• Jan 2nd, 2009 2:01 am
Tags:
None
Jun 1, 2006
317 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto

zellers 20% restocking fee electronics

i returned a router at zellers. the cashier said i had to pay 20% restocking fee. i thought it was wierd . the router was in orignal packing and i had my receipt and it been less than 90 days which is their policy . but the cashier said
"if you return any electronics after 30 days they charge a 20% restocking fee"
34 replies
Deal Expert
Dec 11, 2005
20134 posts
2962 upvotes
salt_26 wrote: i returned a router at zellers. the cashier said i had to pay 20% restocking fee. i thought it was wierd . the router was in orignal packing and i had my receipt and it been less than 90 days which is their policy . but the cashier said
"if you return any electronics after 30 days they charge a 20% restocking fee"
What?

I'd ask her to show you that in the policy. I have never heard of such a thing at Zellers, and the store policies section at HBC.com doesn't mention it either.
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
brunes wrote: What?

I'd ask her to show you that in the policy. I have never heard of such a thing at Zellers, and the store policies section at HBC.com doesn't mention it either.
This is the norm for most stores now.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
This is illegal unless you were informed of it at the time of your purchase (either on your receipt or a clearly posted store policy.)

I have a hard time believing this... can anyone else confirm this is true? Zellers has historically been good with returns.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
summerfan wrote: This is the norm for most stores now.
No, it isn't, for big stores at least.
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
Kurtz7834 wrote: This is illegal unless you were informed of it at the time of your purchase (either on your receipt or a clearly posted store policy.)

I have a hard time believing this... can anyone else confirm this is true? Zellers has historically been good with returns.
It is right on the bill when you get it.

Kurtz
Bestbuy
Futureshop
Staples

All have a restocking fee.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
summerfan wrote: It is right on the bill when you get it.

Kurtz
Bestbuy
Futureshop
Staples

I have never been charged a restocking fee at any of those stores. Please stop spreading misinformation.

To confirm, I just checked on the Futureshop.ca web site:

Buy it online, return it in-store.

Need to exchange or refund your futureshop.ca purchase? It's as easy as 1-2-3:
Print out your purchase receipt from MY ORDERS.
Bring your receipt, packing slip and new, unused item(s) to any Future Shop retail store for an exchange or full refund within:
30 days of receiving your order for most product categories.
14 days of receiving your order for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Laptop Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, Portable DVD Players and Air Conditioners.
Our customer service department will help you with your exchange or refund the full value of your purchase. The funds will be applied toyour credit card within seven (7) days.
To find a store near you, please visit our Store Locator.

If you would like to return a heavy goods item, please contact our Customer Care Department at 1-800-663-2275. Shipping and handling (S&H) charges are non-refundable; however, we will gladly refund your original shipping cost if you are returning an item because of an error on our part, or we have determined that the product is defective.

Web Only products
Products that are available online only can also be returned to any Future Shop store for a full refund upon presentation of the sales receipt. Exchanges for these products however cannot be handled at a Future Shop store since they are sold only through our online store.

Seems pretty simple and clear to me. I don't know where you are getting this information from, but it is wrong.
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
Kurtz7834 wrote: I have never been charged a restocking fee at any of those stores. Please stop spreading misinformation.

To confirm, I just checked on the Futureshop.ca web site:

Buy it online, return it in-store.

Need to exchange or refund your futureshop.ca purchase? It's as easy as 1-2-3:
Print out your purchase receipt from MY ORDERS.
Bring your receipt, packing slip and new, unused item(s) to any Future Shop retail store for an exchange or full refund within:
30 days of receiving your order for most product categories.
14 days of receiving your order for Computers, Monitors, Printers, Laptop Computers, Camcorders, Digital Cameras, Portable DVD Players and Air Conditioners.
Our customer service department will help you with your exchange or refund the full value of your purchase. The funds will be applied toyour credit card within seven (7) days.
To find a store near you, please visit our Store Locator.

If you would like to return a heavy goods item, please contact our Customer Care Department at 1-800-663-2275. Shipping and handling (S&H) charges are non-refundable; however, we will gladly refund your original shipping cost if you are returning an item because of an error on our part, or we have determined that the product is defective.

Web Only products
Products that are available online only can also be returned to any Future Shop store for a full refund upon presentation of the sales receipt. Exchanges for these products however cannot be handled at a Future Shop store since they are sold only through our online store.

Seems pretty simple and clear to me. I don't know where you are getting this information from, but it is wrong.

Maybe its not the same in toronto.In kanata i returned a radio back in the winter and was charged a 10% restocking fee.I did take it to fs.
Feb 4, 2007
191 posts
11 upvotes
summerfan wrote: Maybe its not the same in toronto.In kanata i returned a radio back in the winter and was charged a 10% restocking fee.I did take it to fs.
that's strange, i don't see any info about restocking fee on my zellers and staples bills, and never been charged one from these stores
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
summerfan wrote: Maybe its not the same in toronto.In kanata i returned a radio back in the winter and was charged a 10% restocking fee.I did take it to fs.
Next time you're charged such a thing I'd complain to the manager and if that doesn't resolve things, contact head office.
Banned
May 26, 2007
326 posts
Kurtz7834 wrote: Next time you're charged such a thing I'd complain to the manager and if that doesn't resolve things, contact head office.
It was right on the bill.
Deal Expert
Oct 27, 2003
18444 posts
9757 upvotes
Greater Toronto Area
summerfan wrote: It was right on the bill.
Well, if it's on the receipt it's legally fair game for them to charge it. Although it may contradict store policy from head office as that is not part of their official policies on the website. Futureshop stores are supposed to have consistent policies nationwide.

This is news to me though, I've never heard of that before.
Deal Addict
Aug 13, 2004
1120 posts
39 upvotes
summerfan wrote: It is right on the bill when you get it.

Kurtz
Bestbuy
Futureshop
Staples

Staples doesn't.
Deal Addict
Jan 30, 2007
3036 posts
219 upvotes
Surrey
Kurtz7834 wrote: Well, if it's on the receipt it's legally fair game for them to charge it.
Actually, it's not fair game. Why? Because the consumer is issued the receipt AFTER the transaction has been completed. The consumer must be advised BEFORE the transaction is completed of any extra conditions in order for them to make an informed decision.
Alan lost his fight against cancer at just 5 years, 2 months old. I'm riding to Conquer Cancer, in memory of Alan.
Please donate toward my fundraising efforts and support research into childhood cancers.
Simply scan my avatar to go straight to the donation page!
Jun 1, 2006
317 posts
4 upvotes
Toronto
i spoke with the supervisor and asked her to show me where it says on the store policy because i never heard of such a thing. she said it wasnt written on the receipt but it is a procedure which they for ALL the electronic items. i asked her this repeately and she very confidently replied that they have a restocking fee for all electronis after the 30 day period. she even told me that i was lucky they were only charging 20%. they could charge 30, 40%. i was in plain shock. i took down her name and gonna call head office to verify this.
i think a restocking fee is for an item like router is utter crap esp for a company like zellers who loosing out so much business nowadays. the item was in salable condition, i did have my proof of purchase. they didnt incur any cost to handle the return.. most of the time their stores are just empty with no customers ? then why the resocking fee ..?
brunes wrote: What?

Mar 14, 2006
655 posts
28 upvotes
salt_26 wrote: i spoke with the supervisor and asked her to show me where it says on the store policy because i never heard of such a thing. she said it wasnt written on the receipt but it is a procedure which they for ALL the electronic items. i asked her this repeately and she very confidently replied that they have a restocking fee for all electronis after the 30 day period. she even told me that i was lucky they were only charging 20%. they could charge 30, 40%. i was in plain shock. i took down her name and gonna call head office to verify this.
i think a restocking fee is for an item like router is utter crap esp for a company like zellers who loosing out so much business nowadays. the item was in salable condition, i did have my proof of purchase. they didnt incur any cost to handle the return.. most of the time their stores are just empty with no customers ? then why the resocking fee ..?
Because you are returning an item, they can't resell it as brand new now. Thus they either take a loss or resell it for a discount, either way zellers now loses money on it.

Restocking fees are normally charged by small electronic stores. This is one reason why they can have lower prices than big box retail stores.
Deal Guru
Sep 9, 2003
10594 posts
4839 upvotes
Burnaby
It's one thing when NCIX does it - they have it specifically stated in their terms and conditions. It's another thing for someone to make it up.

Try again with a different location and/or rep

One person does not reflect the whole company.
Deal Addict
Jan 21, 2006
3481 posts
404 upvotes
Downtown Canada
tsehou wrote: Because you are returning an item, they can't resell it as brand new now. Thus they either take a loss or resell it for a discount, either way zellers now loses money on it.

Restocking fees are normally charged by small electronic stores. This is one reason why they can have lower prices than big box retail stores.
I think we all know what a restocking fee is (i.e. cash grab), the question is whether this Zellers has made a reasonable effort to inform customers that they will be charged.

This is a huge policy change for them, and I for one will be watching intently to see how it plays out.

:cool:
Deal Fanatic
Aug 23, 2004
9468 posts
2408 upvotes
London
no offense to anyone but if you bought something and decided to return it fopr whatever reason, 30 days is lots of time in between let alone 90 days, I think it is pretty fair for a restocking fee after 30 days especially for electronics.