• Last Updated:
  • Jun 20th, 2009 11:55 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 27, 2005
924 posts
95 upvotes

[Zellers] Zellers: 12 X 10 Gazebo $215.99

Today at Zellers bought a 12 x 10 Gazebo. Regular price was $499.99 was on sale for $399.99. Then they had 40% off lowest ticketed price which brought it down to $239.99. Also if you used your HBC card you got an extra 10% which brought down to $215.99 plus taxes.

Also had 20x points today. On this purchase that worked out to about 245k which is $30 in free gift cards as well.

I bought the matching mosquito screen regular $89.99 for $48.59 plus taxes as well.

Total out the door for both was $298.98 and I got $30 back in HBC giftcards. Regular price would have been $666.68 taxes in and no giftcards.

So basically 60% off when all factored in.
23 replies
Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
That's a great price. I'd be hard pressed to spend very much on one again and here's why...
Just a word of warning to people that have never had a gazebo. Even if you bring the tent part in during the off season, the material really only lasts a couple of years, three tops. They tend to fade and shred. I had two different ones from Costco that aged the same way. The first one turned pink after one season, lol. Sunbrella fabric or the like, after all is still fabric, and it just takes a beating the constant 4-5 months or so you have it out each year.
All you have to do is check your neighbours' or take notice when you drive around to see how tattered they look.
The expensive upfront and longterm option is to build a pergola or buy one of those hardroofed ones. The cheaper option is to buy an umbrella when there is a decent sale knowing you'll replace it anyways in a few years.
If you have your heart set on owning a gazebo, at least treat it with UVprotector before putting it up.
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3083 posts
399 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
zoolander wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 2:56 am
That's a great price. I'd be hard pressed to spend very much on one again and here's why...
Just a word of warning to people that have never had a gazebo. Even if you bring the tent part in during the off season, the material really only lasts a couple of years, three tops. They tend to fade and shred. I had two different ones from Costco that aged the same way. The first one turned pink after one season, lol. Sunbrella fabric or the like, after all is still fabric, and it just takes a beating the constant 4-5 months or so you have it out each year.
All you have to do is check your neighbours' or take notice when you drive around to see how tattered they look.
The expensive upfront and longterm option is to build a pergola or buy one of those hardroofed ones. The cheaper option is to buy an umbrella when there is a decent sale knowing you'll replace it anyways in a few years.
If you have your heart set on owning a gazebo, at least treat it with UVprotector before putting it up.
Good price for a big gazebo.

I want to apply some UV protector on my gazebo. Does anyone know if they sell UV protector at Canadian Tire, Walmart, Home Depot, Rona or another big box store? I did a site search for each store but couldn't find anything.

There's some discussion on fabric protector for gazebos here
http://forums2.gardenweb.com/forums/loa ... 53454.html
Jul 29, 2008
425 posts
43 upvotes
Is it this one? I got it last week, same price.. LOVE IT!

Deal Fanatic
Aug 14, 2008
6858 posts
216 upvotes
Ontario
In addition to fading and shredding, I forgot to mention they may also sag and can develop mildew (mine did).
Protection:
303 High Tech Fabric Guard is recommended by Sunbrella:
http://www.303products.com/tech/index.c ... uct_ID=548

CT sells 303 Aerospace Protectant but it's not the same thing. You can always check their "wheretobuy"...
http://www.wheretobuy303.com/index.php?tab=CA
Aug 8, 2007
196 posts
1 upvote
Oshawa
Rona has a product by Cabot that can be used on fabrics for uv protection.
Can't remember the name of it though.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2005
924 posts
95 upvotes
kellidotca wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 4:35 am
Is it this one? I got it last week, same price.. LOVE IT!

That is the same one I bought.
Deal Addict
Dec 25, 2005
1937 posts
42 upvotes
Looks really nice actually!

so this would be for rainy days when you want to sit on your deck?
or I like to be outside but don't like the sunlight?
or strictly for bugs?
Jul 29, 2008
425 posts
43 upvotes
bellboy26 wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 11:34 am
Looks really nice actually!

so this would be for rainy days when you want to sit on your deck?
or I like to be outside but don't like the sunlight?
or strictly for bugs?
all 3
Nov 23, 2006
18 posts
1 upvote
Looks very close to the Tulip gazebo I got at Walmart for $199.
Make sure you have drain holes on the sides of the roof as water can gather there and collapse the whole structure - happened to our first gazebo last year, this year they added drain holes - no issues.
m
Sep 25, 2005
256 posts
5 upvotes
marunio wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 3:36 pm
Make sure you have drain holes on the sides of the roof as water can gather there and collapse the whole structure - happened to our first gazebo last year, this year they added drain holes - no issues.
m

I had that issue with the $150 PC gazebo from loblaws (fortinos actually) but it was nothing a serrated knife couldn't take care of :lol: just made my own drain holes :lol:
Deal Addict
Sep 27, 2006
3083 posts
399 upvotes
Not so easy there Ma…
marunio wrote:
Jun 15th, 2009 3:36 pm
m
I had the same thing happen. Installed a gazebo during the afternoon and during the overnight rainstorm it collapsed. Water had gathered on the four sides of the roof. I even had it tied to the house and a cedar fence for support. I never even got to try it out. :mad: That was a really cheap one.

I'm still trying to find a store that sells UV protector for my current gazebo, my awning and a covered swing bench.
[OP]
Sep 27, 2005
924 posts
95 upvotes
I compared this one to the $199 ones from Loblaws, Canadian Tire and Walmart. This one has better fabric, more roof supports, thicker steel all around and is entirely assembled with bolts where the cheap ones alot of them the roof and sides are preassembled with hinges.

Also mine is screwed into the deck with 16 wood screws so pretty sure mine isnt going to go anywhere.
Feb 8, 2009
60 posts
2 upvotes
Welland
mcfc98 wrote:
Jun 17th, 2009 1:15 am
How heavy/big is it? Would it fit in an average sized car with the seat down?

It is 150# and ~6' 10" long
× < >