• Dec 29th, 2016 12:37 am
Deal Fanatic
Dec 28, 2006
7470 posts
1459 upvotes
Ottawa

ZTE Axon vs Xiaomi Mi Max vs Mi 5 vs lenovo zuk Z2

Hi,

I just lost my beloved Nexus 6p a few days ago in a parking lot. So I have to look for a replacement. I would like to get an iphone or pixel but kind of worried about losing them again.
I am very interested in these Chinese alternatives, since they are kind of inexpensive and only thing seems to be weak is the camera (and sometimes software), but I may need to accept the tradeoff.

I have checked RFD's thread on these phones, I would like to see what is your opinion on which phone to get,
The ZTE Axon, I have boughted at Canada computers at $180 +tax, good thing is I can use it right away. I have kept it sealed in case I changed mind. The problem I am worried is the 2G ram and software update availability (it is an older phone)
The other choices are the Xiaomi Mi Max or Mi5 (both on sale at Aliexpress) or Lenovo zuk Z2. They have very good specs but may take a while to be shipped from China.

The other possibility is to get LG G4 from Koodo, but I am worried about the problem it has before and I really don't like the hassle of going through activate and cancel process. I have also considered a used Nexus 5x, but so far have not found any good ones
6 replies
Jul 8, 2014
278 posts
158 upvotes
Richmond Hill, ON
Theres also the Axon 7, maybe costs a little more but might be worth it. Newegg currently has $25 off using masterpass for it (ends tomorrow).
Deal Expert
Nov 28, 2013
21317 posts
10909 upvotes
Oakville
Personally? Out of all those phones, I'd probably go with the G4. Yeah, they had the bootloop issue but they THINK they've fixed it in newer models, and even if they didn't, they're fixing them even out of warranty. Next I'd go with the ZTE Axon, just because of its frequency support. The other phones have limited Canadian LTE frequency support, and for me that's more important than updates. In general, unless you're on a Google phone, there's no guarantee you're getting regular updates any way (or that the updates will actually make any improvement to your phone). The Axon got an upgrade to Marshmallow, at least.
Deal Addict
Nov 28, 2010
1374 posts
345 upvotes
Brampton
pelikan wrote: You can consider ZTE Axon 7, it has better specs than your previous Nexus 6P (better processor, RAM, Micro-sd card support, etc).

Axon 7 is on sale now at Newegg for $469.99. And there's the $25 MasterPass promo

http://www.newegg.ca/Product/Product.as ... -_-Product
Can't seem to see the MasterPass promo discount despite checking out using it. Is it already over?

I'm also in the hunt for a possible upgrade to my aging, slow charging Oneplus One and was considering either the Axon 7 or the Xiaomi Mi5 Pro

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-M ... 66616.html
Jan 11, 2014
212 posts
47 upvotes
endokuken wrote: Can't seem to see the MasterPass promo discount despite checking out using it. Is it already over?

I'm also in the hunt for a possible upgrade to my aging, slow charging Oneplus One and was considering either the Axon 7 or the Xiaomi Mi5 Pro

http://www.geekbuying.com/item/Xiaomi-M ... 66616.html
The MasterPass promo is on their main page banner. The code is MPBOX25. During checkout, click the MasterPass button.

Deal Expert
Dec 12, 2009
29462 posts
20372 upvotes
The Chinese phone options will limit LTE coverage as they invariably lack band 4 LTE. This is the most popular band in Canada for LTE.