Ongoing Deal Discussion

[Zoomer Wireless] Zoomer 36$ plan with 5GB data/800 min anytime/unlimited txt - NO REFERRALS

• Last Updated:
  • Apr 7th, 2020 10:33 am
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3252 posts
1298 upvotes
Toronto
rolomonster wrote: Their website has the gr5 listed again? Did they got more stock in now?
Rogers still have GR5 left.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11229 posts
10250 upvotes
YYC3258 wrote: Just curious, is your GR5 running Android 6 (Marshmallow) or is it stuck in Lollipop?
Android 6
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Dec 30, 2017
37 posts
10 upvotes
Calgary AB
Thanks so much for the reply. Android Marshmallow is still good. :)
Aug 14, 2011
121 posts
35 upvotes
Richmond Hill
9613019 wrote: Great! I am going to update it.
Thanks for the heads up. Anyone know if the $72 family plan gets more than 3 gigs shared after 6 months?
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2005
11229 posts
10250 upvotes
maximum2326 wrote: Thanks for the heads up. Anyone know if the $72 family plan gets more than 3 gigs shared after 6 months?
The loyalty $72 family plan has 4GB data and 1000 day time minutes.
Have too many phones... This is how I limit my monthly phone payment.
Public Mobile $37 5GB, $13 250MB, 2x $8 50min/50text, Fido $5 4GB data only plan,
Zoomer $36 loyalty 4GB plan, $0 FPL home phone. Have a better and better day!
Aug 14, 2011
121 posts
35 upvotes
Richmond Hill
embguy wrote: The loyalty $72 family plan has 4GB data and 1000 day time minutes.
Thank you. I just saw it say 3gb on the website under promotions so I was wondering.
Deal Fanatic
May 7, 2007
9573 posts
3436 upvotes
embguy wrote: GR5 is better phone to use. Harder to sell. I am using a GR5. I like the finger print reader. 2GB RAM which is a must have nowaday. But no NFC - Therefore, forget about using Android pay or AmEx pay.
Yep ... All that :)

Not sure about selling ... never wanted to sell it ... Got it as my 1st ever Android phone (lol) ... and using it now (just over Wi-Fi .. cuz my main phone is still Windows Phone - Microsoft - Nokia Lumia 640).

Seems to be a nice phone ... Ya, finger print reader is good ... works pretty smooth.

And correct .. No NFC ... didn't even know what it was (NFC) ... until wanted to try to use once for Android / Amex pay ... and no one could figure out why couldn't use in my accounts / app.

Until found out about this NFC .. and that Huawei GR5 didn't have it ... lol

Nice phone though.

P.S.

Speaking about Huawei GR5 (mine anyhow) ... -- I was at Best Buy yesterday ... to replace the plastic screen protector cover on my Nokia Lumia 640 phone (I have life time warranty for this there).

And (without getting into details) ... have receipt for some other phone that don't have any longer ... -- but know supervisor there somewhat ... and was able to successfully transfer life time warranty from that receipt onto my Huawei GR5 phone ... (now i can have screen protecting cover put on / installed onto it forever - cool!)

So was going to get them to put the screen protector on GR5 .. but the technician dude told me that it has a screen protector ... Manufacturer's cover which is put on better than similar covers ...

I told him ... that people were saying on internet that it's not a real screen protecting cover .. but just a plastic thingy that comes with new phone..

And he told me NOPE .... it IS indeed ... with cut out part of it to have open what needs to be open.

So i didn't end up putting their screen protector ... as my current one supposedly is a better one (but now i have a peace of mind ... if it ever comes off or gets damaged they will put me another one at no charge ... so - happy about this).

But the bottom line ... Huawei GR5 phone, sounds like comes with a screen protector (or mine did anyhow) :)
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2003
1138 posts
62 upvotes
Toronto
Just signed up another $36/month account with a referral. $25 credit was applied instantly on both accounts while I was on the phone.

Got the Huawei GR5 (but the CSR said they had a limited stock, so he had to check first). Samsung J3 was also available.
Apr 23, 2003
417 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
-=Wraith=- wrote: Just signed up another $36/month account with a referral. $25 credit was applied instantly on both accounts while I was on the phone.

Got the Huawei GR5 (but the CSR said they had a limited stock, so he had to check first). Samsung J3 was also available.
The LG G4 is back too for the $36 plan. This phone is WAY better than the J3. Former flagship (G4) versus budget J3, it's a no brainer.

As for the G4 versus GR5 -- the advantage goes to G4 for most users due to specs. But for someone who wants root and ability to install custom ROMS, GR5 is better Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Apr 27, 2010
3252 posts
1298 upvotes
Toronto
DStriderX wrote: The LG G4 is back too for the $36 plan. This phone is WAY better than the J3. Former flagship (G4) versus budget J3, it's a no brainer.

As for the G4 versus GR5 -- the advantage goes to G4 for most users due to specs. But for someone who wants root and ability to install custom ROMS, GR5 is better Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes!
G4 is gone on Zoomer's website. It was back to stock for a short period yesterday.
Zoomer Wireless, Koodo Wireless, Fido Tablet Plan
Carry Tel Internet
Apr 23, 2003
417 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
9613019 wrote: G4 is gone on Zoomer's website. It was back to stock for a short period yesterday.
Oh snap! That was fast. I assume they are trying to push the older phones J3 and GR5 first since the $36 plan is now advertised on their website.
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1762 posts
897 upvotes
DStriderX wrote: The LG G4 is back too for the $36 plan. This phone is WAY better than the J3. Former flagship (G4) versus budget J3, it's a no brainer.

Is G4 unable to root?
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Nov 14, 2003
316 posts
118 upvotes
Toronto

True. GR5 is supported by Lineage 14.1 (Nougat) - I have it running fine.
Apr 23, 2003
417 posts
201 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
rolomonster wrote: Is G4 unable to root?
According to XDA, our Canadian G4 (812) cannot have its bootloader unlocked (only the international version (815) has an unlockable bootloader). This makes it difficult to achieve root and impossible to install a custom rom. Root apparently can be achieved if G4 is running Lollipop, but the process appears to be complicated and the bootloader would remain locked. It's SOL if you are on Marshmallow.

Last time I looked, no active developers working on unlocking bootloader for our 812. Everyone was focused on the 815 (international version). It's been 3-4 years since the G4's release so I am concluding it isn't going to happen.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)