[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1938 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto, ON

1 in 3 Remote Workers May Quit if Required to Return to the Office Full Time

https://www.newswire.ca/news-releases/1 ... 59105.html

This is probably the only good thing that COVID brought is the acceleration towards the phasing out of the old school 9 to 5 mentality where face time is prized above everything else. Employers are in for a rude awakening if they think they can just go back to the normal ways.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
141 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35705 posts
21800 upvotes
Center of Universe
There will be hundreds willing to take their place...
Deal Fanatic
Sep 23, 2009
5086 posts
2270 upvotes
Employees surveyed say one of the Issues of working remotely include: "Fewer career advancement opportunities due to a lack of visibility"

What do you think about that?

Remote work is better for those not looking for a career?
Nov 9, 2005
969 posts
346 upvotes
Most employees will have no choice but to go back to the office or be replaced quickly. Kinda sucks, as I enjoy working from home myself.

We get around 800 resumes for IT positions when posted, lot of people hunting and unemployed. This was NOT a remote position.

Unless they have a very niche in demand field and can jump ship quickly - they will be going back to the office.
Last edited by Cybersid on Apr 7th, 2021 9:04 am, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Addict
Dec 6, 2017
1124 posts
631 upvotes
Manitoba
Hordes will be jumping to apply so 9 to 5 is here to stay.
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2010
2284 posts
1763 upvotes
LOL such entitled people. Probably the same people who moved out to Timbuktu during the pandemic because "OMG WFH WILL BE FOREVER RAWRRRR"

Many more people will be there waiting to replace you.
Deal Expert
May 30, 2005
45827 posts
6325 upvotes
Richmond Hill
vkizzle wrote: There will be hundreds willing to take their place...
While I agree with this in principle, at the same time, I've seen more senior positions in my industry (tech) remain open for months at a time and reposted every few weeks on LinkedIn, so while it is most likely true for more junior positions, I'm curious to know whether that is true for more senior, 150K+ positions.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5899 posts
2756 upvotes
Toronto
Jon Lai wrote: While I agree with this in principle, at the same time, I've seen more senior positions in my industry (tech) remain open for months at a time and reposted every few weeks on LinkedIn, so while it is most likely true for more junior positions, I'm curious to know whether that is true for more senior, 150K+ positions.
I think there comes a point (in a person's career) when companies stop hiring "a person to fill this role" and start hiring "this person". I agree at junior levels, companies are more likely to move on to the next warm body if someone doesn't want to follow the office plan that the employer wants to be standard. I know in my field, my employer has had difficulty finding good people, and on the flipside recruiters who have reached out to me have been very forthcoming that the successful candidate can choose where they want to work (home or a choice of multiple office locations or a mixture) forever.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35705 posts
21800 upvotes
Center of Universe
Jon Lai wrote: While I agree with this in principle, at the same time, I've seen more senior positions in my industry (tech) remain open for months at a time and reposted every few weeks on LinkedIn, so while it is most likely true for more junior positions, I'm curious to know whether that is true for more senior, 150K+ positions.
There will be exceptions, but everyone is replaceable.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1938 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto, ON
The days of 9 to 5, five days a week in the office is over unless the company wants to settle for average/mediocre employees. Top talents know their worth and many have WFH for over a year or even longer and they expect this to be the norm. Many progressive companies are moving forward with this because that is a key for retention. I personally knew many people who found better paying and more flexible jobs WFH from home w/o even leaving the home for interview. They will not consider the job unless it has WFH/Flex component. Cutting the commute saves over 200+ hours of your life, no amount of money can buy that back.
Mining & Workstation EPYC 7702 64 Core & Dual 3950x Rigs | ASUS STRIX RTX 3090 OC | 3X NEC PA301W | 64GB DDR4 ECC |5 TB Samsung NVMe Storage
Jul 21, 2013
286 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
renoldman wrote: Employees surveyed say one of the Issues of working remotely include: "Fewer career advancement opportunities due to a lack of visibility"

Agreed, I noticed it with my career and colleagues.

I think it's the single biggest issue with remote work and enough of a reason to never go 100% remote and always maintain a degree of in person.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1938 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto, ON
lestat83 wrote: Agreed, I noticed it with my career and colleagues.

I think it's the single biggest issue with remote work and enough of a reason to never go 100% remote and always maintain a degree of in person.
Nobody is advocating 100% remote, its not practical or feasible and certain things can never be replaced virtually. The future trend is hybrid/flex model and getting rid of the 5 days a week in office policy. That is totally out of date solely to satisfy the low ego, control maniac micromanagers (predominantly the boomers)
Deal Guru
Mar 9, 2007
14077 posts
9271 upvotes
Think of the Childre…
Cause 1 in 3 moved far far away from Work.

WOULD SOMEBODY THINK OF THE CHILDREN!!!
[OP]
Deal Addict
Sep 23, 2014
1938 posts
607 upvotes
Toronto, ON
vkizzle wrote: There will be exceptions, but everyone is replaceable.
Cheapo-Findo wrote: Cause 1 in 3 moved far far away from Work.
Sure, they can also unload their properties and probably not worry about work again.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2011
35705 posts
21800 upvotes
Center of Universe
No severance or pre-negotiated payouts...employers are going to laugh all the way to the bank.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
1786 posts
1529 upvotes
Ottawa
renoldman wrote: Employees surveyed say one of the Issues of working remotely include: "Fewer career advancement opportunities due to a lack of visibility"

I was given a temporary 4-month acting management opportunity 6 months into the pandemic. It was high profile, right to the top of the organization. I did so well that they're trying to find a permanent management opportunity for me.

So this doesn't track for me, thankfully.

I may look for another opportunity that allows remote work if I get forced back into the office, even though I only live ~10km from work. But given that I'm with the federal public service, my search would likely be internal to the feds.
Sep 28, 2013
713 posts
444 upvotes
I mean, if you got hired before 2020 and knew the job wasn't WFH, not sure your expectations should evolve that it now becomes WFH only. It's different if you got hired during the pandemic into a tech job that was remote and now they're springing a surprise on you that it'll be 5x a week at the office but I wager that this is the minority of people threatening to quit.
Penalty Box
Dec 16, 2015
2805 posts
2473 upvotes
Toronto
A robot will take their jobsRocket
To the moon
Dec 21, 2009
183 posts
117 upvotes
Oakville
Manatus wrote: I think there comes a point (in a person's career) when companies stop hiring "a person to fill this role" and start hiring "this person". I agree at junior levels, companies are more likely to move on to the next warm body if someone doesn't want to follow the office plan that the employer wants to be standard. I know in my field, my employer has had difficulty finding good people, and on the flipside recruiters who have reached out to me have been very forthcoming that the successful candidate can choose where they want to work (home or a choice of multiple office locations or a mixture) forever.
Ya I found it to be a bit mixed recently.

I interviewed for some positions saying theyll.be going into office, and then a bunch that are either 100% wfh with some times to go into office on key occaisons.

Alot of the start ups fully remote now too, even big orgs.

I think this just depends on the field and company, but I got 3 offers recently all pretty much majority remote, it can be a candidates market at a certain level.
Sep 7, 2009
707 posts
317 upvotes
Redsanta wrote: A robot will take their jobsRocket
As long as we are allowed to own robots so I can sit at home while I collect their pay checks, that’s fine with me.