Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Zellers

Zellers - Daytek 32" LCD TV Jan 27 - Feb 2

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 8th, 2012 11:13 am
Tags:
None
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
anybody check it out at zellers yet?
[removed for signature violation]
May 6, 2006
412 posts
4606 upvotes
Vancouver
I was at Zellers yesterday and did see the TV in boxes, but there wasn't a display TV set up. The specs on the box did say Contrast Radio: 1200:1 (I believe).
May 2, 2006
28 posts
(BC resident here)

took one for the team and picked it up... haven't been to zellers in a while so got the 10% discount for signing up for CC... final price was $576 before tax, about $660 all-in. They had 2 at the Metrotown location, I was there first thing in the morning.

I've set it up and put it through the paces, and it's an excellent system. Truly sharp picture with none of that ickiness.

Following inputs:

1: Digital TV Coaxial
2: Analog TV Coaxial
3: 2xComposite input
4: 2xSvideo input
5: YPBR (Component) input (1 only)
6: VGA input (1366x768 rez)
7: HDMI input

so it has a $#!T-ton of inputs, which is nice... one component is weak but still excellent if you can be adaptable.

Picture quality! You have to tinker with user settings, out of the box looks OK, but i had best picture (true blacks and good range, nice whites) by cranking contrast up to 90ish and brightness -down- to mid-20s. It looks VERY nice. No complaints whatsoever. I -really- like the options... you can zoom in up to 16x, on SD channels you can select a whole bunch of aspect options (different crops for widescreen conversion, a very psychadelic panoramic view, and native screen). I also like that it directly takes in digital cable... i split my cable and put it to each of the analog and digital inputs, and on the digital side i got all those digital audio and a few digital video channels :)

Remote is ugly. Like, bargain-basement ugly.

System itself is really nice looking, black model with front-bottom panel speakers.

[IMG]http://img171.imageshack.us/img171/20/dsc3231do0.th.jpg[/IMG]
[IMG]http://img46.imageshack.us/img46/55/dsc3227or0.th.jpg[/IMG]

Overall impression? It's no Bravia... its no POS either. I'd give it 8/10 in quality, value... c'mon... $570 for a 32" Flat panel LCD with 1200:1 contrast, 500 cd2 brightness and that many inputs? it's a no-brainer.

If you are looking for a TV (i'm making it my bedroom TV), don't pass this deal.

dpep.
May 2, 2006
28 posts
oh, and it looks beautiful in 720p, just tested. Handles 480p dvd very very well as well.

dpep
Banned
Apr 6, 2006
714 posts
come on keep the "take one for the team comin" hehehe. i need pursuasion to purchase this TV. or should i wait till next week for another deal? the superbowls is around the corner.
May 1, 2005
396 posts
5 upvotes
Thanks for the pics Dpep - how's it handle regular cable signals?

Must say the unit looks pretty nice.....
Deal Addict
Jan 14, 2007
1063 posts
168 upvotes
dijonpepperberry wrote: oh, and it looks beautiful in 720p, just tested. Handles 480p dvd very very well as well.

dpep
Thanks for the review.

Did it handle SD digital cable well?
What is the specified response time? Does it handle fast action like hockey games very well?
May 2, 2006
28 posts
Sd looks phenomenal. it handles it very very well. On fast action, theres no blurring, at least not to my eye (and i have discriminating taste!... 50" widescreen in the front and dell 24" monitor on my computer). Like i said, a whole bunch of viewing options for standard --> widescreen, to let you fill your real estate the way you want.

I did more testing... and the vga input is sweet. no overscan at any rez (i threw 800x600 at it, 1280x1024, 1360x768 (as close to native as my laptop does), it looks very very very nice.

manual doesn't report response time, by guess i'd say 8ms.

the more i use this tv, the more i get revved about it. this is a slick product.

My review is here on page 3: http://www.redflagdeals.com/forums/show ... stcount=44
Feb 11, 2003
711 posts
115 upvotes
can u post a pic of the remote please...

thanks to those who "took one for the team"
Deal Guru
Jul 16, 2003
11259 posts
1243 upvotes
Toronto
so it's the same one as costco but just all black i guess... what's the model number on the box?

does costco price match????

10% off for using a zellers cc... hmmmm interesting

i can't tell from the pics... is it like a piano black glossy finish or a matte finish?

and honestly haven't been too impressed with the new sony's my cousin picked up the bravia model with 1080p for like $3g and i can say i much my lg lcd much more.. in terms of color, usability and looks
[removed for signature violation]
May 2, 2006
28 posts
it is matte finish more like, certainly not glossy. sorry, digi cam put away for now... but the remote is rectangular, black, and oddly coloured buttons.

dpep
Nov 26, 2003
376 posts
14 upvotes
i have the 42" daytek lcd and im pretty disappointed with the tv...coming from the viewsonic i didnt think it could get much worse.

the daytek customer service sucks floppy donkey nuts and out of the 3 people i talked to 1 could barely speak english and the other 2 couldnt at all...wtf is that about

my tv has black wavy lines when either the atsc or the ntsc tuner is on (i looked at other daytek 42" in costco and they have them too) the tv gets flippin HOT only after 15 mins of useage. When using the vga cables, the tv never goes to max resolution on a pc or xbox.

i dunno maybe the smaller version is better and more reliable but as for daytek im turned off of them now along with viewsonic.
Banned
Apr 6, 2006
714 posts
oh bummmer^^^^^ jus as soon as i thot i was gonna get this TV, an unhappy daytek customer tells me this. thanks maybe i should read on more. hopefully somethin good comes a long soooooooooooooooooooon
Feb 11, 2003
711 posts
115 upvotes
cmon scholar...just try it...zellers has a 30 day refund policy!!!
Banned
Apr 6, 2006
714 posts
i read somewhere before here on RFD that zellers have some sort of restockin fee? is that true?
Nov 26, 2003
376 posts
14 upvotes
if the item is open there is a restocking fee on electronics

however it varies from store to store

i tried to return a 360 platinum that was open and they wanted to charge me 100 bucks to return it so i said FU and went to another store and they didnt say a word and returned it

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)