• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2018 3:57 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1642 posts
538 upvotes

Zojirushi rice cooker model differences

Looking to get a new rice cooker for my grandma, I have no clue what the differences are I the zojirushi models.

They range from 200's to 500+

Whats the difference in rice cooked with the higher end models?
15 replies
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2159 posts
360 upvotes
Oshawa
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 12:38 pm
Looking to get a new rice cooker for my grandma, I have no clue what the differences are I the zojirushi models.

Try their website at http://www.zojirushi.com/ and look at the models there.

Put together a spreadsheet on compare on their website.

Try taking photos of the model numbers and then google and compare the specs.

Gosh.
Stress is caused by NOT fishing enough.
JDM ONLY! No North American CRAP!
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
EVA Air Rocks ... Air Canada SUCKS!
Deal Fanatic
Mar 9, 2007
8521 posts
3175 upvotes
Toronto
Made in China / Made in Japan.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1642 posts
538 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 1:41 pm
Try their website at http://www.zojirushi.com/ and look at the models there.

Put together a spreadsheet on compare on their website.

Try taking photos of the model numbers and then google and compare the specs.

Gosh.
Doesn't say much about how it changes the rice cooked...which was what was asked
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2159 posts
360 upvotes
Oshawa
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:16 pm
Doesn't say much about how it changes the rice cooked...which was what was asked
Then youtube them for some VIDEO evidence ... not like it matters ... it's better than Uncle Ben's garbage rice for sure ....
Megabass, Imakatsu, Jackall, GanCraft, OSP, EverGreen, YGK, Toray, Sunline, Nories, Shimano, Daiwa RULES!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1642 posts
538 upvotes
AV-Fishing wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:22 pm
Then youtube them for some VIDEO evidence ... not like it matters ... it's better than Uncle Ben's garbage rice for sure ....
unfortunately theres no videos out there comparing them, other than one I found. Still doesn't talk about the how each unit affects the rice. Just tells you what the different units have.

No one asked if it was better than uncle bens rice :facepalm:...did you take your medicine today lol
Oct 23, 2017
218 posts
86 upvotes
GTA West
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 7th, 2018 12:38 pm

We went through this last year and it was as complicated as buying a car, with "umami", "induction", logic, and colour options lol. Since we eat a lot of rice, I thought it warranted the acquisition of a superior machine. But we finally had technology overload and sticker shock and decided to get the white Panasonic fuzzy logic rice cooker on sale for $99 at Canada Tire.

Works great and the rice is perfectly cooked to my wife's Asian taste and mine as well. We had the round pot type with a simple cook/warm control before.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1642 posts
538 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 8:41 pm
We went through this last year and it was as complicated as buying a car, with "umami", "induction", logic, and colour options lol. Since we eat a lot of rice, I thought it warranted the acquisition of a superior machine. But we finally had technology overload and sticker shock and decided to get the white Panasonic fuzzy logic rice cooker on sale for $99 at Canada Tire.

Works great and the rice is perfectly cooked to my wife's Asian taste and mine as well. We had the round pot type with a simple cook/warm control before.
Thank you!

My grandma also was shocked by the price, which led her not to buy one. So I was thinking of getting it to her as a gift. If I do I'll tell her it was half the price I paid lol

It seems the fuzzy logic rice cooker has the same heating element as the regular rice cookers, its $250 right now on amazon, $100 more gets you the induction heating element (supposed to cook rice more evenly because it heats the pot from all sides). And another $100 gets you the pressure cooker with induction heating.

My grandpa has either the induction heating model or the pressure cooker model, I know it cooks rice very well and taste amazing, way different than regular rice cookers. I am just not sure if the base model $250 fuzzy logic rice cooker makes it the same/similar.

Thinking of getting the pressure cooker with induction heating model but I may wait for a sale. If no sale comes along in a month or two I'll just end up buying it.
Oct 23, 2017
218 posts
86 upvotes
GTA West
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 8:03 am
Thank you!

My grandma also was shocked by the price, which led her not to buy one. So I was thinking of getting it to her as a gift. If I do I'll tell her it was half the price I paid lol

It seems the fuzzy logic rice cooker has the same heating element as the regular rice cookers, its $250 right now on amazon, $100 more gets you the induction heating element (supposed to cook rice more evenly because it heats the pot from all sides). And another $100 gets you the pressure cooker with induction heating.

My grandpa has either the induction heating model or the pressure cooker model, I know it cooks rice very well and taste amazing, way different than regular rice cookers. I am just not sure if the base model $250 fuzzy logic rice cooker makes it the same/similar.

Thinking of getting the pressure cooker with induction heating model but I may wait for a sale. If no sale comes along in a month or two I'll just end up buying it.
My wife was cooking rice over an open fire at the age of 6, so I have to defer to her judgement when it comes to rice :) She can measure just the right amount of water using her fingers. But I still wonder what I am missing without that umami. It also seems that the brand of rice makes a big difference. A lot of asians seem to go for the cheapest stack of bags at the store. Our go to rice has been Thai Oxhead.

When I was in Bali I was amazed at the complicated method they used to cook white rice. But the taste and texture didn't seem any different/better than ours.
Deal Guru
May 9, 2006
10033 posts
977 upvotes
I'm a tech nerd. I'm also Asian who loves rice... And all I want is a rice cooker with an "on" button.

When hearing this "Umami" rice, I was intrigued... but all it does is soaks the rice for an indeterminate time before it starts cooking. So basically it's a timer. Useful, but hopefully this timer isn't a major factor between prices.
Jul 23, 2008
550 posts
66 upvotes
I've never try a rice cooker. The long grain rice I make in a pot (2 cup boiling water + 1 cup of rice, reduce on low for 15 minutes, remove from heat and let stand 5 minute ) is always fine for me. Would I see a big difference ?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Jun 21, 2016
1642 posts
538 upvotes
Dealmaker1945 wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 9:47 am
My wife was cooking rice over an open fire at the age of 6, so I have to defer to her judgement when it comes to rice :) She can measure just the right amount of water using her fingers. But I still wonder what I am missing without that umami. It also seems that the brand of rice makes a big difference. A lot of asians seem to go for the cheapest stack of bags at the store. Our go to rice has been Thai Oxhead.

When I was in Bali I was amazed at the complicated method they used to cook white rice. But the taste and texture didn't seem any different/better than ours.
Haha I never understood how my grandparents measured the water in the rice cooker with their fingers, they always do it though!
Yeah the brand makes a huge difference, I like botan calrose rice, my grandma likes a rooster brand of Jasmin rice. I remember cooking great value Jasmine rice, it had a different taste to it, surprisingly it was really good but it didn't taste like normal rice.

Im going to ask around, maybe one of my friends have owned both models (micom and IH) and they could tell me the difference.
All my Korean friends have some sort of Korean brand rice cooker, they said its has the pressure cooker element and it's over $500. They said the pressure cooker makes a huge difference.
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
2159 posts
360 upvotes
Oshawa
toronto19850 wrote:
Feb 11th, 2018 4:52 pm
unfortunately theres no videos out there comparing them, other than one I found. Still doesn't talk about the how each unit affects the rice. Just tells you what the different units have.

No one asked if it was better than uncle bens rice :facepalm:...did you take your medicine today lol
You can keep that middle finger for yourself for asking such a ridiculous question.
May 28, 2012
9586 posts
1846 upvotes
Saskatoon
tostaky wrote:
Feb 12th, 2018 3:13 pm
I've never try a rice cooker. The long grain rice I make in a pot (2 cup boiling water + 1 cup of rice, reduce on low for 15 minutes, remove from heat and let stand 5 minute ) is always fine for me. Would I see a big difference ?
If it works for you, I don't see any reason to stop. I rarely make rice on the stove because it almost always ends up with a mass cleanup due to boil-over. A dedicated rice cooker doesn't do that, and it keeps the rice warm. I have a Japanese made Tiger rice cooker, got it for a wedding present 20+ years ago. I bought a Zojirushi a couple years ago as a backup. Still haven't opened it. Some Asian grocery stores have Tiger rice cookers that are still made in Japan, that might be a good choice too.
May 21, 2015
495 posts
200 upvotes
Sarnia, ON
I have a fuzzy logic T-fal which looks eerily similar to a TIger.. I've had it a good 12 years now. I'm thinking I bought it at London Drugs on sale for something like $90 back then.. Anyways, can't complain, it works well.. I can't see spending much more on a rice cooker , especially $200.