Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 4GB data/400 min daytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

  • Last Updated:
  • Feb 22nd, 2020 5:28 pm
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3248 posts
1296 upvotes
Toronto
krs wrote: Has Zoomers in the past ever offered an iphone as one of their phone?
Yes, iPhone SE for a very short period.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
8965 posts
1872 upvotes
Montreal, QC
embguy wrote: It is up to you to get an overpriced phone and lock yourself in for 2 years.
Not 2 years no, 7 months to 1 year max on average.

Examples:
$150 Moto E, sell it for $120, cancel after 7 months, pay $106+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
$250 LG G5, sell it for $200, cancel after 7 months, pay $177+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
$400 LG Q6, sell it for $250, cancel after 11 months, pay $217+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5626 posts
922 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
Daijoubu wrote: Not 2 years no, 7 months to 1 year max on average.

Examples:
$150 Moto E, sell it for $120, cancel after 7 months, pay $106+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
$250 LG G5, sell it for $200, cancel after 7 months, pay $177+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
$400 LG Q6, sell it for $250, cancel after 11 months, pay $217+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
Yes - that is exactly what I'm talking about.
And if you do stay for the 2 years, and say got the FG G5, then you're $200.- ahead vs taking the month-to-month plan.

The only time this would work against you if someone else within the next 7 months to a year has a much better plan.
Newbie
Jun 5, 2017
28 posts
1 upvote
coleonredflag wrote: The $36 plan can come with any of the following devices for $0:

- Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime
- Moto E5 Play
- LG G5
- LG Q6

The device will be in manufacturer box but with seal opened as they need to inspect the phone for insurance purpose. No Zoomer branding.

Does anyone have an idea which of these has the best resell value and how long they take to resell?
I checked eBay sold listings and the LG G5 seems to be the best, selling for around $170 compared to roughly $120 for the other models. There was one posting for Q6 for $200 but it seems far less popular. For resale I am planning on getting the LG G5. Does anyone else have alternate opinion?

I will be using Xaiomi Mi A2 Lite since LG G5 has no bootloader unlocked and I like using stock Android and custom ROMs.
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
12577 posts
2606 upvotes
Daijoubu wrote: Not 2 years no, 7 months to 1 year max on average.

Examples:
$150 Moto E, sell it for $120, cancel after 7 months, pay $106+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
$250 LG G5, sell it for $200, cancel after 7 months, pay $177+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
$400 LG Q6, sell it for $250, cancel after 11 months, pay $217+tx penalty, out of pocket cost is nil
wife's 2yrs gonna expire soon this Nov....can she port out to elsewhere for a month and rejoin Zoomer with free phone again?
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3248 posts
1296 upvotes
Toronto
kiasu wrote: wife's 2yrs gonna expire soon this Nov....can she port out to elsewhere for a month and rejoin Zoomer with free phone again?
You do not need to port out. Just contact Zoomer to get a free phone and keep your loyalty plan.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
8965 posts
1872 upvotes
Montreal, QC
kiasu wrote: wife's 2yrs gonna expire soon this Nov....can she port out to elsewhere for a month and rejoin Zoomer with free phone again?
No need, she can just renew her contract and get another phone
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 27, 2004
12577 posts
2606 upvotes
9613019 wrote: You do not need to port out. Just contact Zoomer to get a free phone and keep your loyalty plan.
Daijoubu wrote: No need, she can just renew her contract and get another phone
wow..nice...so getting free phone every 2 yrs....i know is not the best phone but still...
2007 - Ipod Video (TD), Ipod Shuffle (GM)
2006 - Ipod Nano (TD)
2005 - Ipod Shuffle (TD)
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 28, 2005
5626 posts
922 upvotes
Ontario / Quebec
kiasu wrote: wow..nice...so getting free phone every 2 yrs....i know is not the best phone but still...
If you wish you can get a somewhat better phone with thde $36.- plan by paying a bit extra.

I didn't know that when I joined but people I referred actually did that.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 11, 2004
8965 posts
1872 upvotes
Montreal, QC
krs wrote: If you wish you can get a somewhat better phone with thde $36.- plan by paying a bit extra.

I didn't know that when I joined but people I referred actually did that.
Depends how much extra, the $40.5 plan may end up being cheaper, that's an extra $108 over 24 months instead of paying like $150 extra
Deal Expert
User avatar
Dec 12, 2009
19244 posts
7339 upvotes
Toronto
coleonredflag wrote: Hi all,

I was going to use the LG G5 from this deal but found the model is LG-H831 which has no bootloader unlocked, so I can't root the phone to put on custom ROMS. As I result I'm planning on buying a XiaoMi A2 Lite (https://www.amazon.ca/Xiaomi-Lite-Camer ... r=8-1&th=1) and using that with the Zoomer plan. Anyone know if there's any issue with doing that?

The $36 plan can come with any of the following devices for $0:

- Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime
- Moto E5 Play
- LG G5
- LG Q6

The device will be in manufacturer box but with seal opened as they need to inspect the phone for insurance purpose. No Zoomer branding.

Does anyone have an idea which of these has the best resell value and how long they take to resell? I did check Kijiji and EBay to get a rough estimate but I'm not sure if it's accurate as these are postings not actual sales, I don't know the true value from these just asking price.

Samsung Galaxy J3 Prime - ~$130
Moto E5 Play - ~$200
G5 - ~$200
LG Q6 - ~$260

I was thinking of going with the LG Q6 or the Moto E5 Play due to price listings on Kijiji and Ebay. Q6 seems higher priced but there's more postings for the Moto E5 Play and it also released more recently (2018). As a conservative estimate I am hoping I could get around $150 for either of those considering box is opened but product is new. What do you guys think? Will it take a long time to sell one of these in the GTA given they aren't flagships? Which one is best choice?

Thanks for any tips!

edit: Edited to clarify that I am not sure if the prices I found listed are actually what I will get for the phones
You might want to think of the assessed value of the hardware as well as the potential selling price. When I was with Zoomer briefly back in late 2017, I got their "best phone option" without consideration of the overhang from the device cost perspective. As a result the handcuff were on pretty tight. I ended up leaving and paying off a device balance that was much higher than what I got for the POS LG G4. Luckily, I got a few referrals to help pay for my mistake. As much as the service pricing is good, the lack of good hardware options and how they handcuff you with the inflated hardware costs makes this not a good option overall, at least not for me. My current plans cost a little more but with hardware factored in, I am way, way ahead of the game. In fact, I am extremely happy that I left.
̶K̶o̶o̶d̶o̶ ̶$̶4̶0̶/̶6̶G̶B̶
Public Mobile 2016 fall promo, $23/1GB, $38/5GB, $28 RBC 5GB promo
Fido $0.00/3GB+tablet, $10/4GB+tablet
Tangerine Bank
Deal Addict
Dec 15, 2009
1280 posts
447 upvotes
Ontario
There was a retention offer a while back. Can't seem to find via search. Anyone know the details or the URL to the rfd thread?
Deal Addict
Aug 27, 2003
1371 posts
214 upvotes
riffr aff wrote: There was a retention offer a while back. Can't seem to find via search. Anyone know the details or the URL to the rfd thread?
Look in expired deals instead of ongoing deals.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Nov 23, 2015
726 posts
399 upvotes
Winnipeg
will888 wrote: You might want to think of the assessed value of the hardware as well as the potential selling price. When I was with Zoomer briefly back in late 2017, I got their "best phone option" without consideration of the overhang from the device cost perspective. As a result the handcuff were on pretty tight. I ended up leaving and paying off a device balance that was much higher than what I got for the POS LG G4. Luckily, I got a few referrals to help pay for my mistake. As much as the service pricing is good, the lack of good hardware options and how they handcuff you with the inflated hardware costs makes this not a good option overall, at least not for me. My current plans cost a little more but with hardware factored in, I am way, way ahead of the game. In fact, I am extremely happy that I left.
My experience is similar to yours. I liked Zoomer, but my Telus EPP plan gives me a similar monthly plan in terms of data/minutes, plus a Samsung S9 for an extra $12/mo. vs. Zoomer and the very basic Huawei GR5 I was using previously.

So as much as I liked Zoomer, it is possible to get better deals depending on one's circumstances. The referral bonuses were very nice, I will say.
Sr. Member
User avatar
Oct 29, 2008
513 posts
212 upvotes
L4J
56kbps wrote: ... . The referral bonuses were very nice, I will say.
The referral bonus apply on 2 year term only.

Top

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)