Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 5GB data/800 min anytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 10:33 am
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2005
1616 posts
171 upvotes
Lukus2017 wrote: Why not just go with the $10 Zoomer Home Phone then? It is cellular based with unlimited Canada wide minutes.
If power or internet went out Home Phone would not be able to be used.
With a Cell phone with Fido Data Plan (or any Data Plan) calls would still come through. ;) (edit: ...while leaving phone strictly as a home phone) Not sure if this is a good idea. :/
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15028 posts
6101 upvotes
TheHutt wrote: If power or internet went out Home Phone would not be able to be used.
With a Cell phone with Fido Data Plan (or any Data Plan) calls would still come through. ;) (edit: ...while leaving phone strictly as a home phone) Not sure if this is a good idea. :/
You could use a UPS.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15028 posts
6101 upvotes
jojothejoker wrote: Hi, how do I sign up ? Can t see how on website :/
Call them. Make sure you use a referral, that will save you $25. The entire process on the phone takes about 5 minutes.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: The koodo home phone is even cheaper at only $5/month.
Is it unlimited minutes? Where are the details? I was with Koodoo once - found them a pain in the rear end - and the call center. I prefer dealing with Zoomer.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1245 posts
523 upvotes
North York, ON
mountaintree wrote: Is it unlimited minutes? Where are the details? I was with Koodoo once - found them a pain in the rear end - and the call center. I prefer dealing with Zoomer.
a $40 onetime fee (Hub + SIM card)
Unlimited Canada-wide calling (see international rates)
Voicemail 10
Call display
Call waiting
Conference calling
Call forwarding (up to 2500 minutes)2
$30 connection fee applies when purchased in store
$0 connection fee when you order online!

Not Included:
Home Phone handset

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
Thank you @magoot ! That's not a bad deal at all. IS it reliable? Is it using VOIP? Ahh of course, the link. I will read it. Thanks again.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
Ah it's $5 for 12 months. $40 one time fee prorata'd $3.3 so about $8-9 per month.

Is the Zoomer one 12 month price or for duration? If so, I don't want to play the Koodoo game.

Koodoo terms:

Limited time offer. You'll pay $5/month for the first 12 months. On month 14, you'll begin paying the regular price, currently $20/month. Taxes and pay-per-use services (such as long distance, roaming and additional airtime or data) are extra. Plus applicable provincial or municipal government 911 fees in Nova Scotia (43¢), PEI (70¢), New Brunswick (53¢), Quebec (46¢), Alberta (44¢), Saskatchewan (62¢), and Newfoundland and Labrador (75¢). New activations on Wireless Home Phone from Koodo only. The current regular price of $20/month rate applies at month 14. For the first bill, partial charges will be pro-rated based on the regular price of the $20 rate. The $15 discount will begin to show up on the first full month of service for the next 12 months.
Call forwarding will be subject to pay-per-use charges above 2500 minutes at a rate of $0.50 per minute.
Subject to credit approval. While supplies last. Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer. Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply.
Deal Expert
Mar 14, 2009
15028 posts
6101 upvotes
mountaintree wrote: Ah it's $5 for 12 months. $40 one time fee prorata'd $3.3 so about $8-9 per month.

Is the Zoomer one 12 month price or for duration? If so, I don't want to play the Koodoo game.

Koodoo terms:

Limited time offer. You'll pay $5/month for the first 12 months. On month 14, you'll begin paying the regular price, currently $20/month. Taxes and pay-per-use services (such as long distance, roaming and additional airtime or data) are extra. Plus applicable provincial or municipal government 911 fees in Nova Scotia (43¢), PEI (70¢), New Brunswick (53¢), Quebec (46¢), Alberta (44¢), Saskatchewan (62¢), and Newfoundland and Labrador (75¢). New activations on Wireless Home Phone from Koodo only. The current regular price of $20/month rate applies at month 14. For the first bill, partial charges will be pro-rated based on the regular price of the $20 rate. The $15 discount will begin to show up on the first full month of service for the next 12 months.
Call forwarding will be subject to pay-per-use charges above 2500 minutes at a rate of $0.50 per minute.
Subject to credit approval. While supplies last. Must upgrade on a Tab to redeem this offer. Monthly Tab charge and conditions apply.

What does this mean?

For the first bill, partial charges will be pro-rated based on the regular price of the $20 rate. The $15 discount will begin to show up on the first full month of service for the next 12 months.
I'm not sure this is possible, but I believe Koodo referrals are at $50 right now so if you could get one it would make the hardware effectively free plus you would wind up with a $10 credit on top of that. I just don't know if Koodo referrals work for the home phone plan.
I am a Zoomer customer.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
magoot wrote: a $40 onetime fee (Hub + SIM card)
Unlimited Canada-wide calling (see international rates)
Voicemail 10
Call display
Call waiting
Conference calling
Call forwarding (up to 2500 minutes)2
$30 connection fee applies when purchased in store
$0 connection fee when you order online!

Not Included:
Home Phone handset

https://www.koodomobile.com/phones/wireless-home-phone
I've read all the fine print - Zoomer all the way. TELUS aka Koodoo charges $0.50 a minute for call forwarding over 2500 minutes. Zoomer has no restrictions and no temp charges.

Thanks for all the info @magoot and @SickBeast
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
SickBeast wrote: I'm not sure this is possible, but I believe Koodo referrals are at $50 right now so if you could get one it would make the hardware effectively free plus you would wind up with a $10 credit on top of that. I just don't know if Koodo referrals work for the home phone plan.
Doubt it for home phone. I'd rather a Zoomer referral if it worked. Koodo's price is to lock in customers who are too lazy to move later and the T&C is not so appealing to me (and I don't want to deal with their call centers...)
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1245 posts
523 upvotes
North York, ON
mountaintree wrote: Thank you @magoot ! That's not a bad deal at all. IS it reliable? Is it using VOIP? Ahh of course, the link. I will read it. Thanks again.
You're welcome. I've been using Fido HP for over 10? yrs and no issues. When I first got it on occasion person on other end would have an hollow echo effect. Haven't had that issue in the last 8? yrs. Considering price (all in $14) I'm happy. It's cellphone based and the ZTE base holds a sim card. Phone can be taken anywhere in Canada and used - hotel, friend's place, etc.
Reliable...except for power outages have had zero reliability issues.
Apr 4, 2018
777 posts
192 upvotes
magoot wrote: You're welcome. I've been using Fido HP for over 10? yrs and no issues. When I first got it on occasion person on other end would have an hollow echo effect. Haven't had that issue in the last 8? yrs. Considering price (all in $14) I'm happy. It's cellphone based and the ZTE base holds a sim card. Phone can be taken anywhere in Canada and used - hotel, friend's place, etc.
Reliable...except for power outages have had zero reliability issues.
Really? That is great! Do you think the Zoomer one has the same feature? ie portability. Thanks.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1245 posts
523 upvotes
North York, ON
mountaintree wrote: I've read all the fine print - Zoomer all the way. TELUS aka Koodoo charges $0.50 a minute for call forwarding over 2500 minutes. Zoomer has no restrictions and no temp charges.

Thanks for all the info @magoot and @SickBeast
The only issue I have/ had is the ZTE/ Fido base only holds 3 messages. Asked Fido to disable it and now calls go directly to answer machine in telephone. When it was on calls would randomly go to either one.
Deal Addict
Feb 8, 2015
1245 posts
523 upvotes
North York, ON
mountaintree wrote: Really? That is great! Do you think the Zoomer one has the same feature? ie portability. Thanks.
You can ask but friends that have HP from other carriers have the same option. It's the exact same ZTE base using cell towers. CANNOT use the Sim Card in a cellphone though.
Aug 6, 2011
41 posts
12 upvotes
AB
Zoomer we found to be extremely helpful at their toll free 1 888 632 1527 also answered promptly .
Just mention any specials you want to compare.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)