Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2019 9:18 pm
Dec 26, 2010
79 posts
55 upvotes
Toronto
CollegeGraduate wrote:
May 20th, 2018 11:39 pm
Could someone provide a summary for the plans that they have?
$40, $45, $50, $55, $60 with 10% off. $36, $40.50, $45, $49.50, $54.

What features do they have?
As a CollegeGraduate, please don't ask others to do the work for you if you are too lazy to read through the posts. Refer to the earlier posts, as there are multiple threads about Zoomer Wireless on RFD. Call/online chat with Zoomer, they are happy to answer questions and are very helpful. If you still have questions after reading, then I would be happy to answer.
Dec 9, 2010
424 posts
69 upvotes
jasonarroyo wrote:
May 21st, 2018 9:55 am
As a CollegeGraduate, please don't ask others to do the work for you if you are too lazy to read through the posts. Refer to the earlier posts, as there are multiple threads about Zoomer Wireless on RFD. Call/online chat with Zoomer, they are happy to answer questions and are very helpful. If you still have questions after reading, then I would be happy to answer.
Agreed. Dude takes the time to calculate 10% off each plan, but doesn't take the time to check details on their website.
My Zoomer Wireless cell phone plan:
$36 monthly, 3GB Rogers LTE data, 400 Canada-wide min, Unlimited text
$50 referral bonus, and free Samsung J3 cell phone
Oct 6, 2004
272 posts
66 upvotes
Bostbrn wrote:
May 21st, 2018 9:40 am
"Cityfone is a Canadian cellular network service reseller owned by Rogers Communications which acquired it in 2010 for CAD$26 million. It provides services through Rogers Wireless."
CITYFONE is owned by Rogers, not Zoomer.
Images
  • Screen Shot 2018-05-21 at 11.55.37 AM.png
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18705 posts
6728 upvotes
Toronto
jasonarroyo wrote:
May 21st, 2018 9:55 am
Give the chap a break. Maybe too much time was spent on college leaving no time for other things. :-)
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
754 upvotes
will888 wrote:
May 21st, 2018 12:11 pm
Give the chap a break. Maybe too much time was spent on college leaving no time for other things. :-)
Yeah, I barely have much time these days. I even opted to invest in only 1 company because I can't keep up with multiple companies' annual reports.

But I had all the time in the world back 13 years ago when I was in College.
Deal Addict
Apr 15, 2009
4067 posts
1756 upvotes
M-Arkham
Bostbrn wrote:
May 21st, 2018 9:40 am
"Cityfone is a Canadian cellular network service reseller owned by Rogers Communications which acquired it in 2010 for CAD$26 million. It provides services through Rogers Wireless."
Zoomer themselves is not owned by Roger, but they're operated by Cityfone and reselling Cityfone services, and Cityfone is owned by Roger.
2x Zoomer $36 for 4GB and unlimited Can wide txt/talk
1x Fido $40 for 5GB w/ unlimited Can Wide Pulse
May 18, 2008
75 posts
19 upvotes
North GTA
Wonder if the 3GB promotion will be extended past May 31.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10670 posts
9785 upvotes
gg22 wrote:
May 21st, 2018 8:17 pm
Wonder if the 3GB promotion will be extended past May 31.
I think so because of the current Big 3 promotions. YMMV
The trend is more data at lower monthly cost.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 3 lines $95/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
May 8, 2013
45 posts
11 upvotes
This is delving back in the thread a bit now, but I thought I would offer a couple of comments in follow up to the suggestion below. I did end up getting a Zoomer plan for my wife, but the FPL thing did not work out for us, because we are in rural BC. They could not port my old landline number to FPL, nor could they provide a local number (all BC numbers offered are in the lower mainland), and most of my local area was not even on their free calling list. So FPL is probably great if you are in a larger centre, but not so great out here in the sticks! In the end we just ported the landline number to the Zoomer phone, which was painless. In fact, the Zoomer CSRs were great all around.

I am now experimenting with TextMeUp for international calling. They give you one free number (from Vancouver/Victoria in BC, which is fine for this purpose), and I can earn free calling credits by tapping through some videos, which is easy to do with the volume down while watching Netflix or something (they do seem to cap it at 40 credits per day, which is 40 minutes of calling, which is more than I use). The only concerns I have so far are that: (a) they sure bombard you with ads, and charge $5.99/month to get rid of them; and (b) they will expire the number if inactive for 15 days, but say they will notify first, so we'll see how that goes.

For comparison, I also looked into TextNow, which has fewer ads, also allows you to earn credits, but at a slower rate, and they expire the numbers faster (3-5 days); and Fongo, which too has fewer ads, although does not seem to have free credits, but won't expire the number for 90 days.

Anyway, what we ended up doing was not exactly what was suggested, but it put me on this path, so thanks!

embguy wrote:
May 2nd, 2018 11:59 am
Few years ago, I was trying to find a cheap way to keep my home phone number. I decided to use freephoneline(FPL). I spent $25 for an used ATA box, $50 for FPL file(costs more now) and $25 to port my home number to FPL. After the initial $100 spending, I don't have monthly charge. Free unlimited calling to most Canadian cities.
freephoneline-ca-free-local-soft-phone- ... ip-821229/

Although the original intention was to keep the home phone number, now it being used for cheap calls to USA and oversea. All of us have Zoomer mobile plan, if we need to call USA, we use home phone or Fongo app on our smartphone.
Deal Addict
Sep 29, 2003
4569 posts
191 upvotes
GTA
Should I get the a5 for $150 or Huawei for $75? Which camera is better?
Nov 14, 2003
244 posts
81 upvotes
Toronto
I like the A5 a lot, *except* for the camera. I get a lot of blurry pictures.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
3095 posts
900 upvotes
hunt3rshadow wrote:
May 20th, 2018 3:50 pm
Sorry, but do you know where I can double check (not that I don't believe you - I just want to really make sure)? Thanks!
why don't you just call Zoomer and ask.
That will answer your question.
Jul 17, 2009
791 posts
247 upvotes
Richmond Hill
ferkel wrote:
May 22nd, 2018 7:05 pm
Should I get the a5 for $150 or Huawei for $75? Which camera is better?
Be aware that the A5 has a fixed focus front camera, meaning anything past 1meter will be blurry

Also you can get the A5 for $0 if you sign up with Fido's $40 5Gb plan, not everyone could get that plan but just letting you know.