Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 3GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

  • Last Updated:
  • Aug 20th, 2019 8:47 pm
Member
Apr 27, 2011
391 posts
175 upvotes
Toronto
Ethanz wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 10:58 pm
may I ask where and how do you get Zoomer Magazine ? any cost? is it a printed or digital version?
if you signed up with Zoomer, they will mail it to you for free even if you don't want it.
Jr. Member
May 6, 2017
134 posts
89 upvotes
Ethanz wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 10:58 pm
may I ask where and how do you get Zoomer Magazine ? any cost? is it a printed or digital version?
It's free, you should have been subscribed along with getting a CARP membership on signup. Chat with them and ask them to subscribe you. It's printed.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
18494 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
Zoomer has good customer service. Frankly that is not enough to carry them forward. With all the larger data bucket deals happening all around them, the 3GB deal at $40 should be the standard offering. They need to relent a bit with people who have the 2GB plan and allow a plan upgrade without triggering a device balance payout. Anyone contemplating signing up with this service, I would advise selecting the phone with the cheapest tab balance so that there is flexibility to pay out the balance to get access to plan upgrades. The big Achilles heal of this service is that they tie you up for 2 years by force including very dated hardware assessed at well above its current marketable price.
Deal Addict
Jan 5, 2003
3826 posts
2997 upvotes
Toronto
Ethanz wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 10:58 pm
may I ask where and how do you get Zoomer Magazine ? any cost? is it a printed or digital version?
You get a subscription to it when you sign up with Zoomer Wireless. Basically, Cityfone has marketing agreements with various third parties (Sears, Primus, Zoomer Media, etc.) and thus use different names (Simplyconnect, Zoomer Wireless, SearsConnect) and receive different related perks, then though it's all Cityfone service and the same plans. I think you got Sears points if you signed up under SearsConnect, for example. Signing up with Zoomer gets you the magazine and CARP membership.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1215 posts
785 upvotes
kevdanga wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 10:43 pm
Is there any way to port a # via online?
it took me like 1 minute. gave them my cell and account number. they repeat it and that's that.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1215 posts
785 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 11:19 pm
Zoomer has good customer service. Frankly that is not enough to carry them forward. With all the larger data bucket deals happening all around them, the 3GB deal at $40 should be the standard offering. They need to relent a bit with people who have the 2GB plan and allow a plan upgrade without triggering a device balance payout. Anyone contemplating signing up with this service, I would advise selecting the phone with the cheapest tab balance so that there is flexibility to pay out the balance to get access to plan upgrades. The big Achilles heal of this service is that they tie you up for 2 years by force including very dated hardware assessed at well above its current marketable price.
3 gigs data, unlimited text, unlimited evening and weekend calls, 400 anytime Canada wide minutes, free activation, free sim, free phone for $36 bucks seems like a great deal to me. i could care less about the phone and the reason why the plan is so cheap is there isn't a $700 phone to subsidize
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
18494 posts
6564 upvotes
Toronto
karnige wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 12:23 am
3 gigs data, unlimited text, unlimited evening and weekend calls, 400 anytime Canada wide minutes, free activation, free sim, free phone for $36 bucks seems like a great deal to me. i could care less about the phone and the reason why the plan is so cheap is there isn't a $700 phone to subsidize
You missed my point. I don't care much about the phone as well. I got in when the 2GB plan was being offered. I want to switch to the 3GB plan. To do that, I have to pay out the remaining cost of the phone. Because of the inflated price of the phone, I am kind of stuck with the 2GB plan.
Deal Addict
Nov 18, 2015
1215 posts
785 upvotes
will888 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 12:28 am
You missed my point. I don't care much about the phone as well. I got in when the 2GB plan was being offered. I want to switch to the 3GB plan. To do that, I have to pay out the remaining cost of the phone. Because of the inflated price of the phone, I am kind of stuck with the 2GB plan.
well the big 4 do the same thing..... you try the loyalty dep?
Sr. Member
Oct 14, 2017
855 posts
620 upvotes
GTA
will888 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 12:28 am
You missed my point. I don't care much about the phone as well. I got in when the 2GB plan was being offered. I want to switch to the 3GB plan. To do that, I have to pay out the remaining cost of the phone. Because of the inflated price of the phone, I am kind of stuck with the 2GB plan.
You presumably knew the phone price was inflated when you took the deal. And you accepted the implicit risk that they'd come up with another deal you'd like better but would be unable to switch to at no cost. So did I. I took what was the best available deal at the time. I'm not holding anything against either Zoomer or myself because of a deal that was offered later and that I couldn't reasonably anticipate.

In addition, when I signed up for the 2 GB plan, I was able to choose the G4 which seems to be considered a somewhat better phone with higher resale value then than the ones on the 3 GB plan have now, so just looking at 2 GB vs 3 GB is an incomplete comparison.
Sr. Member
May 4, 2007
993 posts
249 upvotes
Montreal
Poutinesauce wrote:
Apr 5th, 2018 8:13 pm
I don't understand people who want features like VoLTE. Why would I care about hearing someone's voice slightly less distorted?
Yeah, I don’t get it either. I guess I’m one of those “seniors’ who don’t make voice calls anymore. Is that what hip and trendy tech consumers do nowadays? I’m interested in these Zoomer plans so I’m definitely “senior”. (I’m a software engineer working in high tech, interested in decentralized computing, blockchain, startup scene, etc, but I guess not “geek consumer” enough to do VoLTE or WiFi calling while simultaneously Snapchatting or Instagramming.)
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jun 19, 2010
3212 posts
849 upvotes
GTA
will888 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 12:28 am
You missed my point. I don't care much about the phone as well. I got in when the 2GB plan was being offered. I want to switch to the 3GB plan. To do that, I have to pay out the remaining cost of the phone. Because of the inflated price of the phone, I am kind of stuck with the 2GB plan.
Unless you have over a year on your contract, even a bargain sale price for one of their 'mid tier' phones will more than cover your balance. If you're changing plans more often than once a year, idk what to tell you, you should know the implications when you sign up.
And I'm not sure I understand your point of "With all the larger data bucket deals happening all around them". Like what? Besides Freedom, which is garbage for a lot of people due to horrid towers, and the Telus deal which is only available to members previously on I think it was Public Mobile, there's no other 'larger data bucket deals'. The only thing close to 'deal' would be the big 10gb for $60 promo that went on, and that's nearly double the price so I wouldn't even consider that true competition as it serves a different set of people.
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2008
893 posts
231 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Qq, can I just give an existing Zoomer phone number as referral? Or do I need the account number? My mom is a customer and I want to refer a friend. It's just easier to give her number rather than have her find her paper bill for the account number.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3213 posts
1275 upvotes
Toronto
l2iceman wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 7:27 am
Qq, can I just give an existing Zoomer phone number as referral? Or do I need the account number? My mom is a customer and I want to refer a friend. It's just easier to give her number rather than have her find her paper bill for the account number.
Phone number (or account number) and first name are good enough.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Sr. Member
Feb 7, 2008
893 posts
231 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
9613019 wrote:
Apr 6th, 2018 7:53 am
Phone number (or account number) and first name are good enough.
Thanks!

Top