Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 12th, 2019 3:04 am
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5156 posts
775 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
will888 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 9:28 am
It is totally evident that Zoomer has a virtually unwavering policy with respect to handling cases like mine. If their policy was flexible, then yes they run the risk that I would share my experiences with others. That comes with the territory of a flexible policy. Personally, I am a firm believer that all inflexible systems must have certain flexibility. There is never such absolutes as a "one size fit all". As great as their customer service is, they will be hurt by this. It is a mark against customer service. Don't expect any kind of goodwill from this brand.
To me that has nothing to do with "goodwill"
You essentially bought a phone with an agreement to pay it off in monthly installments and you want to reneg on that agreement and not pay what you owe them.
What do you think a car dealer or appliance store would say if you bought one of their items on a payment plan and then after a few payments called them to waive the rest of the payments?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5156 posts
775 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
will888 wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 9:34 am
What is wrong with bargaining? It is totally legal and fair way to conduct business.
I'm not suggesting it's not legal - it's just not the normal way business is conducted in North America except in a few very specific cases.
For private transaction, ie Kijiji, flea market, yard sales etc. it's more common, but not in most business environments.

I also don't like stores, usually Ma and Pa stores, that don't show a price and if you ask, the price varies from customer to customer after they look you over to decide how much you are probably willing to pay.
I usually don't buy from shops like that.
Sep 6, 2011
818 posts
1190 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Personally, I am a firm believer that all inflexible systems must have certain flexibility.
Flexibility = discriminatory pricing and service. Everybody pays differently or get different level of service depending on how they haggle. This is grossly unfair.

Inflexibility OTOH equals transparency and knowing what to expect. Everyone who selects a certain level of service all pay the same price, nobody is paying less or more than anybody else for Plan level ABC.

Public Mobile is super cut and dry with no haggling, no customer retention department, absolutely no flexibility (you didn't get your SIM card in time for the promo, too bad so sad).
will888 wrote:
There is never such absolutes as a "one size fit all".
Good for you and the telecom industry agrees with you. That's why there's Rogers/Fido/Chatr/7-11/PetroMobility/Bell/Virgin/Lucky/Telus/Koodo/PublicMobile/Videotron/Sasktel/MTS/Freedom if Cityfone isn't to your choosing. However, this is EXTREMELY BAD for the average consumer and for digital growth in this country. You ask why most of the general population won't sign up for Public Mobile, because 99% of all the subscribers out there are not self-sufficient/knowledgeable enough to go self-serve.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 28, 2005
5156 posts
775 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
isgaard wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 11:32 pm
You ask why most of the general population won't sign up for Public Mobile, because 99% of all the subscribers out there are not self-sufficient/knowledgeable enough to go self-serve.
Public Mobile seems to be somewhat screwed up when it comes to "Build Your own Plan"

When I select what I would REALLY need - 30 days - No Talk - Int'l text - 2GB+500MB bonus at 3G speed I get $45.-
But then when I change "No Talk" to "Unlimited Canada wide talk" keeping the other options the same, the price drops to $40.-

Doesn't make much sense to me - add unlimited Canada wide talk and the price drops by $5.00, if anything it should have increased.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 12:05 am
Public Mobile seems to be somewhat screwed up when it comes to "Build Your own Plan"

When I select what I would REALLY need - 30 days - No Talk - Int'l text - 2GB+500MB bonus at 3G speed I get $45.-
But then when I change "No Talk" to "Unlimited Canada wide talk" keeping the other options the same, the price drops to $40.-

Doesn't make much sense to me - add unlimited Canada wide talk and the price drops by $5.00, if anything it should have increased.
Huawei P20 lite has been added. Free on the $45 plan and $150 on the $36 plan.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Nov 23, 2015
638 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
$150 is kind of borderline for the P20 lite... at $50 it would be a no-brainer, but $150? Does it make sense?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
56kbps wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 12:26 pm
$150 is kind of borderline for the P20 lite... at $50 it would be a no-brainer, but $150? Does it make sense?
Looks like the resale value on Kijiji is $350+, so $150 upfront is actually better than the free J3.
Carry Tel Internet
Nov 23, 2015
638 posts
336 upvotes
Winnipeg
9613019 wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 12:34 pm
Looks like the resale value on Kijiji is $350+, so $150 upfront is actually better than the free J3.
Not bad, but in my case I actually need a new device! My GR5 was OK for its time but pretty mediocre compared to what's out there now.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
56kbps wrote:
Jul 26th, 2018 2:11 pm
Not bad, but in my case I actually need a new device! My GR5 was OK for its time but pretty mediocre compared to what's out there now.
Zoomer is adding some current models, such as A8 and P20 Lite. It is a good sign.
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18480 posts
6559 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote:
Jul 25th, 2018 11:43 am
To me that has nothing to do with "goodwill"
You essentially bought a phone with an agreement to pay it off in monthly installments and you want to reneg on that agreement and not pay what you owe them.
What do you think a car dealer or appliance store would say if you bought one of their items on a payment plan and then after a few payments called them to waive the rest of the payments?
Have you ever leased a car. Six months before the lease ends and the dealer is ready to lock you in for another 4 years. They will deal on the existing contract to do that. I am suggesting the same could have happened in my case. I fully respected the contract I signed. I paid the early cancellation fee. For that, they may never see me again. Is it their loss or my loss. Only time will tell.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Sep 19, 2007
172 posts
61 upvotes
Is Zoomer only for retired persons or can anyone get a plan through them?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
teetotaler wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 1:21 am
Everyone can get it.
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1207 posts
775 upvotes
teetotaler wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 1:21 am
and you get a nice carp discount card. lol
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18480 posts
6559 upvotes
Toronto
karnige wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 12:56 pm
and you get a nice carp discount card. lol
For products that are altogether inappropriate unless you are a senior. I keep on getting letters to sign up for hearing test.
Koodo $40/6GB
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Mar 9, 2015
182 posts
99 upvotes
Calgary, AB
will888 wrote:
Jul 28th, 2018 9:32 pm
For products that are altogether inappropriate unless you are a senior. I keep on getting letters to sign up for hearing test.
You too? I thought it was my wife that 'referred' me to them lol