Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Jul 13th, 2019 12:28 pm
Mar 5, 2018
1 posts
New arrival in Canada shocked at cell phone prices after paying next to nothing in the UK, but, by Canadian standards, this seems like a pretty good deal. Just signed up a couple of lines.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
749 upvotes
bijoustrollette wrote:
May 25th, 2018 9:17 pm
New arrival in Canada shocked at cell phone prices after paying next to nothing in the UK, but, by Canadian standards, this seems like a pretty good deal. Just signed up a couple of lines.
We are working on it. We will continue to complain until the big 3 give us what we want lol.

Before you arrived to Canada, a typical plan was $45 for 1 GB.
Now we have $40 for 3GB. We are making progress. Give us 5 more years, we might see $40 for 5GB.

I thought my Corp350 which was $50 for 5GB was good, but not anymore.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10244 posts
9456 upvotes
My kid has an intern job at India this summer and paying C$11 per month for 40GB data plan. ATM, while my kid is oversea, I am paying Zoomer $10/m for a 30 minutes plan without text message and data just to hold onto the phone number.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
749 upvotes
embguy wrote:
May 26th, 2018 1:21 pm
My kid has an intern job at India this summer and paying C$11 per month for 40GB data plan. ATM, while my kid is oversea, I am paying Zoomer $10/m for a 30 minutes plan without text message and data just to hold onto the phone number.
I guess we have a long way to go lol.
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
749 upvotes
Just an update. I didn't get the unlock code from Zoomer for the phone they opened and threw away the wrapper which has the unlock code on it.

However, in the name of being poor (priced our renter here), I am moving all my 4 lines over to Zoomer.
Every line will save $14/month and I am allowed to get 4 free phone every 2 years to sell on Kijiji. I am currently paying $50/5GB per line, these were the Corp350 plan back 7-8 years ago.
I will factor in the free phone as $100 each on Kijiji. That is $400 right there, or $200 per year tax included.
The plan side will be $14 x 4 x 1.13 x 12 = $759.36 per year. Total savings of $959.36 annually.

What I am losing out are:
1) 8GB data, 2 for each line
2) Better reception perhaps? The lines I moved over are currently with Telus.
Oct 5, 2010
47 posts
125 upvotes
I don't know if it will be extended but the Zoomer CSR confirmed that the $36, 3GB promotion ends May 31st. The only phone available for free now is the Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime. Really wish I had gotten the second line when the LG G4 was still available. I've had it for about a month now and I'm really liking it.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18359 posts
6429 upvotes
Toronto
My time with Zoomer is over. I tried my level best to ask for a plan upgrade without having to pay off the device balance and they would not make it happen. Since I had to pay off the device balance anyway, I might as well port out and leave then with a data point for considering changing their ways in the future. No real complaints about the service except this inflexibility with upgrading without device balance payment plus the high value assigned to a stale phone selection.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5105 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
embguy wrote:
May 26th, 2018 1:21 pm
My kid has an intern job at India this summer and paying C$11 per month for 40GB data plan.
How do you figure $C11.-?
I'm sure the average wages/cost of Living in India is a lot less than here
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5105 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
CollegeGraduate wrote:
May 26th, 2018 1:39 pm
Just an update. I didn't get the unlock code from Zoomer for the phone they opened and threw away the wrapper which has the unlock code on it.
I don't understand why you even need the unlock code - aren't all cell phones that are sold in Canada now unlocked automatically?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
749 upvotes
krs wrote:
May 26th, 2018 2:41 pm
I don't understand why you even need the unlock code - aren't all cell phones that are sold in Canada now unlocked automatically?
Nope. If you insert a SIM card from Telus or Bell, there is a message that will pop up asking you for the unlock code.
May 18, 2008
72 posts
18 upvotes
North GTA
will888 wrote:
May 26th, 2018 2:33 pm
My time with Zoomer is over. I tried my level best to ask for a plan upgrade without having to pay off the device balance and they would not make it happen. Since I had to pay off the device balance anyway, I might as well port out and leave then with a data point for considering changing their ways in the future. No real complaints about the service except this inflexibility with upgrading without device balance payment plus the high value assigned to a stale phone selection.
Which plan will you be porting out to? Is there currently a better deal than Zoomer?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
749 upvotes
CollegeGraduate wrote:
May 26th, 2018 2:42 pm
Nope. If you insert a SIM card from Telus or Bell, there is a message that will pop up asking you for the unlock code.
Perhaps this is just a timing difference because the new rule was implemented in 2017. However, all phones were locked before that time. So Rogers would include a link unlock code on all of their devices. The code came on a sticker. The stick let will be on the box if there is no wrapper. Or it could be on the wrapper of there is one.

I meant to press edit not quote. I am getting old I guess.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5105 posts
752 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
CollegeGraduate wrote:
May 26th, 2018 2:47 pm
Perhaps this is just a timing difference because the new rule was implemented in 2017. However, all phones were locked before that time. So Rogers would include a link unlock code on all of their devices. The code came on a sticker. The stick let will be on the box if there is no wrapper. Or it could be on the wrapper of there is one.
Well, if the phone was originally locked and sealed, then the Zoomer employee who opened the seal to insert the SIM card should have unlocked it and if that didn't happen, which is what it sounds like, then you can just call Zoomers or maybe Rogers and have it unlocked at no cost to you.
That is the new rule as I understand it - tons of people had their phones unlocked for free when the new rule came into effect.
I remember some had a problem with Bell if they were not the original Bell customer, but that doesn't apply in your case.

Bottom line - is the phone you got from Zoomers unlocked now?
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2016
1903 posts
749 upvotes
krs wrote:
May 26th, 2018 4:03 pm
Bottom line - is the phone you got from Zoomers unlocked now?
Attempting to sell it at $220 without the unlock code. It's a tough world out there lol.