entirely, for now. Basic cable with a handful of addons for the kids is enough for me. I'm looking forward to seeing what Cogeco plans to offer for their skinny TV package on March 1st. Though I was under the impression that pick and pay needed to be up and running on March 1st as well, but then an article I was reading said it didn't need to be up till the end of the year? Because really, we watch about 10 channels in our house, and that's only because we have them. If I could subscribe to Disney Junior and Treehouse alone, we could get by with just that.
That's our household. Outside of a few programs on Network TV, we only watch Sportsnet, TSN and Treehouse. We're spending a lot of money for basically 3 stations.
And honestly, outside of baseball season, and a few free UFC events, it's mainly Treehouse.
The wife and I are almost exclusive to Netflix and other streaming services.
Sadly, though, OTA isn't enough these days if you're a sports fan. For NFL you can get by, but anything else? Not so much.
Very true. I believe hockey will still be available on CTV next season so you can still get a game of the week there. And I believe Fox broadcasts an MLB game every Sunday as well.

In the end, I think the big providers will be offering nothing but Network stations in their Basic package. Something anyone could get for free with an antenna.
Cogeco and Bell are the only providers available on my street. I'll be watching to see what they offer on March 1st as well. I'd just love to get Bell out of my life. Such terrible, terrible customer service and inflated prices.
I used to have them for TV, home phone, internet and cellphone. I'm down to just TV now. I'd like to knock that off the list as well.
Aug 6, 2009
500 posts
57 upvotes
GTA
I bought it to try it out. I like that I got instant access via apps. I have no plans to install their whatever web player but I tried the apps.

On my Android phone it worked well but no official chromecast support, the app even relaunches if you leave it and come back (Nexus 5x -- it behaves like old iPhone apps before multitasking). I did screen mirroring to my chromecast and that "worked" but having to keep the phone screen on sucked, and the video wasn't true full screen (the android system buttons were dots on the right side).

On my iPad it installed fine, shows the guide fine, but fails to play any stream I try (and app has to be killed and restarted).

Quality was quite good - watched the Colbert show last night. There was occasional audio hiccups but again - was doing Android App screen mirroring so any of that could have caused some lag or hiccup.

No idea how long it'll take the set top box to arrive but I assume that will work just fine. If the audio hiccups are normal that might turn me off the service.
Deal Expert
Dec 26, 2010
16341 posts
4464 upvotes
Okay...so their intention is to expand into BC and Alberta but not into the rest of Ontario and definitely not Northwestern Ontario where I am. Also, check their community forum. Lots of complaints. Also says for HD programming you will need a 5+ Mbps connection per channel or else it will drop down to lower quality. Thanks, but that's what I get with my Android box now, so it would be no improvement if this "service" was available in my area...
Banned
Feb 29, 2012
84 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
DougO wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 11:02 am
Okay...so their intention is to expand into BC and Alberta but not into the rest of Ontario and definitely not Northwestern Ontario where I am. Also, check their community forum. Lots of complaints. Also says for HD programming you will need a 5+ Mbps connection per channel or else it will drop down to lower quality. Thanks, but that's what I get with my Android box now, so it would be no improvement if this "service" was available in my area...
Service is not for everyone, guaranteed. The majority of the issues (upwards of 90+%) are due to lack of bandwidth getting to the STB (ie people choking out their network which, as you stated produces a lower quality feed). Most channels run around 4 Mbps but the higher quality feeds like sports channels are most definitely over 5 Mbps

They have stated publicly (though not on their website) that they plan to expand to most major cities and towns within Canada.
Sep 1, 2015
111 posts
34 upvotes
Ajax, ON
Is it browser ready? I only have a Chromebox hooked up to my TV, not a PC or Mac.
Aug 23, 2009
97 posts
12 upvotes
I get the same channels with my fta antenna. Location Castlemore Brampton. the same antenna is about the price of the 12 month pre-paid (which will probably result in auto renewal and a head ache to cancel). I've had my antenna (8-bay channel master) for about 8-9 years (paid $ 79 then) works great! Had a long pipe (free), and purchased the brackets to pass roof eves (cost $ 9). Took me about 1 hr to install my self with no help. (just some info for those who would like the same channels for one time cost)
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
165 upvotes
toronto
sammyk wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 12:11 pm
I get the same channels with my fta antenna. Location Castlemore Brampton. the same antenna is about the price of the 12 month pre-paid (which will probably result in auto renewal and a head ache to cancel). I've had my antenna (8-bay channel master) for about 8-9 years (paid $ 79 then) works great! Had a long pipe (free), and purchased the brackets to pass roof eves (cost $ 9). Took me about 1 hr to install my self with no help. (just some info for those who would like the same channels for one time cost)

Are you getting all TSNs and Sportsnets on that thing?
Aug 23, 2009
97 posts
12 upvotes
lear wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 12:55 pm
Are you getting all TSNs and Sportsnets on that thing?
No. But i'm getting the same as the skinny package as in the thread. (so nobody gets confused).
Oct 17, 2012
302 posts
118 upvotes
ETOBICOKE
I have Zazeen and it freezes multiple times a day requiring unplugging. Don't know whether to blame them or the device. Maybe the newer device they are selling would work better with the new software, but I'm not spending another $200 when I bought the first one outright for $100 (I see now they're charging $200 for both the old and the new device - makes no sense).

Also kind of pissed that they didn't grandfather the old pricing for those who got in early, and also it wasn't communicated clearly that channels like AMC and CNN wouldn't be included in the Beyond Basic plan (they were both listed on the original website as coming soon with no additional messaging). In fact looking at my invoices the price has gone up twice since June of last year without any communication.

Overall it was cool for the first 6 months or so but I'm sort of over them and will probably be going back to Rogers.
Banned
Feb 29, 2012
84 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
If you want to pm me your customer Id I'll get a senior Rep to reach out to you to work on those issues. Definitely not a typical experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1009 posts
517 upvotes
Burlington
sammyk wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 12:11 pm
Do you have a device to record programming or do you have to watch as they are broadcast?
Sep 24, 2008
31 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor, ONT
mwahahaa wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 2:22 pm
Do you have a device to record programming or do you have to watch as they are broadcast?
That's the rub. If you want PVR, then it's probably cheaper to go the $10/mn route Zazeen is offering.
I have 2 external harddrives for my two Bell receives which I could use on the Zazeen devices. But if I wanted to go OTA, I'd have to buy $300 worth of equipment to get both TV's to record live TV.
That makes Zazeen's $10/mn offer a great one.

But if you don't care about that stuff, OTA is still a very viable solution.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1009 posts
517 upvotes
Burlington
Hank1974 wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 2:29 pm
That's the rub. If you want PVR, then it's probably cheaper to go the $10/mn route Zazeen is offering.
I have 2 external harddrives for my two Bell receives which I could use on the Zazeen devices. But if I wanted to go OTA, I'd have to buy $300 worth of equipment to get both TV's to record live TV.
That makes Zazeen's $10/mn offer a great one.

But if you don't care about that stuff, OTA is still a very viable solution.
Thanks Hank. You are once, twice, three times a gentleman.

Has anyone used a powerline device to feed signal to the zazeen set top box, and if so, does it give consistently good signal? I can only get actual ethernet input to one of my TVs.
Aug 23, 2009
97 posts
12 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote:
Feb 23rd, 2016 2:22 pm
I have no recording. But I'm sure if I wanted to, I could get it done with my computer (or any old computer set up with a hard drive). I've never looked into it since I use netflix/Kodi and FTA antenna. News and current live broadcasts (nfl etc..) from antenna and shows/episodes from Netflix/kodi.