Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Jun 15th, 2019 4:44 pm
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2002
2760 posts
482 upvotes
Ajax
Its still a great deal for what they offer for those who can't get on these other plans especially in Ontario.
Apr 23, 2003
347 posts
130 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
TheImp wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 6:57 pm
Semantics. As I said it's a de facto ETF.
The gr5 is a $100 phone. Fido and rogers sell this phone outright for that price.
Zoomer, which is also owned by Rogers, sells it for $250. Why is this?!

You are forced to take a phone from Zoomer if you want their discounted plan... it's not available BYOD. This is the only company in Canada that charges more for BYOD. Why is this?!

Is there any difference between $100 phone and a $150 ETF vs. charging $250 for that same phone? Essentially no. Except one would be explicitly illegal.

Zoomer is bundling in an ETF into the subsidy price of their phones, that they force you to take on contract in order to get this plan. It's forced bundling, which I believe is again supposed to be illegal. It's pretty sleazy and underhanded if you ask me.

If people want to sign up for Zoomer knowing this, that's their choice. I just want to make people aware of what they're getting themselves into. I offer my own story as a cautionary tale. I ended up paying $160+tax for a phone I could have walked into a store and paid $100 for. A phone that I didn't want and didn't need. Caveat emptor.
I understand you are unhappy about the fact you didn't read the contract you agreed to. Now you are blaming the company rather than yourself for not doing due diligence.

You benefited from the referral ($25-50) and the savings from the plan (about $20 per month for 4 to 5 months) versus the $55 plan for 500 MB most carriers offered.

Now you are comparing the price drop of the GR5 to $100 at Rogers to the price of the phone from about 5 months ago... Not a realistic not fair comparison. Will Rogers even sell you the phone without requiring you to get a sim card or activation? Is there stock in their stores?

Honestly, move on. Zoomer is marketing to a niche group, which doesn't suit you. Again, you are blaming Rogers the parent company of this subsidiary.

Please provide an example of where you can get $36 for 3 GB by merely calling Zoomer. All other carriers don't come close. All other carrier promotions, most people can't get cuz they are not with PM or on pre-pay.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27370 posts
13323 upvotes
Ottawa
TheImp wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 6:57 pm
Semantics. As I said it's a de facto ETF.
The gr5 is a $100 phone. Fido and rogers sell this phone outright for that price.
Zoomer, which is also owned by Rogers, sells it for $250. Why is this?!

You are forced to take a phone from Zoomer if you want their discounted plan... it's not available BYOD. This is the only company in Canada that charges more for BYOD. Why is this?!

Is there any difference between $100 phone and a $150 ETF vs. charging $250 for that same phone? Essentially no. Except one would be explicitly illegal.

Zoomer is bundling in an ETF into the subsidy price of their phones, that they force you to take on contract in order to get this plan. It's forced bundling, which I believe is again supposed to be illegal. It's pretty sleazy and underhanded if you ask me.

If people want to sign up for Zoomer knowing this, that's their choice. I just want to make people aware of what they're getting themselves into. I offer my own story as a cautionary tale. I ended up paying $160+tax for a phone I could have walked into a store and paid $100 for. A phone that I didn't want and didn't need. Caveat emptor.
Dude, you're worse than a broken record.
I'm sure you signed for Zoomer seeing it here in RFD and knew full well what you got yourself into, as there were hundreds of feedback from other members about the 2yr commitment.
There's no one to blame but yourself.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1688 posts
611 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
DStriderX wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 8:11 pm
I understand you are unhappy about the fact you didn't read the contract you agreed to. Now you are blaming the company rather than yourself for not doing due diligence.
That's a mischaracterization.
You benefited from the referral ($25-50) and the savings from the plan (about $20 per month for 4 to 5 months) versus the $55 plan for 500 MB most carriers offered.
Referral, yes, monthly savings not in the way you present it; I did not have an in-market plan before I switched to zoomer.. what other companies were offering is irrelevant.
Now you are comparing the price drop of the GR5 to $100 at Rogers to the price of the phone from about 5 months ago... Not a realistic not fair comparison. Will Rogers even sell you the phone without requiring you to get a sim card or activation? Is there stock in their stores?
Zoomer is selling the GR5 right now at that price!
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
27370 posts
13323 upvotes
Ottawa
TheImp wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 8:21 pm

Zoomer is selling the GR5 right now at that price!
Yeah and how much was it at robbers back when you signed up with Zoomer?
Not $100...GTFO here.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14660 posts
5858 upvotes
Hey guys what are your thoughts on the new $36 3gb plan for people on the $45 4gb loyalty plan? I'm wondering if the overages on the 3gb plan would work out to less than $9 if you were to use an extra gig each month. Also, will they switch existing customers onto the new 3gb plan? It seems like a great deal to me. Hopefully they will update the loyalty plans to either more gigs of data or a lower price.
I am a Public Mobile customer.
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10147 posts
9379 upvotes
SickBeast wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 9:00 pm
Hey guys what are your thoughts on the new $36 3gb plan for people on the $45 4gb loyalty plan? I'm wondering if the overages on the 3gb plan would work out to less than $9 if you were to use an extra gig each month. Also, will they switch existing customers onto the new 3gb plan? It seems like a great deal to me. Hopefully they will update the loyalty plans to either more gigs of data or a lower price.
The non-loyalty $36 plan has 5 cents/MB data overage charge.
The loyalty $36 plan has 2 cents/MB data overage charge.
If you switch from your $45 loyalty plan to the market $36 3GB plan, it will cost you about $50/GB data overage. Unless you uses less than 3GB data, it will cost you more.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Koodo $30 plan, PM $38 5GB plan, PM $8 plan to replace Speakout,
Zoomer loyalty family plan for 4 lines $117/6GB, $0 FPL home phone
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1688 posts
611 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
vkizzle wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 8:38 pm
Yeah and how much was it at robbers back when you signed up with Zoomer?
Not $100...GTFO here.
Valid comparison for anyone thinking of signing up right now.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14660 posts
5858 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 9:08 pm
Valid comparison for anyone thinking of signing up right now.
The thing with Zoomer is that they are not the type of carrier to source a cheap phone from. I mean, sure, if you stay with them for two years you wind up with a cheap phone, but as you have found out, going with one of their more expensive phones becomes a bit of a liability in the sense that you have to pay for the phone's outstanding balance if you cancel. The way to look at it could be that you should just go for their cheapest phone, I believe it's a flip phone that they charge around $100 for, which really is counteracted to some extent by the referral bonus. If you're really all that worried about having to pay $50 for cancelling early I don't know what to say. Sure, it would be nice if they offered this deal as BYOD, but as others have said, really there is no better deal on the market for new signups on a quality network.

My wife has been on Zoomer for some time now and we have no complaints whatsoever. The GR5 phone we got is a decent backup in case our main phones break. Their customer service is excellent. And I don't even think I had a phone bill for four months at one point because they were offering $50 referrals and I managed to get four of them.

Honestly if you don't like this deal you should just move on IMO. The remaining 99% of us in this thread are very happy with Zoomer. You're just going to perpetuate a flame war if you continue.
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1688 posts
611 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
SickBeast wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 9:15 pm
The thing with Zoomer is that they are not the type of carrier to source a cheap phone from. I mean, sure, if you stay with them for two years you wind up with a cheap phone, but as you have found out, going with one of their more expensive phones becomes a bit of a liability in the sense that you have to pay for the phone's outstanding balance if you cancel. The way to look at it could be that you should just go for their cheapest phone, I believe it's a flip phone that they charge around $100 for, which really is counteracted to some extent by the referral bonus. If you're really all that worried about having to pay $50 for cancelling early I don't know what to say. Sure, it would be nice if they offered this deal as BYOD, but as others have said, really there is no better deal on the market for new signups on a quality network.

My wife has been on Zoomer for some time now and we have no complaints whatsoever. The GR5 phone we got is a decent backup in case our main phones break. Their customer service is excellent. And I don't even think I had a phone bill for four months at one point because they were offering $50 referrals and I managed to get four of them.

Honestly if you don't like this deal you should just move on IMO. The remaining 99% of us in this thread are very happy with Zoomer. You're just going to perpetuate a flame war if you continue.
I'm happy to move on, I've said what I want to say.. but people keep debating me, lol.
Deal Guru
Mar 14, 2009
14660 posts
5858 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 9:20 pm
I'm happy to move on, I've said what I want to say.. but people keep debating me, lol.
Well, you offered your cautionary tale. However I will tell you that the Zoomer rep told me about all this before I signed up, and he recommended the $100 phone to me if I had any intention of cancelling early. I guess it's useful info for people to know. I personally don't see a $100 obligation as a big deal, particularly when it's partially offset by the referral and also the very cheap plan price. $36 for 3gb on the Rogers network is a really great deal. And for some people on a limited budget it's nice that they throw in a half decent phone for free.
Oct 14, 2017
843 posts
610 upvotes
GTA
TheImp wrote:
Mar 18th, 2018 9:20 pm
It takes two to debate.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1340 posts
623 upvotes
TheImp wrote:
Mar 17th, 2018 3:17 pm
They're STILL charging $250 for the gr5 today! Just checked. That's bat-hit insane! And no way you're getting $150 (believe me, I tried to sell mine).. not when you can pick up one for $100 from Fido, outright.
Why would you want to cancel?

Your subsidy will decrease if you stay on the carrier for a while
Koodo $40 Canada Wide + 8GB + 1000 Intl LD
Public $120 Province Wide + 12GB - $6 Autopay - $12 Loyalty - $45 Refer = $19 per Month
Freedom $35 ($37-BTS) North America Wide + 8GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Sep 15, 2014
1688 posts
611 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
kav2001c wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 12:39 am
Why would you want to cancel?

Your subsidy will decrease if you stay on the carrier for a while
Changing circumstances.
In my case (I mentioned this earlier), my goal with Zoomer always was to move to the 5GB loyalty plan. I thought that plan was a great value and met my needs. The 2GB plan was a means to an end, since you can't get the 5GB plan right away.

And then the $60/10GB plans came around in December. I never foresaw such plans being available in Ontario. It was a game changer for me. $54 for 5GB vs $60 for 10GB? It's a very easy choice.. and Zoomer had no response to those plans. They offered nothing. So that's why I cancelled.
Nov 16, 2007
134 posts
18 upvotes
London
TheImp wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 1:48 am
Changing circumstances.
In my case (I mentioned this earlier), my goal with Zoomer always was to move to the 5GB loyalty plan. I thought that plan was a great value and met my needs. The 2GB plan was a means to an end, since you can't get the 5GB plan right away.

And then the $60/10GB plans came around in December. I never foresaw such plans being available in Ontario. It was a game changer for me. $54 for 5GB vs $60 for 10GB? It's a very easy choice.. and Zoomer had no response to those plans. They offered nothing. So that's why I cancelled.
Did you not have this same rant in the last Zoomer thread that was posted in November.

For those looking for yet another positive take on Zoomer, I've been with them since that November thread, no issues whatsoever.

Thread Information

There are currently 2 users viewing this thread. (1 member and 1 guest)

hazaza1