Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Feb 3rd, 2020 12:57 pm
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11048 posts
10091 upvotes
will888 wrote: I tend to agree. The data usage for even light users creep upwards with time. If people are going to stream audio or video, there really isn't a plan that's adequate, not even 10 gigs per month. Regardless, never over buy what's really needed every month. Paying for an occasional overage is more cost effective.
Zoomer loyalty data overage is only 2 cents/MB at 1 MB increment. Big 3 have big data increment at $5 or $10 for each increment. It costs you $5 or $10 even you are over by 1 byte. It only costs the Zoomer loyalty subscribers 2 cents instead of $5 or $10.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $10 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
Oct 18, 2007
77 posts
10 upvotes
Thornhill
flamez1000 wrote: The fido plan is BYOD, this one comes with a phone. The real cost of the plan is something like $30 a month. Also, some people are not heavy data users, so this plan makes sense for them. Not enough for you and I, but there are some people out there that aren’t addicted to their phones lol.

Freedom is not a comparable service. Apples to oranges.
Guys, my senior relative needs to keep his phone number for medical reasons, so sticking in a Roaming SIM card while in Florida/US is a no-go.
Between Fido and Zoomer, what is the best option for snowbirds who need to keep in daily contact back to Toronto and use data (little wifi available) while in the US for 3 months each winter and several weeks throughout the year? 3-5 GB/month is realistic. I heard Fido Roam was reasonable...but now their website says it's $90 per billing cycle for snowbirds?
A candle loses nothing by lighting another candle.
Father James Keller
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3247 posts
1295 upvotes
Toronto
JeffThornhill wrote: Guys, my senior relative needs to keep his phone number for medical reasons, so sticking in a Roaming SIM card while in Florida/US is a no-go.
Between Fido and Zoomer, what is the best option for snowbirds who need to keep in daily contact back to Toronto and use data (little wifi available) while in the US for 3 months each winter and several weeks throughout the year? 3-5 GB/month is realistic. I heard Fido Roam was reasonable...but now their website says it's $90 per billing cycle for snowbirds?
Call forwarding to a VoIP# might be a choice in the States.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Dec 19, 2007
170 posts
12 upvotes
far away
Thanks OP, this is a hot deal.

Just called in to sign up the plan, super easy.

Fingers crossed after 6 months, the royalty plan will still be there.
Deal Addict
Jun 28, 2017
1663 posts
1029 upvotes
huangpu wrote: Thanks OP, this is a hot deal.

Just called in to sign up the plan, super easy.

Fingers crossed after 6 months, the royalty plan will still be there.
Zoomer does make you feel like royalty.
Oct 18, 2007
77 posts
10 upvotes
Thornhill
9613019 wrote: Call forwarding to a VoIP# might be a choice in the States.
Thanks but the simpler the better, even if costs are higher. It's got to be a reliable cell phone company (Freedom is out) and I was thinking it's between Zoomer or Fido or Telus.
Has anybody had experience using www.smartphoneplans.ca ?
Pro BYOD Canada-USA One Zone Plans with Telus:
Unlimited Can+USA Call+Text* + 5GB = $65
Unlimited Can+USA Call+Text* + 10GB = $75
Unlimited Can+USA Call+Text* + 15GB = $85
They say they will port the number in for the one-time fee they charge to hook you up for a BYOD plan. Sounds reasonable to me.
Father James Keller
Nov 14, 2003
302 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
JeffThornhill wrote: Guys, my senior relative needs to keep his phone number for medical reasons, so sticking in a Roaming SIM card while in Florida/US is a no-go.
What about a Dual SIM phone? Keep the Zoomer for Canada, and a US SIM for travel? Maybe the Honor 6X?
Oct 18, 2007
77 posts
10 upvotes
Thornhill
Cnsultnt wrote: What about a Dual SIM phone? Keep the Zoomer for Canada, and a US SIM for travel? Maybe the Honor 6X?
Thanks but we need to receive calls and texts in the US from numerous Toronto contacts not interested in updating records with temporary US contact phone numbers for seniors (and also being forced to dial/incur Long Distance outbound text or call charges from Canada). Please help with suggestions relating to: Zoomer, Fido/Rogers, Telus and Bell and their respective best US roaming plan options :). I honestly don't want to ever deal with Bell though.
Father James Keller
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
8819 posts
3069 upvotes
Ah, the famous Zoomer promo deal is back, by the looks of it :)

Will be 1 year with Zoomer on the OP plan in May 2018 ... got loyalty by now, already for few months ... and overall quite happy ... 2 GB is enough for me (as I am with WIFI around most of the day anyhow). :)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3247 posts
1295 upvotes
Toronto
Darkman wrote: By the way, this thread is probably better in Hot Deals / Computers & Electronics / Cell Phones ( hot-deals-f9/?c=5121 ) Category ( rather than as it's currently, in Hot Deals / Computers & Electronics / Telecom Category (here) :)
In my opinion, cell phones category is more for hardwares and telecom is on plans and services. Apparently, cell phones are more popular, so I have just changed the category.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Feb 1, 2008
716 posts
16 upvotes
how does the loyalty plan work? do i just call and ask for it? I renewed my contract with them last June to get another free phone.

i remember a couple years ago it was $36 for 1gb, then gave another free 1gb for my loyalty.
Nov 14, 2003
302 posts
106 upvotes
Toronto
dubjk wrote: how does the loyalty plan work? do i just call and ask for it? I renewed my contract with them last June to get another free phone.

i remember a couple years ago it was $36 for 1gb, then gave another free 1gb for my loyalty.
Yes, call or chat. But, likely you stayed on 2Gb loyalty plan when you renewed.
Feb 2, 2018
1 posts
is this one available? zoomer just told me it·s discontinuted this noon
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11048 posts
10091 upvotes
newarrive wrote: is this one available? zoomer just told me it·s discontinuted this noon
If Zoomer rep told you, this promo must be expired after short 5 days!

I cannot find the double data and double minutes mentioned at their website.
We are back to the basic plan...
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $10 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone