Hot Deals

[zwilling.ca] ZWILLING Pro Chef’s Knife 7″ - $69.99 ($200.00)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 5:54 pm
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2165 posts
1268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
tourmaline wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 8:35 pm
how is it compared to the Global knife that is on sale a few weeks ago?
X24Secret wrote:
Dec 2nd, 2017 11:43 pm
Global is stamped, this is forged. The theory generally is that forged knives hold their edge better than stamped.

Generally stamped knives are cheaper because they are made in less steps.
That theory is misinformation supported by knife sellers who want to be able to sell forged knives at a higher price. A blade's ability to hold an edge depends on its steel, and steel's ability to hold an edge depends on its composition and how it's heat treated, not by whether it's stamped or forged. And as for steel composition, Global uses CROMOVA 18 steel and Zwilling uses X50CrMoV15, which have very similar characteristics, and I can't say one is any better than the other. As for heat treating, the point is to make the steel hard enough to take and hold an edge without making it brittle enough to break in normal use. The measurement of steel hardness is the Rockwell scales. Global hardens their blades to 58 HRC (Hardness, Rockwell scale C). Zwilling hardens their steel to different extents for different models, but the Pro is also 58 HRC. So the only real differences between the Global and Zwilling Pro is the geometry (overall shape, most importantly the blade profile and handle shape). Handle shape is almost irrelevant if you hold the knife in the pinch grip (which I highly recommend for comfort, control, and avoiding fatigue). So then the biggest difference that will matter in use is the weight of the knife, and generally, forged knives weigh a bit more than stamped, which makes a positive impression when you first get into using serious chef's knives, and then becomes a negative if you go on to use the knife a lot. For the home chef who only clooks a few times a week, that doesn't matter nearly as much - just use whatever you enjoy using.

EDIT: Possible correction: I took the 58 HRC of the Zwilling Pro from here:
http://www.metrokitchen.com/zwilling-ja ... ison-guide
But then found other sites saying it's 57 HRC. If that's true then the Global is slightly harder, so theoretically would hold an edge slightly better. However the difference will be irrelevant if you give it a quick hone with a sharpening steel before each use, which is highly recommended because it greatly extends the time between sharpenings. (Not getting into honing vs. sharpening except to say that a sharpening steel is a hone with a textured edge that does remove a small amount of steel as it hones.)

Another edit since people still seem to be reading this: Zwilling's own website states that the Pro is HRC 57, so I'd go with that. Not a big factor when comparing to the Global. The biggest factor would be the blade profile: the Swilling has a lot of "belly" - lots of curve, very little flat spot. (And this is only made more severe by the shortness of the 7" blade.) The Global has a lower tip, less curve, and a longer flat section at the back, which makes it better for tap-chopping or push-cutting (where you move the knife straight up and down, no rocking, no slicing action - the fastest way to chop celery etc.) because it has a longer section of contact with the cutting board, so more food gets cut completely through in each chop. Both shapes are good for rock chopping and slicing.
Last edited by OakAged on Dec 3rd, 2017 5:38 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Jun 24, 2017
15 posts
13 upvotes
I would rather get the Miracle Blade knife set for that price. The reviews are fantastic and they stay sharp forever. Plus the TV infomercial music is the best! I don't think there's any advantage of this over the Miracle blade chef knife.
Deal Addict
Nov 12, 2011
2441 posts
565 upvotes
Markham
Nice try dude
Not buying something on sale ISN'T a crime, buying something not on sale IS.
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2165 posts
1268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
Dudeydudee wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 6:24 pm
I would rather get the Miracle Blade knife set for that price. The reviews are fantastic and they stay sharp forever. Plus the TV infomercial music is the best! I don't think there's any advantage of this over the Miracle blade chef knife.
LOL! ...You are joking, right? You do understand that the only way a knife can stay sharp forever is if you never use it, right?
Mar 31, 2009
982 posts
381 upvotes
earthpetal wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 5:38 pm
Thanks
Definitely a good deal
10% coupon also available for $100+ order
How to get the 10% off at kitchensmart?
[OP]
Sep 10, 2008
354 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
Here are some pics compared to some popular chef's knives including the Global G2.
Images
  • global-classic-chefs-knife-c.jpg
  • shun-classic-hollow-ground-santoku-knife-c.jpg
Jun 3, 2007
323 posts
150 upvotes
Toronto
Thanks for the deal OP but I'm going to take a pass. The bolster (part where the blade meets the handle) looks hella uncomfortable for the pinch grip. Looks like blister city... Not sure why they didn't just go w/ a straight bolster. Unfortunately, don't like the Global either - v. slippery and oddly balanced for me. Should have just picked up the santoku fibrox...
Sep 14, 2015
991 posts
412 upvotes
Mont-Royal, QC
unknownone wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 6:21 pm
How to get the 10% off at kitchensmart?
Use coupon code SAVE10, it shows in the link as well
May 17, 2007
205 posts
17 upvotes
Toronto
bball2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:01 pm
I don't know how the chef's knives compare, but I've been disappointed with anything by zwilling in the past.

If you're looking for a good's chef knife, here's two I would recommend that are cheaper and have great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibro ... hefs+knife

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Pro-Cook ... usthof+pro

FYI those are not forged - in case someone wants to compare apple to apple.
Deal Addict
Feb 15, 2012
1165 posts
686 upvotes
Toronto
good knife, but this deal has been ongoing since august or september on every website and every store. People on here already knows zwilling has three big sales every year (semi annual warehouse sale and 50% online sale). so they arent in a rush to go out and buy this knife especially if it doesn't fit their needs.
in my opinion, 10 dollar per inch length from the pro series is a reasonable price, excluding those specialty knives like nakiri and cleavers

OakAged wrote:
Dec 3rd, 2017 5:38 pm
EDIT: Possible correction: I took the 58 HRC of the Zwilling Pro from here:
http://www.metrokitchen.com/zwilling-ja ... ison-guide
But then found other sites saying it's 57 HRC. If that's true then the Global is slightly harder, so theoretically would hold an edge slightly better. However the difference will be irrelevant if you give it a quick hone with a sharpening steel before each use, which is highly recommended because it greatly extends the time between sharpenings. (Not getting into honing vs. sharpening except to say that a sharpening steel is a hone with a textured edge that does remove a small amount of steel as it hones.)
57 HRC is the official hardness, as stated on the zwilling website: https://www.zwilling.ca/product/pro-che ... -7-180-mm/
ZWILLING Special Formula, high carbon NO STAIN steel provides the durability needed for tough kitchen tasks
SIGMAFORGE® knife, forged from one single piece of steel
FRIODUR® blade, ice-hardened to ~57 Rockwell Hardness
Edge angle 15° on each side
Traditional three rivet handle with visible full tang
Dishwasher safe (hand-washing recommended)

it was also the reason why I went with Wusthof's Classic (HRC 58) over Zwilling Pro
Aug 29, 2012
131 posts
44 upvotes
SURREY
bball2 wrote:
Dec 5th, 2017 6:01 pm
I don't know how the chef's knives compare, but I've been disappointed with anything by zwilling in the past.

If you're looking for a good's chef knife, here's two I would recommend that are cheaper and have great reviews:

https://www.amazon.com/Victorinox-Fibro ... hefs+knife

https://www.amazon.com/Wusthof-Pro-Cook ... usthof+pro
I've bought the victorinox and wustof pro. I didn't like the wustof for the same reasons as why i didn't make the move on this zwilling. The belly is just too big for what I'm used too that i decided to gift it to a friend of mine with shitty knives. I kept my victorinox as my work horse that i basically abuse for really hard stuff like bones and seafood. I've had my victorinox for over a year and i still haven't sharpened it yet. I just hone it every time i use it and it hasn't really let me down yet.
Nov 8, 2007
378 posts
58 upvotes
Had a Pro set and this knife is the worst one for the reasons everyone mentioned.
Good for hacking I suppose, but still doesn't replace a cleaver.
My mom chooses her lesser, same size Zwilling chef knife every time for its thinner profile.