Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert

[Zazeen] Skinny Basic TV Plan = $9.95 per month; 12 months prepaid

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 29th, 2016 3:59 pm
Tags:
None
Banned
Feb 29, 2012
84 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
If you want to pm me your customer Id I'll get a senior Rep to reach out to you to work on those issues. Definitely not a typical experience.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
sammyk wrote: I get the same channels with my fta antenna. Location Castlemore Brampton. the same antenna is about the price of the 12 month pre-paid (which will probably result in auto renewal and a head ache to cancel). I've had my antenna (8-bay channel master) for about 8-9 years (paid $ 79 then) works great! Had a long pipe (free), and purchased the brackets to pass roof eves (cost $ 9). Took me about 1 hr to install my self with no help. (just some info for those who would like the same channels for one time cost)
Do you have a device to record programming or do you have to watch as they are broadcast?
Sep 24, 2008
31 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor, ONT
mwahahaa wrote: Do you have a device to record programming or do you have to watch as they are broadcast?
That's the rub. If you want PVR, then it's probably cheaper to go the $10/mn route Zazeen is offering.
I have 2 external harddrives for my two Bell receives which I could use on the Zazeen devices. But if I wanted to go OTA, I'd have to buy $300 worth of equipment to get both TV's to record live TV.
That makes Zazeen's $10/mn offer a great one.

But if you don't care about that stuff, OTA is still a very viable solution.
Deal Addict
Dec 30, 2012
1232 posts
732 upvotes
Victoria
Hank1974 wrote: That's the rub. If you want PVR, then it's probably cheaper to go the $10/mn route Zazeen is offering.
I have 2 external harddrives for my two Bell receives which I could use on the Zazeen devices. But if I wanted to go OTA, I'd have to buy $300 worth of equipment to get both TV's to record live TV.
That makes Zazeen's $10/mn offer a great one.

But if you don't care about that stuff, OTA is still a very viable solution.
Thanks Hank. You are once, twice, three times a gentleman.

Has anyone used a powerline device to feed signal to the zazeen set top box, and if so, does it give consistently good signal? I can only get actual ethernet input to one of my TVs.
Aug 23, 2009
97 posts
12 upvotes
mwahahaa wrote: Do you have a device to record programming or do you have to watch as they are broadcast?
I have no recording. But I'm sure if I wanted to, I could get it done with my computer (or any old computer set up with a hard drive). I've never looked into it since I use netflix/Kodi and FTA antenna. News and current live broadcasts (nfl etc..) from antenna and shows/episodes from Netflix/kodi.
Sep 24, 2008
31 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor, ONT
mwahahaa wrote: Thanks Hank. You are once, twice, three times a gentleman.
What can I say? I'm easy like Sunday morning. ;)
Jun 21, 2012
508 posts
57 upvotes
Windsor
So in December 2016 if someone just wants the sports channels then they can buy all of them individually?
Deal Addict
Apr 10, 2011
3914 posts
4767 upvotes
Canada
sammyk wrote: I get the same channels with my fta antenna. Location Castlemore Brampton. the same antenna is about the price of the 12 month pre-paid (which will probably result in auto renewal and a head ache to cancel). I've had my antenna (8-bay channel master) for about 8-9 years (paid $ 79 then) works great! Had a long pipe (free), and purchased the brackets to pass roof eves (cost $ 9). Took me about 1 hr to install my self with no help. (just some info for those who would like the same channels for one time cost)
For antennae pricing, just researched current prices....
$139 Amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/Channel-Master-422 ... B000FVVKQM
$180 thesource.ca http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=1519124
$110 if you're in 905-area https://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota/ou ... -cm-4228hd
(or $60 for the 4-bay at the same place) http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city ... /259739354

Hey Sammy, does this go right to TVs, or via a computer with ATSC tuner coax-to-USB), or some other digital converter box?
I have a relative looking for this solution now but they're not setup with computers.
Txs in advance
Sep 24, 2008
31 posts
3 upvotes
Windsor, ONT
kcheleb wrote: So in December 2016 if someone just wants the sports channels then they can buy all of them individually?
That appears to be the case. What those channels will cost individually is another story.
I wouldn't be shocked if one TSN or SN station was $5.99/ea. Of course, they'll provide a Sports Package for $15/mn that gives you all of them.

Unfortunately, I think we need to prepare to be hosed no matter what.
Deal Addict
Oct 1, 2006
3249 posts
4472 upvotes
Montreal
The only thing I care about would be sports channels and maybe CNN. If I could get this for $25 ($10 skinny + $15 sports package) I would be very happy.
Aug 23, 2009
97 posts
12 upvotes
RxMills wrote: For antennae pricing, just researched current prices....
$139 Amazon.ca http://www.amazon.ca/Channel-Master-422 ... B000FVVKQM
$180 thesource.ca http://www.thesource.ca/estore/product. ... ct=1519124
$110 if you're in 905-area https://angelelectronics.ca/shop/ota/ou ... -cm-4228hd
(or $60 for the 4-bay at the same place) http://www.kijiji.ca/v-electronics/city ... /259739354

Hey Sammy, does this go right to TVs, or via a computer with ATSC tuner coax-to-USB), or some other digital converter box?
I have a relative looking for this solution now but they're not setup with computers.
Txs in advance
Ya, I'm sure the prices have gone up since I got mine because of the price of cable and when I first got it I was limited to only local channels. But now the strengths from the buffalo and local chaneels have increased I get same as the channels offered here in the skinny packagee.

The antenna goes straight into my TV which has a tuner (almost all TV's have them now). so you would just use regular cable to your TV. You can get a box of cable spool from RTC or Angel electronics for cheap as well as the connectors and crimping tool (I think I paid 50 for spool of cable, 10 crimping tool, & 5 for package of connectors). A lot of suppliers for the stuff is at Matheson/Dixie area. I think you can also have the antenna split with a booster signal, but I've never tried. Ultimately, if you want to see if you can catch some locals, some times you can use a cable cord from you tv, and have it touch (exposed copper looing inner part) your metal vents in you house and do a scan. You will get CBC (I've tried before and have got it).
Feb 14, 2016
12 posts
1 upvote
lennyandcarl wrote: I had Zazeen tv before but could never get the PVR to work properly without skipping!
If you were using an SD card for the PVR, you needed one that supported 40-45MBps writes. Initially I had the same issue but when I upgraded to a proper SD card then no issues. For the USB harddrives, it was recommended to use a USB 3.0 harddrive even though the port is USB 2.0.
Deal Addict
Jan 18, 2013
3026 posts
1670 upvotes
B.C.
ChuckyF wrote: If you were using an SD card for the PVR, you needed one that supported 40-45MBps writes. Initially I had the same issue but when I upgraded to a proper SD card then no issues. For the USB harddrives, it was recommended to use a USB 3.0 harddrive even though the port is USB 2.0.
I've tried 5 hard drives and a very fast SD card. Nothing but skips and skips and skips. Zazeen support was completely useless and I ultimately cancelled the service since it never worked properly.

It became a very annoying and expensive process to go buy a hard drive, test it, return it and repeat!
Mar 22, 2010
626 posts
165 upvotes
toronto
Germack wrote: The only thing I care about would be sports channels and maybe CNN. If I could get this for $25 ($10 skinny + $15 sports package) I would be very happy.
I wouldn't hold my breath, for that pricing. Rogers and Bell are huge corporations that are not about to tell their investors that they are losing profit. They know full well that 90% of their customers only watch a handful of channels at best and even these are obnoxious with all the commercials, compared with VOD services online. The rest of the channels are filler to justify the bloated pricing. It wouldn't surprise me if the price is actually double for what you want, plus whatever you pay less out of one pocket, Bell and Rogers will take from your other pocket, meaning internet rates will likely climb.

If I were the CRTC, I would focus on untangling Bell's control over phone line infrastructure and making the ISP landscape a lot more competative, because the internet is where the most important telco turf battles will take place.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2011
1692 posts
289 upvotes
Calgary
Hank1974 wrote: Me too. It's why I'm hesitant to completely cut the cord.
I love baseball and even though I had a MLB.tv subscription, the one thing I missed was the between-innings dialogue with the Sportsnet crew.
That's why I'd like to keep a legit service instead of trying to find a decent feed via an Android device.

The one reason I'm hesitant to try an IPTV service is that I don't want to fiddle with all the components and equipment. I work in IT and the last thing I want to do when coming home is work on more technology. It's like asking a mailman to go for a walk on his day off.
When I turn my TV on, I want to sit and veg and not have to worry about rebooting components or performing factory resets.
I'm not saying Zazeen has those issues, but it's something I'm concerned about.
My husband said exactly this the other day when I suggested he look into a cheaper alternative to his $90/mo Bell expressvu bill. he only watches a few channels, he likes soccer from europe, and hockey. He likes the home reno shows too. But $90/mo is ridiculous for this. This is just for their sattellite service, no internet or phone. Unfortunately, he's not tech savvy, so I am the one who would have to be performing the factory resets and reboots, and I'm not a TV watcher. I wish there was a simple solution to this hostage situation that Big Cable has us roped into. We are in Calgary.
Banned
Feb 29, 2012
84 posts
18 upvotes
Montreal
kotoula wrote: My husband said exactly this the other day when I suggested he look into a cheaper alternative to his $90/mo Bell expressvu bill. he only watches a few channels, he likes soccer from europe, and hockey. He likes the home reno shows too. But $90/mo is ridiculous for this. This is just for their sattellite service, no internet or phone. Unfortunately, he's not tech savvy, so I am the one who would have to be performing the factory resets and reboots, and I'm not a TV watcher. I wish there was a simple solution to this hostage situation that Big Cable has us roped into. We are in Calgary.
I've never had to do a factory reset on any of the STB's I've had or tested and only had to reboot them a handful of times in the 2+years I've been using the service.
Jul 8, 2009
125 posts
3 upvotes
My wife just loves it, can't get the remote away from her :D
Dec 21, 2006
222 posts
24 upvotes
Toronto
So how is the quality and outages on Zazeen? Any experience with long-time users?
Deal Addict
Mar 9, 2012
4102 posts
2980 upvotes
Kitchener
Fergless wrote: My wife just loves it, can't get the remote away from her :D
Setting for SD possible? (only have 300GB on Rogers..)
Jul 8, 2009
125 posts
3 upvotes
jeff1970 wrote: Setting for SD possible? (only have 300GB on Rogers..)
No. The channels are either SD or HD, no way to change that.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)