Hot Deals

[zwilling.ca] ZWILLING Pro Chef’s Knife 7″ - $69.99 ($200.00)

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 8th, 2017 5:54 pm
Nov 19, 2009
397 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
Yzord wrote:
Dec 4th, 2017 8:10 pm
Thanks for the deal OP but I'm going to take a pass. The bolster (part where the blade meets the handle) looks hella uncomfortable for the pinch grip. Looks like blister city... Not sure why they didn't just go w/ a straight bolster
I actually just got this knife (from cutleryandmore.com) and have similar feelings. I'm sure I'll get used to it, but I much prefer something like the bolster on my Wusthof classics (on that subject, I picked up a 5" Wusthof nakiri knife for $50usd at the same time)
[OP]
Sep 10, 2008
354 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
The knife was designed with curved bolster edges so it actually fits the fingers when using pinched grip.

I agree with the reviewer when he held the knife. Check out the vid here.
Last edited by trilobites on Dec 7th, 2017 12:35 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Nov 18, 2008
367 posts
51 upvotes
Toronto
I bought a set of knives couple years ago for couple hundred bucks from Amway.. I'm not sure what's the difference between good/cheap/bad knives other than sharpness, what's like it to use a good knife? Or do you have to be into cooking to appreciate these?
[OP]
Sep 10, 2008
354 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
Yeah these for preping food, when you use it often you'll appreciate a sharp knife makes a difference. BTW, I also have several pocket knives for edc, not much use but hey it's there when I need it :)
Deal Addict
Dec 1, 2003
3898 posts
140 upvotes
Toronto
I have this knife & also bought the global from costco 2 weeks ago. The global is wayyyy better IMO. Much much lighter so your wrist doesn't get tired after chopping for a while. The blade is thinner so there's less resistance when splitting harder vegetables.

The sharpness of the global when new is on a whole different level. I've read that japanese knives are usually sharpened to 15deg whereas german knives are 20-25deg, the Zwilling was never as sharp as the global even when new.

I regret buying the zwilling and using it for so many years, could've saved my wrists from a lot of wear.
Sep 16, 2016
10 posts
1 upvote
At first, I am sorry for asking on wrong thread but I am not sure where to ask.
I got Zwilling kramer euroline essential knife last time and now I am researching honing steel.
I just wonder if I can use any common honing steel from any brands?
I think I should consider the hardness of knife??
The blade is made of professional FC61 special steel, hardened to approx. 61 Rockwell.
please recommend any cheap and decent honing steel for my knife.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2008
354 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
hahahahaha wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 7:02 pm
At first, I am sorry for asking on wrong thread but I am not sure where to ask.
I got Zwilling kramer euroline essential knife last time and now I am researching honing steel.
I just wonder if I can use any common honing steel from any brands?
I think I should consider the hardness of knife??
The blade is made of professional FC61 special steel, hardened to approx. 61 Rockwell.
please recommend any cheap and decent honing steel for my knife.
That's a fine knife, and definitely on my list. I believe this one should be a perfect match for that knife but this is from a US site.

http://www.cutleryandmore.com/henckels- ... el-p124804
Oct 28, 2004
277 posts
269 upvotes
Toronto
http://m.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... --24?pdp=1
Same knife will be $69.99 at The Bay starting Dec 8th. Not sure if you can get the extra 15% off weekend discount for HBC credit on top or the senior 15% on Tuesday.
We are the Canadian Borg. Resistance would be impolite. Please wait to be assimilated. Pour l'assimilation en francais, veuillez appuyer sur le deux.
[OP]
Sep 10, 2008
354 posts
64 upvotes
Vancouver
I actually just ordered mine from the cutleryandmore(US site) like one fellow rfd'er suggested earlier in this thread.

This knife - Pro 7-in. Chef's Knife was $40 USD
I also ordered the Four Star 7-in. Chef's Knife - $40 USD
and the Four Star 8-pc. Knife Block Set - $120 USD

These prices were after the 20% discount. Free shipping to US and will just pick it up there. It's a better deal but not for everyone. I guess I should update the first post.
Oct 29, 2004
891 posts
33 upvotes
acidferret wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 10:54 pm
http://m.thebay.com/webapp/wcs/stores/s ... --24?pdp=1
Same knife will be $69.99 at The Bay starting Dec 8th. Not sure if you can get the extra 15% off weekend discount for HBC credit on top or the senior 15% on Tuesday.
15% with hbc card and 10% without. Plus 5% more using ebates
I bought the global from Costco so not sure about keeping this one. I also already have the pro s 8inch hollow edged.
Nov 19, 2009
397 posts
82 upvotes
Windsor
HKPolice wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:15 pm
The sharpness of the global when new is on a whole different level. I've read that japanese knives are usually sharpened to 15deg whereas german knives are 20-25deg, the Zwilling was never as sharp as the global even when new.
This knife is 15 deg. I too thought they were 20 deg. Maybe they changed it at some point over the years?
Deal Addict
Jan 22, 2014
2165 posts
1268 upvotes
Toronto, ON
HKPolice wrote:
Dec 7th, 2017 1:15 pm
I have this knife & also bought the global from costco 2 weeks ago. The global is wayyyy better IMO. Much much lighter so your wrist doesn't get tired after chopping for a while. The blade is thinner so there's less resistance when splitting harder vegetables.

I regret buying the zwilling and using it for so many years, could've saved my wrists from a lot of wear.
ram77 wrote:
Dec 8th, 2017 8:03 am
This knife is 15 deg. I too thought they were 20 deg. Maybe they changed it at some point over the years?
Most European-style knives have an edge angle of 15 degrees on each side, so the edge itself is 30 degrees. Zwilling states "12 to 15".
Most Japanese-style knives are 10 degrees per side, so 20 degrees at the edge. Global states "10 to 15 degrees". So they're probably actually very similiar. In any case you can change the angle on any knife if you like. The narrower you make it, the more easily it will slice through food, but the harder the steel needs to be in order to hold it for any length of time (the narrower the edge, the faster the dulling. And the more susceptible to deforming (or chipping if it's really hard steel)).
Zwilling: https://www.zwilling.com/us/en/use-and- ... ening.html
Global: http://globalknives.uk/knife-care/