Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 4th, 2019 11:28 am
Oct 31, 2013
103 posts
44 upvotes
Burlington
will888 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 8:34 am
I thought I could tolerate the two year commitment last time. Those Koodo offers were irresistible. It was Zoomer's fault too with the inelastic rules. I wanted them to give me just 1GB more data from 2GB which was what new sign ups were getting and they refused me. Crazy thing was two months after I left, they were giving 2GB extra to all customers on the $36 plan. Looking back, it was still a good move for me to jump ship. I am just trying to find a good entry point to justify coming back, now that Koodo is not longer the "phone depot" that it used to be.
What don't you like about Koodo.
Nov 23, 2015
710 posts
395 upvotes
Winnipeg
will888 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 8:34 am
I thought I could tolerate the two year commitment last time. Those Koodo offers were irresistible. It was Zoomer's fault too with the inelastic rules. I wanted them to give me just 1GB more data from 2GB which was what new sign ups were getting and they refused me. Crazy thing was two months after I left, they were giving 2GB extra to all customers on the $36 plan. Looking back, it was still a good move for me to jump ship. I am just trying to find a good entry point to justify coming back, now that Koodo is not longer the "phone depot" that it used to be.
My only issue with the 2 year commitment last time was that the Huawei GR5 was not a great phone. After about one year it was laughably slow. It had some nice features and could take good pictures, but app load/response times were just crazy slow. I couldn't wait to get a new device.

Devices seem to have more staying power now though, so I suspect that keeping my Telus-provided S9 until 2022 shouldn't be too bad... certainly not as bad as the GR5 was by the time I got to the end of my 2 year Zoomer contract.
Mar 28, 2015
5 posts
1 upvote
Sudbury
56kbps wrote:
May 17th, 2019 11:24 am
My only issue with the 2 year commitment last time was that the Huawei GR5 was not a great phone. After about one year it was laughably slow. It had some nice features and could take good pictures, but app load/response times were just crazy slow. I couldn't wait to get a new device.

Devices seem to have more staying power now though, so I suspect that keeping my Telus-provided S9 until 2022 shouldn't be too bad... certainly not as bad as the GR5 was by the time I got to the end of my 2 year Zoomer contract.
I had the same issue with the GR5, just renewed for a LG G5 which has surprisingly great specs. they also offered me an iPhone SE 64GB but I passed on it.

Hey, can't complain seeing as I got a 50$ referral bonus at the time. I love referrals.
Dec 1, 2017
125 posts
111 upvotes
RaptorsLeafsBlueJays…
Dangagnon wrote:
May 17th, 2019 12:50 pm
I had the same issue with the GR5, just renewed for a LG G5 which has surprisingly great specs. they also offered me an iPhone SE 64GB but I passed on it.

Hey, can't complain seeing as I got a 50$ referral bonus at the time. I love referrals.
iPhone 64GB from Zoomer? For what plan?
Edit: And when was this offered?
Do or do not. There is no try. --Yoda
Triumph starts with a "try" and ends with an... "OOMPH!" --Memphis and Mumble
Deal Addict
Oct 3, 2012
1371 posts
402 upvotes
Hamilton, Ontario
So my wife's contract has just ended. She really needs a new phone. Here last two phones are Samsung phones and they have been @#$@. The biggest problem is battery life. She currently keeps both her phone and my son's previous phone in her purse and switches back and forth. Neither seems to charge properly even with brand new batteries.

One of her requirements is a replaceable battery, since she does seem to need a new battery every year. She is on the $50/month plan. But none of the phones seems suitable. I had her sold on the P20, even though it is not a replaceable battery. But then I noticed that is is the P20 lite, so I couldn't recommend it anymore.

Any ideas when zoomer might add some new phones to their line-up?
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18793 posts
6813 upvotes
Toronto
KimH089 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 8:58 am
What don't you like about Koodo.
Koodo is expensive. I went to Koodo because they were my phone depot. Now that phone harvesting is over, going back to Public Mobile is cheaper for me. I can use rewards to reduce the costs.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18793 posts
6813 upvotes
Toronto
facebook259 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 3:55 pm
So my wife's contract has just ended. She really needs a new phone. Here last two phones are Samsung phones and they have been @#$@. The biggest problem is battery life. She currently keeps both her phone and my son's previous phone in her purse and switches back and forth. Neither seems to charge properly even with brand new batteries.

One of her requirements is a replaceable battery, since she does seem to need a new battery every year. She is on the $50/month plan. But none of the phones seems suitable. I had her sold on the P20, even though it is not a replaceable battery. But then I noticed that is is the P20 lite, so I couldn't recommend it anymore.

Aren't the current stock of phone options their new lineup. Zoomer is not known for supply newer hardware. You are looking at getting sloppy seconds only.
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10718 posts
9818 upvotes
facebook259 wrote:
I started with Zoomer 4.5 years ago. Zoomer/Cityfone gets the clearance phone from Rogers.
That is the reason why subscribers sell the free phone and get an inexpensive, but great, phone from Koodo.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 3 lines $95/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Jan 16, 2011
661 posts
148 upvotes
Out There!!!!
So my mother in-law is signing up tomorrow. She needs a new phone. I assume the consensuses is the G5 is the way to go?
Oct 31, 2013
103 posts
44 upvotes
Burlington
will888 wrote:
May 17th, 2019 8:31 pm
Koodo is expensive. I went to Koodo because they were my phone depot. Now that phone harvesting is over, going back to Public Mobile is cheaper for me. I can use rewards to reduce the costs.
Are you on a LTE or 3G from Public Mobile.
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18793 posts
6813 upvotes
Toronto
KimH089 wrote:
May 19th, 2019 7:16 am
Are you on a LTE or 3G from Public Mobile.
Both. Not going to lie, LTE is much better. However, LTE lite is totally usable.
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Jan 24, 2006
154 posts
35 upvotes
I just called in to Zoomer Wireless. They have the 3 GB, 400 min for $36 available until the end of the month.
Apr 23, 2003
377 posts
153 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
facebook259 wrote:

Go with the G5, it's one of the last flagship phones that still has a removable battery. $50 plan = $45 with 10% off per month? You could move her to the $36/4GB loyalty plan, sell the G5 and then get a Pixel 3a or 3a XL direct from Google. I sold my spare G5 to a friend for $125 cuz I didn't want to deal with the hassle. You should be able to get $150 or higher, but depends on your region and location. The G5 only has a $250 device subsidy vs the crappy A5 with $400

Edit: G5, Q6, P20L have been removed from their website. I suggest contacting them to see if new phones are on the horizon. The J3 is crap and A5 and A8 are uber inflated.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10718 posts
9818 upvotes
DStriderX wrote:
May 21st, 2019 2:49 pm
Go with the G5, it's one of the last flagship phones that still has a removable battery. $50 plan = $45 with 10% off per month? You could move her to the $36/4GB loyalty plan, sell the G5 and then get a Pixel 3a or 3a XL direct from Google. I sold my spare G5 to a friend for $125 cuz I didn't want to deal with the hassle. You should be able to get $150 or higher, but depends on your region and location. The G5 only has a $250 device subsidy vs the crappy A5 with $400

Edit: G5, Q6, P20L have been removed from their website. I suggest contacting them to see if new phones are on the horizon. The J3 is crap and A5 and A8 are uber inflated.
I am using LG G5 ATM. The battery is not that great comparing my Huawei GR5.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 3 lines $95/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Mar 28, 2015
5 posts
1 upvote
Sudbury
Just a heads up that they've doubled their referral bonus for the time being.

50$ to the referer
50$ to the new user