Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2019 8:47 pm
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18492 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
TheImp wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 6:29 pm
I feel that they should charge reasonable market prices for their "free" phones and not an inflated one. It's a de facto early cancellation fee that the CRTC has otherwise banned.
The government cannot shop for the consumer. You must take responsibility for your own purchases. The government cannot mandate markup.

Having said that, Rogers and affiliate companies do operate a rather non transparent system with phone pricing "buried" in the monthly fee. The typical consumer is either to lazy or too stupid to check out exactly what they are getting into. They are happy to receive their zero dollar phone and not think beyond that. Pricing phones are full MSRP is the carrier's way of handcuffing the customer into staying the duration.

While we are on the topic of non transparent pricing for hardware, have you ever wondered why the monthly fee doesn't change after the device balance drops to zero. These types of plans are great for those who stay the duration. They are terrible if there's buyer's remorse before the end of 24 months.

The only brand that offers division between monthly fee and device cost is Koodo. I am sure lots of customers hate the Koodo system because they can never get a free phone. But then again, is there anything that is truly free?
Jan 20, 2012
472 posts
306 upvotes
LONDON
will888 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 10:27 am
The government cannot shop for the consumer. You must take responsibility for your own purchases. The government cannot mandate markup.

Having said that, Rogers and affiliate companies do operate a rather non transparent system with phone pricing "buried" in the monthly fee. The typical consumer is either to lazy or too stupid to check out exactly what they are getting into. They are happy to receive their zero dollar phone and not think beyond that. Pricing phones are full MSRP is the carrier's way of handcuffing the customer into staying the duration.

While we are on the topic of non transparent pricing for hardware, have you ever wondered why the monthly fee doesn't change after the device balance drops to zero. These types of plans are great for those who stay the duration. They are terrible if there's buyer's remorse before the end of 24 months.

The only brand that offers division between monthly fee and device cost is Koodo. I am sure lots of customers hate the Koodo system because they can never get a free phone. But then again, is there anything that is truly free?
The way I look at it is this. It’s like phone financing. As long as you stay with them for the first 24 months.

Let’s say you get a $1,080 phone on a tab for $0. $45/month gets taken off that every month for 24 months.

Now let’s say you pay $85/month for 2 GB and unilimited minutes (this is not an actual plan, it’s just for simple math)

$85 - $45 = $40/month for the plan, $45/month for phone financing. That’s not bad, as long as you keep getting phone subsidies every 24 months or if you really need a new phone. You leave early, pay the rest of your financing off.

If you do not need a new phone, then obviously you’d be stupid to do this. After 24 months, your best option is to just leave the company and go elsewhere if you still like your phone or if you want to buy outright.

They need to make it more clear, but consumers need to do their due diligence as well.
Please do not PM me with requests for assistance, unless I PM you first, or if I give you permission to. That's what the forums are for!
Aug 30, 2007
290 posts
104 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 5:56 pm
New thread, posting this information for people who are considering signing up.

The CRTC banned "early cancellation fees".. but Zoomer forcing you to take a phone at an inflated price is essentially the same thing. You're paying 2.5x what other places are charging for this phone. How is that right?!
They are not forcing you to take anything.

It is a subsidy, not an etf.
Nov 18, 2017
90 posts
49 upvotes
already have an S8,
what phone to get easy resale and won't ding me hard in case I'd cancel later?
Apr 23, 2003
355 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zeenon wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 2:41 pm
already have an S8,
what phone to get easy resale and won't ding me hard in case I'd cancel later?
Get their cheap flip phones ($100 no term). Or the Samsung J1/LG K4 ($150 no term). Personally, get the J1 and sell it for about $80-100 which would lower your device subsidy if you were to leave early.
Sep 6, 2011
785 posts
1167 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 10:27 am
Separating the plan cost and phone retail cost like Koodo for Rogers would lower the ARPU. Using an LG G4 as an example ($250 retail vlaue), this $36 plan would in effect be $36 - $10.42 (per month) = $25.58 per month for 3GB of data. It was also create a demand for the savvy shoppers to ask for this discount when their term is over.
kellmike626 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 10:54 am
consumers need to do their due diligence as well.
Majority of consumers are not savvy shoppers, most consumers are not RFD type shoppers, even most people who go on RDF are not RFD type shoppers, the dumb questions in the Koodo thread and any popular cellphone thread shows that most people are too lazy to do any due diligence.
Jul 14, 2013
256 posts
33 upvotes
Red & White Flag…
DStriderX wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 3:08 pm
Get their cheap flip phones ($100 no term). Or the Samsung J1/LG K4 ($150 no term). Personally, get the J1 and sell it for about $80-100 which would lower your device subsidy if you were to leave early.
I assume the J1 is locked right? Do you have to wait two years to unlock it before selling?
If it's not free, it's too expensive...
Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
18492 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
kellmike626 wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 10:54 am
The way I look at it is this. It’s like phone financing. As long as you stay with them for the first 24 months.

Let’s say you get a $1,080 phone on a tab for $0. $45/month gets taken off that every month for 24 months.

Now let’s say you pay $85/month for 2 GB and unilimited minutes (this is not an actual plan, it’s just for simple math)

$85 - $45 = $40/month for the plan, $45/month for phone financing. That’s not bad, as long as you keep getting phone subsidies every 24 months or if you really need a new phone. You leave early, pay the rest of your financing off.

If you do not need a new phone, then obviously you’d be stupid to do this. After 24 months, your best option is to just leave the company and go elsewhere if you still like your phone or if you want to buy outright.

They need to make it more clear, but consumers need to do their due diligence as well.
I totally agree with this example provided that the phone was indeed worth $1080 at the time of activating the plan. With the exception Apple products, android devices incur a lot of value reduction over the typical one year sales cycle. If a carrier continues to price the phone based on MSRP when the real market price is a lot lower, then the cost of the service component is a lot higher than the $40 shown in the example. Shoppers need to make their own estimate of true value for the hardware and not go by MSRP. For these types of plans where the hardware price is rolled even, there is always the disadvantage of having to always get hardware as soon as 24 months runs out. There is no price drop to $40 per month once the hardware is "paid off". Since there is an implied cost of $45 included in the monthly fee, the inclination is to always go for hardware that has at least $1080 MSRP each and every time. It is a bit of a vicious circle of never being able to do something to reduce monthly costs.

In the case of Zoomer, the hardware costs is inflated, maybe not at MSRP but still inflated. I do see a lot of customers getting the phone that comes with the plan and selling it to offset the monthly fee and then using their own phone which is of better performance. I bet most who sell their phones do so at a price lower than what is assigned by Zoomer.
Jul 9, 2015
139 posts
45 upvotes
isgaard wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 3:22 pm

Majority of consumers are not savvy shoppers, most consumers are not RFD type shoppers, even most people who go on RDF are not RFD type shoppers, the dumb questions in the Koodo thread and any popular cellphone thread shows that most people are too lazy to do any due diligence.

Your point was proven very quickly lol. At the same time, at least those on this forum are learning, eventually..
zjhehe wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 3:26 pm

I assume the J1 is locked right? Do you have to wait two years to unlock it before selling?
To answer the question, all cellphones are to be sold unlocked as part of CRTC regulations from last late last year. If they're not unlocked (but they have to be by now), the carrier must give you a free unlock code.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
zjhehe wrote:
All phones sold in Canada are unlocked or come with unlocking code from Dec 1st.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Apr 23, 2003
355 posts
134 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
zjhehe wrote:
No, all phones are unlocked now or they will give you the unlock code. You can sell the phone as soon as you receive it.
Jul 14, 2013
256 posts
33 upvotes
Red & White Flag…
Ohh okay thanks guys. I'm hoping to hop onto this plan by the end of the month!
Jul 24, 2012
566 posts
64 upvotes
Can someone pm me a referral code please? I would like to sign up as well.
Jul 14, 2013
256 posts
33 upvotes
Red & White Flag…
Same if someone can PM me for a referral. I'll sign up under your referral.

Edit: No longer need. Thx
Last edited by zjhehe on Mar 18th, 2018 4:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1862 posts
703 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
sgtplunder wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 2:38 pm
They are not forcing you to take anything.

It is a subsidy, not an etf.
Semantics. As I said it's a de facto ETF.
The gr5 is a $100 phone. Fido and rogers sell this phone outright for that price.
Zoomer, which is also owned by Rogers, sells it for $250. Why is this?!

You are forced to take a phone from Zoomer if you want their discounted plan... it's not available BYOD. This is the only company in Canada that charges more for BYOD. Why is this?!

Is there any difference between $100 phone and a $150 ETF vs. charging $250 for that same phone? Essentially no. Except one would be explicitly illegal.

Zoomer is bundling in an ETF into the subsidy price of their phones, that they force you to take on contract in order to get this plan. It's forced bundling, which I believe is again supposed to be illegal. It's pretty sleazy and underhanded if you ask me.

If people want to sign up for Zoomer knowing this, that's their choice. I just want to make people aware of what they're getting themselves into. I offer my own story as a cautionary tale. I ended up paying $160+tax for a phone I could have walked into a store and paid $100 for. A phone that I didn't want and didn't need. Caveat emptor.
This space for rent.