[Amazon Canada] ZOJI Zojirushi SM-SA60-BA Stainless Steel Mug, 20-Ounce, Black

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 12th, 2017 4:28 pm
[OP]
Dec 3, 2017
1 posts
65 upvotes

[Amazon Canada] Zojirushi SM-SA60-BA Stainless Steel Mug, 20-Ounce $33.54

First time posting, so hopefully this works!

This is the Wirecutter's top travel mug pick. This appears to be the lowest price in past two years.

Edit: Someone else posted this while the thread was being approved. Eh, I tried!
Last edited by A574431 on Dec 4th, 2017 10:13 am, edited 1 time in total.
179 replies
Jul 19, 2008
207 posts
44 upvotes
North York
The 20 ounce version of the much beloved Zojirushi travel mug is close to its historical low. I have about 5 different versions of the Zojirushi travel mug (including this one). They work great for both hot and cold drinks. This model is useful for the car with a spout that makes it easier to drink while driving.

I love the 20 ounce version of the mug as it fits 2 'standard' sized mugs. The 16 ounce version was not quite big enough for the second mug.
Deal Addict
Jul 12, 2007
1846 posts
233 upvotes
Were these cheaper at costco? seems really expensive for a 20oz mug, considering what Bubba's and other decent brands sell for.

I just picked up a 2 pack of Contigos from costco for $19.99, so $10/each. Are these really worth 3.3 times that?
Deal Addict
Apr 21, 2007
2773 posts
234 upvotes
Just in time for Kris Kringle - Baha.
Jul 19, 2008
207 posts
44 upvotes
North York
mtlboy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:43 am
Were these cheaper at costco? seems really expensive for a 20oz mug, considering what Bubba's and other decent brands sell for.

I just picked up a 2 pack of Contigos from costco for $19.99, so $10/each. Are these really worth 3.3 times that?
I don't have a Contigo so couldn't provide a first hand comparison. I did do a quick google search and this link came up:

https://www.popsci.com/zojirushi-best-travel-mug

I can say that the Zojirushi works really great. If you are really trying to maximize the time drinks stay hot, pre-heat the mug with boiling water and it will stay piping for hours and hours. Just wish it was dishwasher safe.
Feb 25, 2015
492 posts
330 upvotes
NB
Good deal, but I would recommend SM-KHE48BA - it is $36.63 at the moment. That one has so called "slick steel" interior, essentially stainless steel with some sort of polishing tech.

The SM-SA series has non-stick film coating inside.
"The things you own end up owning you..." (c)
Aug 30, 2017
15 posts
14 upvotes
Guys, I have been using Contigo mugs from Costco for years and this exact 20-ounce Zoji mug for about a year.

Contigo mugs are a great step-up from generic garbage tumblers and mugs but they do not come close to Zoji in functionality for a non-driving user, i.e. someone who commutes by public transit or bike, foot etc.

Contigo does not retain heat for anywhere near as long, loses its leak proof capacities after 6 months or so, not as easy to wash, and they are fat meaning less comfortable to hold in hand or toss into a bag.

Functionality and ergonomics of Zoji is excellent. I will not repeat utube reviewers that cover it quite extensively.

My Zoji mug today performs as well as day 1 and looks harly blemished at all after a year of heavy use and many many drops.

Zoji is double the price but worth every penny if you use it daily.

You will not regret this purchase if you mostly use the mug outside of your car.

If all you need is a mug to sip hot drinks from in your driver's seat, no need to spend money on Zoji, just get Contigo.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
2015 posts
434 upvotes
Zojirushi will seriously keep your liquid piping hot for 12+ hours
I've done it before!

Of course, like the above poster said, that's pretty much overkill for a car mug only.

on the other hand, Zojirushi will undoubtedly last longer too. Many asian households have had their Zojirushi appliances and "thermos" type products for well over 10 yrs and they are still going strong.
Oct 8, 2013
211 posts
139 upvotes
Dartmouth
It's kind of funny with these posts, a lot of great deals on these come up and the thread is always rife with "I got the two-pack from costco. More cheaper more better."

Outside of converting a liquid nitrogen dewar into a travel mug (it happens), this is the best you get for insulation. Keeps things at the intended temperature for longer than anything else. The big difference is while other travel mugs are double walled, these actually have a vacuum between the two walls. Seriously. Your Thermos/Contigo/Bubba/Whatever couldn't tie the Zojirushi elephants shoes.

Thanks OP, I need a new one and a gift for the mother-in-law
Deal Addict
Jul 14, 2009
1284 posts
290 upvotes
GTA
carbide wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:56 am
Good deal, but I would recommend SM-KHE48BA - it is $36.63 at the moment. That one has so called "slick steel" interior, essentially stainless steel with some sort of polishing tech.

The SM-SA series has non-stick film coating inside.
Thanks.

I decided to get the SM-KHE48BA for the "slick steel" interior. Also this one was 2cm smaller than the one OP posted. Since this will be for work and travelling I wanted it smaller (23.2cm tall compared to 25.1cm tall from OP).

Hopefully this is as good or better than the Tiger thermos I am currently using.
Feb 26, 2016
463 posts
77 upvotes
thanks OP! I've been waiting for this to go on sale.. and right now it's close to the cheapest according to camel tracker. picked up two. had one before but it got a bit banged up.
mtlboy wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 10:43 am

yes, the are really worth 3.3 times! I bought the exact same contigo ones from Costco. nowhere near as good.
Nov 29, 2003
300 posts
46 upvotes
North York
I've owned my Zojirushi travel mug for 7 years. Banged it up travelling the world. Still holds boiling water undrinkably hot for 8+ hours with the lid on.

With the lid off, I sip hot coffee for 3+ hours. I'm now surprised whenever I taste cold coffee, because I bought it from Tim's and never transferred the liquid.

Seriously, worth the money.
Nov 12, 2016
88 posts
30 upvotes
I have one of these and it's amazing. If I forget to drink my coffee in the morning it will still be steaming when I get home.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2010
2490 posts
457 upvotes
DFR Headquarter
Daaammmnnn its so pricey...

I thought RFDers love the manna brand one. It usually go on sale for < $10. How is manna compare to this zoji?

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (2 members and 0 guests)

vdemko, nono82