• Last Updated:
  • Nov 19th, 2010 11:39 pm
Tags:
None
Sep 8, 2010
4 posts
Vaughan

Zoning Bylaws in Vaughan

Want to build a deck - 0.6m from the ground with area not more than 100m2. Do I need the permit to do that?
Does anybody know what these bylaws are?
2 replies
Apr 29, 2007
206 posts
1 upvote
Bubik wrote:
Nov 17th, 2010 8:48 pm
Want to build a deck - 0.6m from the ground with area not more than 100m2. Do I need the permit to do that?
Does anybody know what these bylaws are?
I recommend you go visit the building dept at the city and ask them.
That's what I did when I built my deck. I found them almost impossible to
catch on the phone but when I drove there, lot's of people to answer questions.
They will ask for your address (or at least street name), and tell you the relevant
bylaws for your home.
In my case, the deck has to be no higher than 2 feet off the ground and smaller in size
than 200 sq ft, or I would have to get a permit. Again, in Vaughan it depends on your
address. (I'm guessing it isn't as much the address as it is the size of your lot, but
they look it up by address.)
The place is at 2141 Major Mackenzie Drive. Lot's of parking and as I said not much wait
to talk to someone.
Deal Addict
Mar 8, 2002
3451 posts
434 upvotes
Ottawa
As per the Ontario Building Code (OBC) you do not need a permit for a deck of 10 sq m (I think you mean 10sq m which is 108 sq feet and not 100sq m), EXCEPT if any portion of it will be physically attached to the house (i.e. ledger board affixed to the side of the house). Then it doesn't matter what size it is, you need a permit.

The city building bylaw is here: http://www.city.vaughan.on.ca/vaughan/d ... _Final.pdf
Note that the bylaw does not contain any specific technical requirements with respect to building anything; it's all administrative stuff specific to the city. That's because Ontario municipalities are forbidden from having their own building code requirements since the last major amendment to the Building Code Act.
× < >