Expired Hot Deals

[Zwilling J.A. Henckels] Staub Cast Iron 1.85Qt wok 119.99$ down from 275$.

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 15th, 2019 2:00 pm
Tags:
None
[OP]
Feb 19, 2019
9 posts
16 upvotes

[Zwilling J.A. Henckels] Staub Cast Iron 1.85Qt wok 119.99$ down from 275$.

This is a small wok. I bought the 30cm one a few months back and love it.

Seems like a good deal but I'm no expert.
9 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20833 posts
6870 upvotes
For the record I think a wok on any consumer range (including gas) is stupid.
It's less stupid on gas, but still stupid.

Use something flat like a regular pan. This way you get the most contact possible with the heat.
A wok shape only works because the fire underneath is usually 100-200k BTU. Your home stove uses literally 10% of that.
Jul 17, 2010
175 posts
144 upvotes
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 12:27 pm

Use something flat like a regular pan. This way you get the most contact possible with the heat.
A wok shape only works because the fire underneath is usually 100-200k BTU. Your home stove uses literally 10% of that.
True. You can get 60k BTU outdoor burner for it though. Works great when you don't want to invest into a high pressure system.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1050 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:

A wok with enough mass and a flat base can work well on any electric and gas ranges as long as you first heat it up covered until it is smoking. You can then add oil and fry a small amount of food at a time.
You can also deep fry small amounts with a wok.

I do prefer the standard cast iron pan if I need it to fry a significant amount of food at a time (ie. 2 big steaks).

I think as long as you don't fry too much at one time, you'll be OK and it's reflective of the stove you use.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20833 posts
6870 upvotes
shamans wrote:
Mar 14th, 2019 10:22 pm
A wok with enough mass and a flat base can work well on any electric and gas ranges as long as you first heat it up covered until it is smoking. You can then add oil and fry a small amount of food at a time.
I think that's called a frying pan.
You can also deep fry small amounts with a wok.
2qt? That's barely shallow frying.
I do prefer the standard cast iron pan if I need it to fry a significant amount of food at a time (ie. 2 big steaks).
TBH that would be preferable to this.
I think as long as you don't fry too much at one time, you'll be OK and it's reflective of the stove you use.
My point is, because a pan is flat, it can heat much more evenly.
Consumer stoves are hugely under powered in comparison, so the cold spots are really actually cold.
A flat pan makes much more sense.
Oct 5, 2015
11 posts
7 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
death_hawk wrote:
I'm no expert, but I manage to use a wok fine in my home kitchen. Me and literally millions of other people in China and elsewhere. So much stupidity. Thanks for setting us straight.
Deal Addict
Nov 11, 2008
1050 posts
425 upvotes
Toronto
death_hawk wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 2:36 am
I think that's called a frying pan.
No...they actually make woks that have a flat base, not a concave base. Search for "flat bottom wok". I think vast majority of modern consumer woks are flat at the bottom.

The wok I have is probably 4 to 5 qt and the bottom is flat with a diameter of about 8 inches.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
20833 posts
6870 upvotes
shamans wrote:
Mar 15th, 2019 4:34 am
No...they actually make woks that have a flat base, not a concave base.
That's pretty much this.
I still stand by my previous point. The contact surface is still tiny.
Concave would be worse, but flat bottoms still aren't that great.