Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
Zoomer

Zoomer - Home phone service $10

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 18th, 2017 9:22 pm
Deal Addict
Feb 22, 2013
1579 posts
1544 upvotes
AAAAAAA7 wrote: Instead of plugging my phone in the wireless device I plugged the wireless device into one of my phone wall sockets and now all my other phone receptacles in the house work like with a regular phone line. So all my phones still work like before (basement, living room, kitchen).

My alarm system was not compatible with this setup even though it was getting a dial tone.

I've had no issues with the service, it's great.
You're a subscriber with an alarm system? What is your setup? Or did you cancel your alarm.
Nov 25, 2010
392 posts
225 upvotes
sparkaction wrote: You're a subscriber with an alarm system? What is your setup? Or did you cancel your alarm.
Adt/protectron is the alarm company. The alarm company came and added a dedicated cell line for the alarm... No extra charge.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
This could be a red hot deal or an ice cold deal
We need someone to bite the bullet and test it out

It will be red hot IF there is no SIM lock on the ZTE device (I am skeptical as Fido/Rogers always locked down devices)
If SIM is unusable then it is ice cold

Has anyone bought this yet? For the rest of the forum, can you take SIM out of ZTE and use it in your cell phone?

BTW and for those comparing it to voip services, a cell device gives much better quality
So even if SIM locked it still beats the voips hands down
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2581 posts
2831 upvotes
kav2001c wrote: This could be a red hot deal or an ice cold deal

It will be red hot IF there is no SIM lock on the ZTE device (I am skeptical as Fido/Rogers always locked down devices)

Has anyone bought this yet? For the rest of the forum, can you take SIM out of ZTE and use it in your cell phone?

BTW and for those comparing it to voip services, a cell device gives much better quality
I disagree I think its a good deal compared to our parents paying $40/month for Bell landline (which is only local calls not Ontario wide).
This is $10/month Canada wide and offers USA long distance for $5/month extra.

I think its a great deal esp. if the device is free.
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2005
1604 posts
977 upvotes
torontokris wrote: I disagree I think its a good deal compared to our parents paying $40/month for Bell landline (which is only local calls not Ontario wide).
This is $10/month Canada wide and offers USA long distance for $5/month extra.

I think its a great deal esp. if the device is free.
Lots of others have done $10 cell home phone plans (or even $7.50 and $5 promos over at Fido and Koodo)

But my point (above) was that this is an incredible deal if SIM is unlocked because then your parents could take that SIM card out of ZTE, insert it into the cell phone of choice, and now have a voice only plan with no restrictions
Koodo $45 60GB 5G + Unlimited Long Distance Perk (28 Countries)
Public $120 180GB + Canada Wide (90 Day plan; less rewards = $20 per month)
Freedom $35 North America Wide + 20GB + 1GB Roaming
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2007
2581 posts
2831 upvotes
kav2001c wrote: Lots of others have done $10 cell home phone plans (or even $7.50 and $5 promos over at Fido and Koodo)

But my point (above) was that this is an incredible deal if SIM is unlocked because then your parents could take that SIM card out of ZTE, insert it into the cell phone of choice, and now have a voice only plan with no restrictions
I doubt they would allow that. But worth a try for someone who has a device
Deal Addict
Nov 30, 2011
2593 posts
1186 upvotes
GTA
AAAAAAA7 wrote: Instead of plugging my phone in the wireless device I plugged the wireless device into one of my phone wall sockets and now all my other phone receptacles in the house work like with a regular phone line. So all my phones still work like before (basement, living room, kitchen).

My alarm system was not compatible with this setup even though it was getting a dial tone.

I plugged my wireless device into a phone jack as well and it works great. From my understanding it is important (if you do this) to disconnect the Bell wires from your home. In my case that was easily done by cutting the two wires where they come in from the outside and connect to a block in the basement. They can easily be reattached if that ever becomes important.
Have a Question? Don't be afraid to ask.
Aug 22, 2005
231 posts
185 upvotes
Maplecountry wrote: Seems like everyone else have a positive experience and no issues with call quality and clarity. I tried trouble shooting but nothing worked. May be I should ask for another device. Thanks for the suggestion. Do you have the device placed nearby the phone ??
They are using a multi handset portable phone system so the device is next to their main base unit. That's the easiest way to check it out. If you are using it on a whole home cable run, you may experience a bit of loss. The only reason I say this is because the voltage coming out of the POTS lines is likely higher and stronger than what this device would produce, just given the technology itself, and that it is capable of running for 3 hours in a power outage I suspect it just won't be able to throw the signal as far down the line as Maw-Bell. This ofcourse all depends on age of the wiring, any extra kinks or splices in the lines and a whole bucket of other variables.
Sep 23, 2008
172 posts
216 upvotes
Hamilton ON
kav2001c wrote: It will be red hot IF there is no SIM lock on the ZTE device (I am skeptical as Fido/Rogers always locked down devices)
From the Zoomer website "Full Details" section:
ZTE Home Phone device required and is sold separately. Service intended for home use only (cannot roam with the device). SIM included with device is locked to and may only be used with the ZTE Home Phone device.
Looks like a great deal for parents/in-laws and other landline holdouts. Thanks OP
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1874 posts
1018 upvotes
Just ordered. Thanks OP. Been waiting 7+ months for this promo to come back. Signing up only took about 5 minutes total via chat, then quick phone call for verbal credit check and agreement details.

FYI they do need to do a soft credit check which is valid for 6 months. For anyone who jumped on the $36 2 gb plan within the past 6 months, you can add on this service without having to do another credit check. Also, for those who have jumped onto this promo, if the $36 2 gb comes back within 6 months you will not have to another credit check.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Sep 2, 2007
769 posts
285 upvotes
embguy wrote: Both of these services are using VOIP. Ooma uses you home Internet connection. Voice quality will depend on your Internet latency. Zoomer home phone is VOIP over the Rogers wireless network. I think Zoomer home phone will be more reliable.

If you are good in setting up your hardware, it will be cheaper to use freephoneline(FPL). I got an used ATA and use it with FPL over 4 years ago. I spent about $100 on ATA and FPL registration etc upfront. There is no monthly charge unless I call USA numbers.

We were considering to disconnect our home phone over 4 years ago. Using FPL is a cheap way to keep our home phone number. It costs me about $2/m ($100 for last 4 years) and it will continue to go down.
Zoomer home phone is VOIP over the Rogers wireless network.

VOIP is Voice Over Internet Protocol

Wireless home phone are not VOIP they are just a stationary cell phone
Jul 30, 2010
655 posts
352 upvotes
Toronto
Anyone else confirm that the new Bell phone line operates like a VOIP? We had the old copper wire before with bell and the phone never went down but now with the upgdrade to the fibe network and the new 3000 modem, the power source for the phone line is basically the modem and the phoneline has gone down multiple times whenever there's been an issue with the internet/modem.

Reason we still had the bell landline was because it never went down and in case of emergency, but now it's acting just like a VOIP and goes down if internet/modem goes down which it does atleast 2-3 times every month.
Deal Addict
Jan 23, 2015
1386 posts
1102 upvotes
Woodbridge, ON

I was going to do the same thing with my wireless device, until I checked the existing bell line that was suppose to be dead still had a dial tone. Which got me thinking in case of an emergency, 911 would still work and they would know exactly where the call would be coming from if there's no communication.
Sep 2, 2007
769 posts
285 upvotes
kav2001c wrote: This could be a red hot deal or an ice cold deal

I have a Koodo Home Phone

If I put the Koodo sim in my cell phone it requires a password (which I do not have )

So you cannot take the sim out of your ZTE device and use it in a cell phone
Deal Addict
Oct 7, 2016
1874 posts
1018 upvotes
billrush wrote: I have a Koodo Home Phone

If I put the Koodo sim in my cell phone it requires a password (which I do not have )

So you cannot take the sim out of your ZTE device and use it in a cell phone
I wonder if you called and told them you have your own device if they could send a SIM that is not device locked.
Koodo: $60/10GB
Zoomer: $45 4GB LTE Loyalty Plan
OP of the Zoomer Wireless $36 2GB LTE Promo
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
My sister has Zoomer in the GTA and sometimes there's a slight echo with the audio. She's replaced the box, and the issue persists. She just lives with it now.

She also has a Samsung S8 with Rogers, and no issues at the same location.

It's not the home phone as it's the same phone as what she had with Rogers Home Phone.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2008
4018 posts
2518 upvotes
Halifax
mobifree wrote: My sister has Zoomer in the GTA and sometimes there's a slight echo with the audio. She's replaced the box, and the issue persists. She just lives with it now.

She also has a Samsung S8 with Rogers, and no issues at the same location.

It's not the home phone as it's the same phone as what she had with Rogers Home Phone.
Her phone probably needs replacement. I am sure it worked on the old setup, but home phone setups are different enough to mess up a marginal phone. If you keep the phone base away from other electronics, that might do something also.
Nov 17, 2014
360 posts
294 upvotes
Toronto
Can someone clarify something for me. I'm not sure the technology that is involved here. I want to cancel my parent's land line and port the number to this zoomer service. Am i correct in my understanding that Zoomer will ship me a device (similar to a router) and i will plug in my phone base station into it and it will use Rogers wireless network as its communication network. So if there is a power outage it will still work because the device has a small backup battery. also, i do not need to connect anything to the "router" except power and my hard line phone?

thanks in advance.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
41802 posts
30057 upvotes
Center of Universe
TriftyTings wrote: Can someone clarify something for me. I'm not sure the technology that is involved here. I want to cancel my parent's land line and port the number to this zoomer service. Am i correct in my understanding that Zoomer will ship me a device (similar to a router) and i will plug in my phone base station into it and it will use Rogers wireless network as its communication network. So if there is a power outage it will still work because the device has a small backup battery. also, i do not need to connect anything to the "router" except power and my hard line phone?

thanks in advance.
Correct.

Edit: Do not "cancel" the landline yourself, as you will lose your number. Let Zoomer port it over!
Deal Addict
Mar 26, 2011
2609 posts
683 upvotes
Toronto, ON
bridonca wrote: Her phone probably needs replacement. I am sure it worked on the old setup, but home phone setups are different enough to mess up a marginal phone. If you keep the phone base away from other electronics, that might do something also.
Just spoke to her and she confirmed she bought a new Panasonic set from Costco, and the issue persists.
But she's not going to bother too much considering she only pays $10/mo as opposed to close to $70 before.