Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 14th, 2019 4:09 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2004
2338 posts
1262 upvotes
GVRD
Noopster159 wrote:
Mar 16th, 2018 10:19 pm
I just received my SIM card today and phone today.

I plugged the sim card into my Iphone 6 calls and texts are working fine but data is not working at all.
I get the LTE sign at the top, but still no internet access.

I've tried the following:
Reset network settings
Reboot phone
Tried changing APN settings but theres no cellular data option (i think it's restricted by Zoomer's Sim card)

Any ideas would be greatly appreciated.
iPhone is very lame about this, as most carrier restricts access the APN https://support.apple.com/en-ca/HT201699. However you can try plug it into an iTunes and do a full backup there and it should prompt for "carrier update".

If that doesn't work, do a full wipe and reset of the phone. Once you have iTunes restore from backup, it should prompt for carrier update.

I have an old Bell 5S that I had to do that in order to pick up the APN from Fido.
Sep 6, 2011
198 posts
16 upvotes
Oakville
got it, thanks!
Last edited by Ethanz on Mar 19th, 2018 3:11 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jan 20, 2007
111 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
Have read through this long thread and wondering if there is much difference between the J1 & J3 phones. Currently my hubby &I have Moto G (3rd gen) & a Moto E. We're not that crazy about these phones so would the Samsungs offered be a significant improvement or should we see what other phones are available ? Don't really want to deal with selling phones etc and I don't see any other phones to choose from on their promo link. Also, should we get the shared plan or two separate plans?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3233 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
jeall wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:18 pm
Have read through this long thread and wondering if there is much difference between the J1 & J3 phones. Currently my hubby &I have Moto G (3rd gen) & a Moto E. We're not that crazy about these phones so would the Samsungs offered be a significant improvement or should we see what other phones are available ? Don't really want to deal with selling phones etc and I don't see any other phones to choose from on their promo link. Also, should we get the shared plan or two separate plans?
Among all the free phones with the $36 plan, Huawei GR5 has the best specs, then J3.

2*3GB plans are better in most cases.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2262 posts
748 upvotes
North York
Anybody have any luck getting 3gb on accounts older than 6mths?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
10722 posts
9820 upvotes
quazy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:30 pm
Anybody have any luck getting 3gb on accounts older than 6mths?
Any month-to-month subscriber can get the 3GB plan. You need to pay out the device account balance before signing for another 2 years contract to get the new 3GB plan with only 400 minutes from loyalty unlimited minutes. Couple reports was able to get the 3GB plan without paying the device balance. YMMV.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, $7 50min/50text,
2x Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone
Apr 23, 2003
378 posts
154 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jeall wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:18 pm
9613019 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:23 pm
Among all the free phones with the $36 plan, Huawei GR5 has the best specs, then J3.

2*3GB plans are better in most cases.
Agreed -- the GR5 is better then the J1/J3 and it is slightly better than the G3 (but not by much). Samsung's Touchwiz UI is terrible when compared to Moto G3.

Shared plan is not ideal if both of you use a similar amount of data... two separate plans will need you an extra $50 in referrals. Referral for initial switch $25, then separate line via self-referral $25 for you and $25 for husband.
Jan 20, 2007
111 posts
11 upvotes
Coquitlam
DStriderX wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 4:46 pm
Agreed -- the GR5 is better then the J1/J3 and it is slightly better than the G3 (but not by much). Samsung's Touchwiz UI is terrible when compared to Moto G3

Shared plan is not ideal if both of you use a similar amount of data... two separate plans will need you an extra $50 in referrals. Referral for initial switch $25, then separate line via self-referral $25 for you and $25 for husband.
We are very light data users but the referral amounts you noted give the 2 plan idea the edge.
Seeing you are from the Vancouver area, is the Rogers network as good as Telus for here and the Kelowna area (where we go often)? I wouldn't want to switch if it's not too reliable in the interior.
Would the G5 be a significant improvement to the Moto G or about the same, do you think?
Thanks!
Last edited by jeall on Mar 19th, 2018 5:02 pm, edited 2 times in total.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
6200 posts
904 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
I want to pull the trigger soon but still mulling over which phone to get.

My issue is that I don't want to go through the hassle of selling the phone, so I don't want the most expensive ones like the GR5. So my choice is down to either the flip phones or the J1/K4. Are those smart phones utter crap or are they still good as a burner/backup phone?
There's a sucker born every minute.
Feb 20, 2011
783 posts
216 upvotes
How long does it take to see your service info in your account. I signed up Sunday and still no active line shows up in my account. Also do they send you a tracking number for the phone?
Mar 13, 2018
10 posts
1 upvote
bobbyg9 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 5:06 pm
How long does it take to see your service info in your account. I signed up Sunday and still no active line shows up in my account. Also do they send you a tracking number for the phone?
It took a couple days for my line to show up under my account and yes they will send a tracking number when they ship it out.
Apr 23, 2003
378 posts
154 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
jeall wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 5:02 pm
We are very light data users but the referral amounts seem you noted give the 2 plan idea the edge.
Seeing you are from the Vancouver area, is the Rogers network as good as Telus for here and the Kelowna area (where we go often)? I wouldn't want to switch if it's not too reliable in the interior.
Thanks!
The Rogers and Telus networks are fine from North Van to Harrison Hot Springs. Judging from the coverage maps -- Kelowna and the routes to it are fully covered https://www.rogers.com/consumer/wireles ... k-coverage and Telus too https://www.telus.com/en/bc/mobility/ne ... ge-map.jsp. I had no issues when I travelled to Kamloops this past summer so Kelowna should be very similar. Generally, the Big 3 (Rogers, Telus, Bell) are non-issues. It's Freedom mobile where you virtually no coverage outstide metro Vancouver --- or you are roaming in a different zone and charged differently.
Last edited by DStriderX on Mar 19th, 2018 5:12 pm, edited 1 time in total.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3233 posts
1287 upvotes
Toronto
number8888 wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 5:04 pm
I want to pull the trigger soon but still mulling over which phone to get.

My issue is that I don't want to go through the hassle of selling the phone, so I don't want the most expensive ones like the GR5. So my choice is down to either the flip phones or the J1/K4. Are those smart phones utter crap or are they still good as a burner/backup phone?
If you may cancel your service within 2 years and need a backup phone, J1/K4 is a better choice. Just my 2 cents.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Addict
Nov 26, 2008
2262 posts
748 upvotes
North York
embguy wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 3:36 pm
Any month-to-month subscriber can get the 3GB plan. You need to pay out the device account balance before signing for another 2 years contract to get the new 3GB plan with only 400 minutes from loyalty unlimited minutes. Couple reports was able to get the 3GB plan without paying the device balance. YMMV.
thanks, partner would be eligible but f any provider requiring you to take on a hardware subsidy to keep you from switching to better plans. got my fingers crossed that public mobile will have another promo and more referral opportunities sometime soon, or the wifi first MVNO thing will blow up and we'll have some actual competition.
Nov 14, 2003
249 posts
83 upvotes
Toronto
jeall wrote:
Mar 19th, 2018 5:02 pm
We are very light data users but the referral amounts you noted give the 2 plan idea the edge.
You can start with two accounts to maximize the referral. If you find only one of you might go over 2Gb/month, you can combine them into a family plan - Account Split/Transfer is $15.00. When you get to loyalty, the family plans has 1000 minutes limit (free evenings, zooomer2zoomer calling), individual plans are unlimited.