Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2019 3:04 am
Jul 15, 2008
826 posts
137 upvotes
Edge
Will this promo ends today or next month? Planning to signup but still undecided since don't use that much.

How's the referral works?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
signup wrote:
May 30th, 2018 2:28 pm
Will this promo ends today or next month? Planning to signup but still undecided since don't use that much.

How's the referral works?
Next month.

Referral is easy. Just give them the referer's basic account info.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
OfficeGlenn wrote:
May 30th, 2018 2:26 pm
Received a phone call from a Zoomer representative this morning advising that the 3 gb promo plan has been extended until the end of June.

Currently have one line with Zoomer, and planning to port over another two lines from Fido but going to wait until the billing cycle ends this middle of June to port out.
Updated the OP. Thx
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5156 posts
775 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
I signed up on the weekend.
Phone and SIM was sent out Monday, received it Tuesday early afternoon.
Put the SIM card into my existing Samsung S4, called Zoomers to port the number - was advised port from Bell would take anywhere between 1 1/2 and 48 hours.
They lied!
Took less than 10 minutes to get the text message that port was successful.
So far so good.

But re the Samsung J3 prime I received that I want to sell.
How do I figure out if it's unlocked or not without opening the package?
There was no unlock code on the package (assuming one is even needed) - can I tell by the IMEI number or some other number on the box?

When I chatted with Zoomer before signing up, I asked specifically and was assured the phone would be unlocked - so maybe it is - but how to make sure?
Apr 23, 2003
355 posts
133 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
krs wrote:
May 30th, 2018 3:06 pm
I signed up on the weekend.
Phone and SIM was sent out Monday, received it Tuesday early afternoon.
Put the SIM card into my existing Samsung S4, called Zoomers to port the number - was advised port from Bell would take anywhere between 1 1/2 and 48 hours.
They lied!
Took less than 10 minutes to get the text message that port was successful.
So far so good.

But re the Samsung J3 prime I received that I want to sell.
How do I figure out if it's unlocked or not without opening the package?
There was no unlock code on the package (assuming one is even needed) - can I tell by the IMEI number or some other number on the box?

When I chatted with Zoomer before signing up, I asked specifically and was assured the phone would be unlocked - so maybe it is - but how to make sure?
Lol, they don't lie -- they take the precautionary road when porting. If they said you it will be done in 10 mins and it isn't -- there is no doubt some people will get upset and start ranting and whining. If they say a day, but gets done in 10 mins... everyone wins :).

Open box or Un-opened box, YMMV. Are you sure that Zoomer did not open it to check that your J3 was functioning properly? I have 3 lines with them, and every time they opened it to check the phone is functioning.

If your Bell SIM is the appropriate size, put that into your J3:
  • If it is unlocked, you will be able to use the phone
  • If it is locked, it will prompt you for an unlock code
If the J3 is locked, check your box or your service agreement for the unlock code. If not available, you will need to contact Zoomer -- a phone call or online chat.

If the Bell SIM is not the correct size, try a Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile or Virgin SIM card. Remember, Rogers and its subs' SIM cards will not work (Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Petro Canada/Speak-out or any other cards on their network Cityfone/RBC and etc.)
Jul 31, 2009
102 posts
20 upvotes
My wife got the Huawei P10 Lite when she signed up with Zoomer. It looks like a decent phone and the specs are not bad but she's been having performance problems. She does have one of the 'slower' RAM version. We did a cache clear and she also reset to factory default. It worked better for a week or 2 but back to being slow. The phone will stall on her when she tries to open the camera app from lock screen with virtually no background apps open.

Anyone else having similar issues?
Nov 10, 2013
249 posts
89 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
as of yesterday evening they were running low on Huawei phones, about 60 left.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5156 posts
775 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
DStriderX wrote:
May 30th, 2018 3:28 pm
Lol, they don't lie -- they take the precautionary road when porting. If they said you it will be done in 10 mins and it isn't -- there is no doubt some people will get upset and start ranting and whining. If they say a day, but gets done in 10 mins... everyone wins :).

Open box or Un-opened box, YMMV. Are you sure that Zoomer did not open it to check that your J3 was functioning properly? I have 3 lines with them, and every time they opened it to check the phone is functioning.

If your Bell SIM is the appropriate size, put that into your J3:
  • If it is unlocked, you will be able to use the phone
  • If it is locked, it will prompt you for an unlock code
If the J3 is locked, check your box or your service agreement for the unlock code. If not available, you will need to contact Zoomer -- a phone call or online chat.

If the Bell SIM is not the correct size, try a Telus/Koodo/Public Mobile or Virgin SIM card. Remember, Rogers and its subs' SIM cards will not work (Rogers/Fido/Chatr/Petro Canada/Speak-out or any other cards on their network Cityfone/RBC and etc.)
The "10 minute "lie" was obviously a joke....

As to the J3, the seal of the box was broken, but the phone was still nicely packaged with shrink-wrap around it.
I didn't really want to touch that.

When I ordered the plan the Zoomer CSR told me they open the box to make sure all the accessories are there and that seems to be exactly what happened.
The SIM card was taped to the outside of the box - there was no unlock code anywhere that I could find.
Dec 13, 2006
102 posts
144 upvotes
Signed up yesterday over the phone, and the SIM card + phone arrived today. If you live in BC, expect a very quick delivery. No unlock code was attached, but the phone seems already unlocked.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10416 posts
9585 upvotes
FYI: For Samsung phone, look for "NU" on the Samsung phone box label, NU = Network Unlocked. This means that your Samsung phone is factory unlocked.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, PM $37 5GB plan, PM $7 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $115/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Dec 13, 2006
102 posts
144 upvotes
So I'm trying to get the data working on my unlocked S7 Edge bought from Fido. I updated the APN settings and the data still doesn't work. I did a network reset (not factory reset), and still doesn't work. Is factory reset required?
Edit: Still not working after factory reset. Anyone have any ideas? :T
Edit2: All good now. If anyone's wondering, they had to do a line reset.
Last edited by bendez on May 31st, 2018 11:45 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5156 posts
775 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
embguy wrote:
May 31st, 2018 6:10 pm
FYI: For Samsung phone, look for "NU" on the Samsung phone box label, NU = Network Unlocked. This means that your Samsung phone is factory unlocked.
Thanks,

The Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime I just received from Zoomers this past Tuesday has the "NU" at the top right of the label - so I'm good to go.
Deal Addict
Mar 15, 2010
1387 posts
525 upvotes
London
browntrout wrote:
May 30th, 2018 3:37 pm
My wife got the Huawei P10 Lite when she signed up with Zoomer. It looks like a decent phone and the specs are not bad but she's been having performance problems. She does have one of the 'slower' RAM version. We did a cache clear and she also reset to factory default. It worked better for a week or 2 but back to being slow. The phone will stall on her when she tries to open the camera app from lock screen with virtually no background apps open.

I don't have this phone but I do have the Huawei GR5 and it's having the same issues. It's extremely slow (either the processor or the RAM is to blame). There is a way to load another, custom ROM that is supposedly faster but you may have to do a lot of work which would involve rooting it and possibly voiding the warranty. I've only had this one for just under a year and it's been getting worse as I use it.

I never planned on using it as my primary phone and I wish I could upgrade to something much better.
Nov 14, 2003
222 posts
71 upvotes
Toronto
mumbles wrote:
Jun 1st, 2018 5:15 am
I don't have this phone but I do have the Huawei GR5 and it's having the same issues. It's extremely slow (either the processor or the RAM is to blame). There is a way to load another, custom ROM that is supposedly faster but you may have to do a lot of work which would involve rooting it and possibly voiding the warranty. I've only had this one for just under a year and it's been getting worse as I use it.

I never planned on using it as my primary phone and I wish I could upgrade to something much better.
It is faster on a custom ROM, but it will never be a flagship phone.
https://forum.xda-developers.com/honor- ... 4-t3528488

I wouldn't worry about voiding the warranty, especially since you already want a newer / better phone!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
browntrout wrote:
May 30th, 2018 3:37 pm

It might be a problem with the apps you installed. You can try to do factory reset and use the phone for 2 weeks without installing many apps to see whether you still have the same issue.
Carry Tel Internet

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)