• Nov 17th, 2017 4:59 pm
Tags:
[OP]
May 12, 2014
873 posts
348 upvotes
Montreal

Zika - Caribbean - alternatives?

So I was considering an all inclusive beach vacation in March 2018 with family and friends (which includes young children and women who may soon desire to conceive).

A little quick research shows that Zika is still a concern
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/zik ... -1.3310209

Any ideas or alternatives?
What are others doing?

Any other locations on Earth that are reasonably priced, not too far from Eastern Canada, and unaffected by Zika?
23 replies
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
246 upvotes
Hawaii, if that's of interest to you.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
You will certainly need to travel further and perhaps pay more $

Florida (with the exception of Miami Dade county)

Fly to London (I believe Westjet still has service from Eastern Canada) then book a cheap inter-Europe flight down to the Canaries. All Inclusive is def available there.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1416 posts
754 upvotes
When it comes to cost and no Zika... Your best bet is going to be Florida.

Although not as many AIs as in the Caribbean.

Lots of nice beach areas though in Florida ... (and there is always Disney Smiling Face With Sunglasses )

Best deals in Florida is looking for a Large House to Rent for a group, could definitely find something on / near a great beach with plenty of amenities... Things like Pools - Hot Tub - Games Room - Media Room etc
Deal Addict
Sep 7, 2004
3170 posts
438 upvotes
GTEH!
I was in the Caribbean this past August, before the hurricanes, and Zika didn't seem to be a big concern, IMO. there wasn't any warnings announced or talk of it.
I didn't bring insect repellent. We were fine on our vacation.
Yes, Zika is still out there, but it's not an epidemic like before when there was an outbreak.
😎
Deal Guru
Dec 31, 2005
13191 posts
666 upvotes
not a big deal. I could show risks for health (short and long term) in countless countries.
Deal Addict
Jun 15, 2015
1099 posts
354 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
FrancisBacon wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 5:34 am
So I was considering an all inclusive beach vacation in March 2018 with family and friends (which includes young children and women who may soon desire to conceive).

A little quick research shows that Zika is still a concern
http://www.ctvnews.ca/mobile/health/zik ... -1.3310209

Any ideas or alternatives?
What are others doing?

Any other locations on Earth that are reasonably priced, not too far from Eastern Canada, and unaffected by Zika?
Just to be clear Zika is not a risk to young children. For the couples travelling their desire to conceive should be held off for 3-6 months. So it's a personal choice. Outside of couples immediately trying to TTC or a pregnant women there is no issues.

Source: many questions/conversations with both my doctors as my job requires me to travel to countries with Zika.
Deal Addict
May 14, 2009
4522 posts
246 upvotes
BrunetteGirl wrote:
Nov 11th, 2017 9:37 am
You will certainly need to travel further and perhaps pay more $

Florida (with the exception of Miami Dade county)

Fly to London (I believe Westjet still has service from Eastern Canada) then book a cheap inter-Europe flight down to the Canaries. All Inclusive is def available there.
The CDC states that there is no longer a concern in Miami-Dade.

OP, you can check the status of each country here:

https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/page/zika-information
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2009
3339 posts
901 upvotes
Moncton
West Edmonton Mall. Ski vacations. Orlando theme parks.

Porter can fly you to Myrtle Beach. You could even save on airfare and drive down to Virginia Beach and the Outerbanks, North Carolina.

The hurricane had a positive effect of getting rid of infected mosquitos in Puerto Rico. But they might return by March.

The Canaries, 21C year round, are wonderful and I highly recommend them. But if you go the “cheap” way via the UK or Ireland , there is some hardship involved because of jetlag and time spent on the plane. The closest to direct is via Madrid. Toronto does have direct flights to the cooler Azores Islands. Montreal to Casablanca, Morocco.

An other strategy would be to go to higher elevation destinations in Peru, Bolivia, Colombia or Mexico City.

Airfare will be your main cost. The kids might not even get a rebate on the airfare. Not particularly original, and not all inclusive, but you could go to Tampa/St. Petersburg. Allegiant flies there from Ogdensburg, NY. It is close enough that some of your could even drive. Rent a house, condo or large hotel/motel rooms and self cater some of your meals.

If your party is mostly francophone and in Montreal: Daytona or chance it further south. Allegiant or Spirit out of Plattsburgh. AirTransat out of Montreal. Or be an original and go to Melbourne, Florida, with Porter from Ottawa. You could also load up the minivan to Albany (Southwest and JetBlue).

Not much nature left in Varadero, and they fumigate like crazy.
Toronto is a very small part of Canada
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1416 posts
754 upvotes
Re - Myrtle Beach, SC

An excellent inexpensive beach destination... But not exactly balmy in March
Record High = 94 F
Average High = 64 F
Average Low = 44 F
Record Low = 12 F
Average Rain = 9 mm... With an average of 7 rainy days in the month

And no AIs, but again lots of great places to rent beach houses at reasonable rates that time of year
(high season in Myrtle is Summer)

Great Family Destination with plenty to see & do too both in Myrtle Beach, and a few hours north (Wilmington, NC) or south (Georgetown - Charleston, SC). Lots of history... Plantations - Fort Sumter etc
Deal Fanatic
Jul 12, 2003
7797 posts
911 upvotes
Markham
Here are what we travelled to avoid zika.

Honolulu
Las Vegas
Calgary, Banff, Lake Louise.
Venice, Croatia and Greece (Mederritean Cruise).

Next probably Bermuda or Dubai or Japan.
Retired Forum Moderator February 2009 - June 2015
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2008
9555 posts
1240 upvotes
Toronto
I went to St. Lucia in March around March break. Highs were high 20s (near 30) generally sunny, although it was a bit balmy to swim at night (some wind at times). Still low was mid-low 20s

Looking at Cuba's weather, it was rainy, and high was in the low 20s, going to the teens in evening. Florida was even worse. Now it was definitely colder than average for that time, but it shows the off-chance of weather can still be cold seasonally in North America, and that the more south Caribbean is warmer. Now those Caribbean countries are definitely not as family friendly in terms of activities and size for a family. More low-key type thing.
Deal Addict
Feb 7, 2017
1416 posts
754 upvotes
at1212b wrote:
Nov 14th, 2017 9:29 am
I went to St. Lucia in March around March break. Highs were high 20s (near 30) generally sunny, although it was a bit balmy to swim at night (some wind at times). Still low was mid-low 20s

Looking at Cuba's weather, it was rainy, and high was in the low 20s, going to the teens in evening. Florida was even worse. Now it was definitely colder than average for that time, but it shows the off-chance of weather can still be cold seasonally in North America, and that the more south Caribbean is warmer. Now those Caribbean countries are definitely not as family friendly in terms of activities and size for a family. More low-key type thing.
RE - Southern Weather

March is normally a better choice than December, January or February when it comes to How Low the Jet Stream Go ... and the cooler temps that it can pull down into places like Texas Coast - Florida - The Bahamas and Cuba (a Polar Vortex here at home in January is the worst recipe for near freezing temps in Northern Florida, and sweatshirt weather in the aforementioned Islands)

If anyone wants a GUARANTEE of HEAT in January, then they have to head into the true Caribbean (not just the Gulf of Mexico) and get as far away as Puerto Rico and the Caribbean Islands that run south thru the Leeward & Windward Islands (again farther south you go the better weather).

St Lucia is a fave. Sounds like you enjoyed it too.

Nothing as wonderful as a Warm Caribbean Breeze & a star filled sky in the middle of Winter. Smiling Face With Sunglasses
Feb 25, 2014
9 posts
Montr
Whats the situation in the virgin islsnd ? Is there still hotel that are open ?