Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 11th, 2019 7:38 pm
Nov 8, 2018
74 posts
44 upvotes
SB4Deals wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 1:48 pm
Ah, I thought it seemed to good to be true.

I will have to give that some thought then.
I buy my phones outright unlocked from apple and although I have been with Rogers for over 20 years, i cant remember when I last had a contract.

Thank you. I might have another question or two but the 2 year contract I dont find appealing.
The deifinition of contract here is you pay your phone at the end. So why not get a cheap phone and sell it and get that contract cost down? This is what I did, from my previous comment - my cost of contract right now is 35 cad (bought a 100 cad phone sold for 40 and got a referral credit of 25) and this is my first month into joining the plan.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3226 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
SB4Deals wrote:

I buy my phones outright unlocked from apple and although I have been with Rogers for over 20 years, i cant remember when I last had a contract.

Thank you. I might have another question or two but the 2 year contract I dont find appealing.
It is easy to do early cancellation if you select a cheaper free phone from Zoomer. If you get the Moto E5 play, the device balance is only $150. If you cancel you contract after 1 year, you will only pay $75 (half of the device balance) as cancellation cost. Since you will get some money ($80-100) back when you sell the phone, it is not to bad to do early cancellation.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Nov 24, 2017
109 posts
40 upvotes
Sounds to be a great deal but I just dont want to get caught up with any sort of contract, or cancelling and so on.

I saw someone mention earlier that there was a deal for new customers, bring your own phone @ $36 / month for 3GB -> 4GB loyalty plan after 6 months
That was of more interest to me.
But I just phoned them and its not 3 gigs but only 2. Had it been 3 and 4gb after 6 months I likely would have signed up but that is defineely one gig too less.
Ok, thanks for all your help.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3226 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
SB4Deals wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 2:27 pm
Sounds to be a great deal but I just dont want to get caught up with any sort of contract, or cancelling and so on.

I saw someone mention earlier that there was a deal for new customers, bring your own phone @ $36 / month for 3GB -> 4GB loyalty plan after 6 months
That was of more interest to me.
But I just phoned them and its not 3 gigs but only 2. Had it been 3 and 4gb after 6 months I likely would have signed up but that is defineely one gig too less.
Ok, thanks for all your help.
BYOD is $36/2GB right now, which is not a good deal in the market.
Carry Tel Internet
Nov 24, 2017
109 posts
40 upvotes
9613019 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 2:39 pm
BYOD is $36/2GB right now, which is not a good deal in the market.
I have been paying $65 per iphone (2) at Rogers for 10 gigs but both phones use about 2 1/2 and very little call tiime so 3 gigs and 4gig after 6 months at $36 was attractive.
So far all I am seeing that offers reasonable prices for little usage is Freedom but I am weary of their network.

I cant seem to shake Rogers Face With Tears Of Joy

Pity this one was not 3 and 4 gigs
Nov 24, 2017
109 posts
40 upvotes
One last question.

Its been many years since I have had a phone locked to a carrier.
If you do take the free phone and sell it, are they not locked to Zoomer or has that all changed now?

Its been so long I have purchased phones outright, at one time you could not use a phone between Rogers or Bell.
I havent had to keep up on the changes since.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10664 posts
9777 upvotes
SB4Deals wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 3:53 pm
One last question.

If you do take the free phone and sell it, are they not locked to Zoomer or has that all changed now?

Its been so long I have purchased phones outright, at one time you could not use a phone between Rogers or Bell.
Zoomer phone usually comes with a unlocked code. If not, you can call Zoomer to get a free unlock code for your phone.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $25 plan, Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 3 lines $95/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Nov 8, 2018
74 posts
44 upvotes
SB4Deals wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 3:53 pm
One last question.

This has changed long back. Here's a quote from wiki

SIM locking was ultimately banned in Canada on December 1, 2017 as part of amendments to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's Wireless Code. All new devices in Canada must be sold unlocked, and carriers must offer to unlock existing phones free-of-charge
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3226 posts
1284 upvotes
Toronto
SB4Deals wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 2:46 pm
I have been paying $65 per iphone (2) at Rogers for 10 gigs but both phones use about 2 1/2 and very little call tiime so 3 gigs and 4gig after 6 months at $36 was attractive.
So far all I am seeing that offers reasonable prices for little usage is Freedom but I am weary of their network.

I cant seem to shake Rogers Face With Tears Of Joy

Pity this one was not 3 and 4 gigs
Usually Zoomer only offers good deals with contract.
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8829 posts
1808 upvotes
Montreal, QC
SriC63765 wrote:
Aug 8th, 2019 3:58 pm
This has changed long back. Here's a quote from wiki

SIM locking was ultimately banned in Canada on December 1, 2017 as part of amendments to the Canadian Radio-television and Telecommunications Commission's Wireless Code. All new devices in Canada must be sold unlocked, and carriers must offer to unlock existing phones free-of-charge
The last phones I've had were still locked, had to contact them by chat to get an unlock code, painless however.
Deal Addict
Oct 5, 2006
1071 posts
634 upvotes
Calgary
SB4Deals wrote:

Depending on how much you get for the phone you get having a 2 year contract is not necessarily a bad thing. For example my friend has a iphone that he uses on Zoomer, he got $150 for his LG phone from Zoomer (no longer offered). With his referral credits, it effectively lowered his monthly cost to roughly $27 a month for the 2yrs.
Deal Fanatic
Dec 11, 2004
8829 posts
1808 upvotes
Montreal, QC
Just get the Moto E5 Play, with a DSRF/Economic Inducement of only $150, should sell for $100+
And if you cancel after 8 months, you'll only have to pay $100, so out of pocket cost is nil.

If you plan to stay for 2 years, then the P20 Lite would be the better phone but the DSRF is a whopping $500, which means even after 1.5 years, you'll still owe them $125
Jul 16, 2015
296 posts
108 upvotes
Kitchener, ON
Just thought I'd chime in on zoomer wireless since I've had it for about 6 months.

I was with Koodo before for the last 5 to 6 years and ever since switching over to zoomer, my robocalls have been going through the roof I easily get about one per day from everywhere. Spoofed numbers for sure.

Just an fyi and maybe it's just a coincidence, but it's hard not to tie the two together. Wish there was a way to get the data on this. Does anyone else have this issue after switching?
Nov 24, 2017
109 posts
40 upvotes
Have 2 phones on Rogers and both get the same phone calls, once, and sometimes twice daily.