1 or 2 car built in garage value to home: detached

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 25th, 2019 3:11 pm
[OP]
Sep 16, 2017
346 posts
235 upvotes

1 or 2 car built in garage value to home: detached

I saw there was a previous thread dedicated to this however it was from awhile back.
In terms of demand for 1 vs 2 door BUILT IN garage for a detached home - which would be better resale value?
my observations are the following;

1 door:
more livable space inside the house i.e front rooms, dining room layouts.

2 door:
less livable space, but 2nd garage gives room for 2x during the winter (in canada likely needed)

what is the verdict? 2 car garages are also bigger lots which translate to higher price as well.
Last edited by MasterBD on Oct 24th, 2019 11:51 am, edited 1 time in total.
14 replies
Nov 10, 2017
765 posts
531 upvotes
Depending on location. Houses in nice area in city of Toronto without garage worth more than the double garages one in Aurora.
Deal Addict
Jan 29, 2010
1178 posts
1114 upvotes
Toronto
In non-downtown Toronto areas, 2 car garages homes are almost always larger than 1 car garages ones living space-wide speaking. That’s because when you build 2 car garage houses, you’re assuming more occupants in the house (usually due to the larger sq ft).

I would put 1 car garage to anything less than 2000 sq ft and 2 car on 2000-3000 sq ft.
Deal Fanatic
Feb 2, 2014
8866 posts
2540 upvotes
Toronto
MasterBD wrote: I saw there was a previous thread dedicated to this however it was from awhile back.
In terms of demand for 1 vs 2 door garage for a detached home - which would be better resale value?
my observations are the following;

1 door:
more livable space inside the house i.e front rooms, dining room layouts.

2 door:
less livable space, but 2nd garage gives room for 2x during the winter (in canada likely needed)

what is the verdict? 2 car garages are also bigger lots which translate to higher price as well.
Your assumptions aren't correct. These assumptions only apply if the garage is "built-in". If it's a detached or attached garage, it will doesn't really effect interior space.
Kevin Somnauth, CFA
Principal Broker - First Toronto Mortgage - MA (Ontario #13176, BC #X301007)
Real Estate Salesperson - Century 21 Innovative
[OP]
Sep 16, 2017
346 posts
235 upvotes
CdnRealEstateGuy wrote: Your assumptions aren't correct. These assumptions only apply if the garage is "built-in". If it's a detached or attached garage, it will doesn't really effect interior space.
sorry i should have included this in the initial post to be more clear. this is regarding built-in garages and this would be GTA & brampton real estate. based on the garages being built in, what would your input be?
Sep 19, 2019
78 posts
49 upvotes
Assuming everything else is equal with the property. Double car garage will be worth more..hard to put a dollar value on it but makes a big difference in price imo.
Deal Addict
Feb 19, 2019
1148 posts
1577 upvotes
Stouffville ON
Rarely the bigger two car garage will reduce the living area of the house, in most cases the 2 car garage houses will be bigger, lots slightly larger, and will demand premium (apple to apple comparison, let's not compare houses built 50 years apart).
Full Time and Full Service Realtor
Deal Fanatic
Dec 27, 2009
7292 posts
4533 upvotes
Victoria, BC
2 car garage all the way.
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
5279 posts
3762 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
I need my 2 car garage as I have too many cars. Plus, a 2 car garage commands a big premium over 1 car garage. Depending on the area, could be a difference of $100-200k+.
Banned
May 31, 2005
298 posts
731 upvotes
Really depends on layout. Compare my house to my neighbours for example. I have a double car garage but only 960 sq ft on the main floor. Next door has a single car but 1,100 sq ft on main. I need the space for parking multiple automobiles but I could see how a household with only one vehicle might prefer the other layout.
[OP]
Sep 16, 2017
346 posts
235 upvotes
dimsumboi wrote: Really depends on layout. Compare my house to my neighbours for example. I have a double car garage but only 960 sq ft on the main floor. Next door has a single car but 1,100 sq ft on main. I need the space for parking multiple automobiles but I could see how a household with only one vehicle might prefer the other layout.
this is what i was getting at. i see some new layouts that are for sale that are exactly this. whereas would that extra living space be more beneficial for people or the 2nd garage.
Jun 28, 2018
267 posts
305 upvotes
Aurora, Ontario
No one in Canada uses their garage to store cars unless they run out of space on their driveway.

....but seriously, 2 car garage is generally better for curb appeal/resale value.....let's be realistic though, you will probably leave your car on the driveway cause you're lazy.
Banned
May 31, 2005
298 posts
731 upvotes
DarekP84312 wrote: No one in Canada uses their garage to store cars unless they run out of space on their driveway.

....but seriously, 2 car garage is generally better for curb appeal/resale value.....let's be realistic though, you will probably leave your car on the driveway cause you're lazy.
I park my car in the garage all the time especially in Winter. I'm even more lazy to brush and clear snow off my car in the morning, plus I don't want to sit in an icebox at 7am... although it might work as a tactic to jolt me awake faster Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Deal Expert
Apr 21, 2004
54640 posts
19440 upvotes
dimsumboi wrote: I park my car in the garage all the time especially in Winter. I'm even more lazy to brush and clear snow off my car in the morning, plus I don't want to sit in an icebox at 7am... although it might work as a tactic to jolt me awake faster Grinning Face With Smiling Eyes
Me too but the third car, my daily driver, has to be on the driveway, as the theft deterrent.
Mar 20, 2011
307 posts
213 upvotes
Langley, BC
Really isn't concrete on this one. I sold my townhome recently which originally had a two car garage but converted to single. About 50% of the people liked the extra living space, and 50% wanted the garage back. This was despite the fact there was street parking available at the front.

We ended up getting close to asking price, though I do feel an extra garage space would have maybe got us a little bit more money, we're only talking like $5000 at most.

I think you just have to go with what you want.