Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Zoomer Wireless

Black Friday Double min/text/data on select plans - $36: 400 Canada Wide Minutes/1GB Data - plus $50 credit per line

Dec 17, 2006
567 posts
330 upvotes
Calgary
I thought the retention plan is 60 -10%?
54 a month.
Nov 11, 2011
27 posts
15 upvotes
Edmonton
Just upgraded my $36/mo ( $40-10%) which would expire Feb 2017. Since I upgrade to new plan now I have to pay 1 month of $36 penalty for early cancellation of the old contract. With the new plan $45/mo ($50-10%) they offer 2G data, unlimited Canada wide talk and unlimited international text, CD, enhanced VM with the choice of a phone LG G3 or Samsung S5 Neo for free, again it is a 2 year contract.

She mentioned the deal will expire on Oct 31
Nov 5, 2012
675 posts
395 upvotes
Toronto
Good to know! Yes I got 1 Samsung and 2 HTC phones. Still waiting for the SIM card to arrive. I'm thinking of upgrading to the 2gb plan Zoomer is offering but nah I'll try PM now. I don't like the phones they have right now.
Oaccurescry wrote:
yuan23 wrote:
slowtyper wrote: Is there a way to see how much it costs to cancel the zoomer before 2 years is up? My account contract is until Feb 2017, and I got some kind of samsung (the one everyone else got!).

Anyone can estimate what it would be? I am currently on the $50 plan if that matters but have been on the $40 plan before last month.
Feb. here as well. Assuming you got that Samsung phone? I called in today and it was $24 to cancel, so I ordered my public mobile sim lol. Goodbye Zoomer.

I also have until Feb left on my account. I'm thinking maybe around 30CAD. I hope it's not more.
Temp. Banned
Apr 17, 2016
81 posts
221 upvotes
kc2168 wrote: Just upgraded my $36/mo ( $40-10%) which would expire Feb 2017. Since I upgrade to new plan now I have to pay 1 month of $36 penalty for early cancellation of the old contract. With the new plan $45/mo ($50-10%) they offer 2G data, unlimited Canada wide talk and unlimited international text, CD, enhanced VM with the choice of a phone LG G3 or Samsung S5 Neo for free, again it is a 2 year contract.

Why? You're paying $5 more ($7 if you set up automated billing) for half the data. You're paying $89 over your cancellation fee to zoomer ($5 extra compared to PM x 12 months - $36 cancellation fee) over the span of 2 years, plus you end up being on contract.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
Oaccurescry wrote:
kc2168 wrote: Just upgraded my $36/mo ( $40-10%) which would expire Feb 2017. Since I upgrade to new plan now I have to pay 1 month of $36 penalty for early cancellation of the old contract. With the new plan $45/mo ($50-10%) they offer 2G data, unlimited Canada wide talk and unlimited international text, CD, enhanced VM with the choice of a phone LG G3 or Samsung S5 Neo for free, again it is a 2 year contract.

Why? You're paying $5 more ($7 if you set up automated billing) for half the data. You're paying $89 over your cancellation fee to zoomer ($5 extra compared to PM x 12 months - $36 cancellation fee) over the span of 2 years, plus you end up being on contract.
I don’t follow your math…

PM=$38 vs. Zoomer=$45 = $7 difference/month

If you sell the phone for say an easy $120 [maybe more - don’t know prices, and you can even keep it] but for the math purpose:

$120 /24 months = -$5/m makes it $2 difference/m

He paid $36 penalty over 24 months = $1.5

So it’s only $3.5/month more compared to PM, or even less, depending on selling price of the phone.

In this case I'd say it’s not too bad if you never ever use more than 2GB data [and don’t plan to in the next 2 years] and really, really badly need Canada-wide talking..

I wouldn’t go for that, but everyone’s circumstances are not the same.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes

This is new to me. You don`t need to pay off your contract if you are getting the retention $45 plan without getting a new phone and continue with the old contract.

Unless you want a new phone, you need to pay off the old contract and starts another 2 years contract to get a new phone.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $34 15GB, $11 250MB, 2x $5 50min/50text, $0 FPL home phone,
Fido $5 4GB plan with a free tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
embguy wrote:

This is new to me. You don`t need to pay off your contract if you are getting the retention $45 plan without getting a new phone and continue with the old contract.

Unless you want a new phone, you need to pay off the old contract and starts another 2 years contract to get a new phone.
His previous 2y plan is almost over, so it makes sense to get the new phone now and bring the price down for the selling value... Otherwise, it wouldn't be worth at all compared to PM.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He who gives up a little freedom to gain a little security, deserves neither and will lose both. (Benjamin Franklin)
Temp. Banned
Apr 17, 2016
81 posts
221 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Oaccurescry wrote:

I don’t follow your math…

PM=$38 vs. Zoomer=$45 = $7 difference/month

If you sell the phone for say an easy $120 [maybe more - don’t know prices, and you can even keep it] but for the math purpose:

$120 /24 months = -$5/m makes it $2 difference/m

He paid $36 penalty over 24 months = $1.5

So it’s only $3.5/month more compared to PM, or even less, depending on selling price of the phone.

In this case I'd say it’s not too bad if you never ever use more than 2GB data [and don’t plan to in the next 2 years] and really, really badly need Canada-wide talking..

I wouldn’t go for that, but everyone’s circumstances are not the same.
I wasn't counting the phone, which mind you ties you to a 2 year contract. Not sure if that's worth it for $120.

Option 1:
Cancel Zoomer, pay $36
Pay $7 less per month, no contract, get twice the data but only province-wide calling
Over 24 months, $1030 with taxes, + 36 cancellation fee
---
~$1066

Option 2:
Stay with zoomer, don't pay cancellation fee:
Half the data, 2 year contract, with canada wide calling and say $120 bonus (if you sell the phone)
Over 24 months, ~$1220
If you sell the phone for $120, $1100

Not much of a difference price wise if you sell the phone, but if Canada wide calling is more important than an extra 2GB of data/month, then yea I guess zoomer would be a better fit for him.
Deal Addict
Jul 25, 2008
1607 posts
1431 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Hi everyone,

I don't want to read through this and the PM thread to find my answer, was hoping someone could quickly answer here. I'm planning on making the switch from Zoomer to PM. My contract with Zoomer should be ending this January. I understand there will be a small penalty if I want to switch over now. Do I need to contact Zoomer? I would like to port my old number so I know I need to keep my account active. Once I receive my sim card from PM, I activate it and port from Zoomer, what next? no need to let Zoomer know? They will just send me a final bill and thats it?

Thanks for responding!
Dec 21, 2012
627 posts
158 upvotes
San Diego
can anybody give a true review as user of this connection? How good are they? customer service? coverage?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Didi_beee wrote: Hi everyone,

I don't want to read through this and the PM thread to find my answer, was hoping someone could quickly answer here. I'm planning on making the switch from Zoomer to PM. My contract with Zoomer should be ending this January. I understand there will be a small penalty if I want to switch over now. Do I need to contact Zoomer? I would like to port my old number so I know I need to keep my account active. Once I receive my sim card from PM, I activate it and port from Zoomer, what next? no need to let Zoomer know? They will just send me a final bill and thats it?

Thanks for responding!
Exactly what you said. Don't tell Zoomer. Port your number to PM. Zoomer will send you the final bill with the outstanding phone account balance.
Nov 14, 2004
498 posts
62 upvotes
Markham
dump question, any chance that Rogers would match their price?
Deal Fanatic
Nov 25, 2003
5580 posts
7779 upvotes
Vancouver
Oaccurescry wrote:
I wasn't counting the phone, which mind you ties you to a 2 year contract. Not sure if that's worth it for $120.
Maybe you misread his original posting?

Gentleman said _he already got the new phone_ effectively signing 2 year contract. I wondered to myself why woyuld one do that, and than realized that _in his case_ it was as good as getting PM plan pricewise [calculating the phone in, of course.] Surprisingly [for me] maybe even better if you can sell the phone for more…

Something like this deal would fit me just great too cuz I don’t need 4GB data and more than 400 minutes. Point being I don’t believe in getting the bucket of features I’m not using even if it’s cheap ATM so I will not get the PM plan either. I'd rather look for even cheaper plan with less fillings.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
max011 wrote:
Oaccurescry wrote:
Something like this deal would fit me just great too cuz I don’t need 4GB data and more than 400 minutes. Point being I don’t believe in getting the bucket of features I’m not using even if it’s cheap ATM so I will not get the PM plan either. I'd rather look for even cheaper plan with less fillings.
I have the same thinking and want to keep my monthly payment down. Why pay for something that I may not use. My family members were trained by Rogers to live with 500MB data, 2500 text and 200 local minutes per month for very long time. Zoomer $36 plan meets our need. Agree, everyone always wants more. As soon as I open the tap, it is very hard for them to go back to 1GB/m again.
Deal Guru
Sep 2, 2008
12614 posts
2318 upvotes

Thanks for responding!
Do you know how much the penalty will be? I have a contract ending in january also but not sure how much it iwll cost. Couldn't find the info online.
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
To my understanding, there is no "penalty" for breaking your contract early. You will, however, be required to pay off the balance remaining related to the device you received with your contract. There is no need to contact Zoomer. When your number is ported they will compute what is owed, complete a final bill and charge you what is owed. Please add to or correct this info if you have a different understanding.
slowtyper wrote:

Thanks for responding!
Do you know how much the penalty will be? I have a contract ending in january also but not sure how much it iwll cost. Couldn't find the info online.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
If you signed your contract about 2 years ago, you should have a Samsung Core LTE. Zoomer assigned $309 to that phone. Every month, you phone account balance will go down by $12.88. If you contract ends in Jan 2017, you phone account balance should be 2x$12.88 or 3x12.88 + tax.
Deal Addict
Feb 12, 2002
4150 posts
3251 upvotes
Toronto
bvit6667 wrote: To my understanding, there is no "penalty" for breaking your contract early. You will, however, be required to pay off the balance remaining related to the device you received with your contract. There is no need to contact Zoomer. When your number is ported they will compute what is owed, complete a final bill and charge you what is owed. Please add to or correct this info if you have a different understanding.
slowtyper wrote:

Thanks for responding!
If you initially signed up with a 50% off promo for the first 3/6 months, they may ask you to pay 50% for those first 3/6 months since that promo is usually only given if you agree to a 2-year term (along with a subsidized phone)...don't hold me to this as I'm just speculating on a "worst case scenerio"...I have no knowledge of official policy or "fine print" on the matter.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
13460 posts
12205 upvotes
Fightguard wrote:
bvit6667 wrote: To my understanding, there is no "penalty" for breaking your contract early. You will, however, be required to pay off the balance remaining related to the device you received with your contract. There is no need to contact Zoomer. When your number is ported they will compute what is owed, complete a final bill and charge you what is owed. Please add to or correct this info if you have a different understanding.
slowtyper wrote:
If you initially signed up with a 50% off promo for the first 3/6 months, they may ask you to pay 50% for those first 3/6 months since that promo is usually only given if you agree to a 2-year term (along with a subsidized phone)...don't hold me to this as I'm just speculating on a "worst case scenerio"...I have no knowledge of official policy or "fine print" on the matter.
Zoomer does not have 3/6 months 50% promo. Only Cityfone and other Cityfone partners have 3/6 months 50% off promo.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (0 members and 2 guests)