Sorry, this offer has expired. Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this. Add a Deal Alert

Expired Hot Deals

Sorry, this offer has expired.
Set up a deal alert and get notified of future deals like this.
Set up a Deal Alert
CIBC

1.99% for life MBNA MC or MBNA 0% interest Mastercard for 15 months or CITI 0%

• Last Updated:
  • Mar 2nd, 2012 4:00 pm
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
Finally got my 2nd 0% CITI card with $17,600 limit :razz: :cheesygri I canceled my orig. card 5 months ago, so looks like it works. You just have to wait at least 3 months & can re-apply again!
Deal Expert
Aug 18, 2005
21223 posts
5939 upvotes
Burlington-Hamilton
Jucius Maximus wrote: I phoned up Citi MasterCard today and they confirm that I was approved as of Jan 21.

And yes, I used the T7A code on Jan 08, even though it claims you should have to send in the application before Dec 31.

The guy on the phone was unable to confirm the credit limit or interest rate.

I should be receiving the physical card soon.
Got my card today. I requested a $10K limit but I only got $8600.

The CSR said that the 0% rate was valid for 12 months from the date the balance transfer takes place.

He confirmed that the charge for balance transfers on my account is 0%, even though some other offers and accounts have rates of 1.5% or 1.0%.
- casual gastronomist -
Deal Expert
Aug 26, 2001
18145 posts
1741 upvotes
Mississauga, ON
Question: any special procedure that needs to be followed to cancel the Citi MC, or should I just call up the general CSR line after work and do it over the phone?
Deal Addict
Jun 8, 2003
1529 posts
294 upvotes
i know the citi one doesn't have any additional fees, does the MBNA 0% bank transfer deal have any transaction fees? or any fees to transfer the money from the credit card to my bank account?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
Ryu69 wrote: i know the citi one doesn't have any additional fees, does the MBNA 0% bank transfer deal have any transaction fees? or any fees to transfer the money from the credit card to my bank account?
yes, 1%
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
konfusion666 wrote: Question: any special procedure that needs to be followed to cancel the Citi MC, or should I just call up the general CSR line after work and do it over the phone?
Yes, just call them & cancel. Wait 4 months or more & re-apply :D
Oct 11, 2007
1 posts
I just got off the phone trying to apply for the citi gold gard and they said the rate was 0.9%. I got it in the mail but have misplaced it so I tried calling. Any ideas for me to get it?
Deal Expert
Dec 1, 2003
21468 posts
4884 upvotes
YUL
cerebus666 wrote: I just got off the phone trying to apply for the citi gold gard and they said the rate was 0.9%. I got it in the mail but have misplaced it so I tried calling. Any ideas for me to get it?
read the first post in this thread ;)
Deal Addict
Aug 7, 2003
3006 posts
208 upvotes
My bro is a med student and has a large 80k LOC (in addition to his govt student loans). My parents each applied for the citi and received over 45k together, and are thinking about getting the mbna as well. Can they just cut the balance transfer cheques to my bro and then he can pay off a huge chuck of his LOC? Trust issues arent a concern or apart of the question here, nor is the credit hit they may face, but just wondering when it says balance transfer does it have to be to an account in your name? Or can they basically make large lump sum cheque to my bro? I think he could save 4-5k if they obtained similar amounts from mbna.

Thanks for any help.
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
fl4wless wrote: but just wondering when it says balance transfer does it have to be to an account in your name? Or can they basically make large lump sum cheque to my bro?
Don't know the answer, but surely it doesn't make a difference. Just get them to transfer into their own account and cut your bro a cheque from that.
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1108 posts
82 upvotes
fl4wless wrote: My bro is a med student and has a large 80k LOC (in addition to his govt student loans). My parents each applied for the citi and received over 45k together, and are thinking about getting the mbna as well. Can they just cut the balance transfer cheques to my bro and then he can pay off a huge chuck of his LOC? Trust issues arent a concern or apart of the question here, nor is the credit hit they may face, but just wondering when it says balance transfer does it have to be to an account in your name? Or can they basically make large lump sum cheque to my bro? I think he could save 4-5k if they obtained similar amounts from mbna.

Thanks for any help.
fl4less, your icon is HILARIOUS....ROFLMAO. :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Oct 25, 2001
3289 posts
1606 upvotes
Toronto
I just completed the full limit balance transfer on Jan. 24th. What should I expect to see in terms of a due date for my 1st payment? How are you guys paying your charges - are you setting up a bank account in Citi's ebilling system, or are you going to your bank account and setting up Citi as a payee?

I probably won't be in town when my statement arrives in the mail so I want to be sure I do this right...
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1108 posts
82 upvotes
cannon_fodder wrote: I just completed the full limit balance transfer on Jan. 24th. What should I expect to see in terms of a due date for my 1st payment? How are you guys paying your charges - are you setting up a bank account in Citi's ebilling system, or are you going to your bank account and setting up Citi as a payee?

I probably won't be in town when my statement arrives in the mail so I want to be sure I do this right...
The first time I did a balance transfer, I too worried about this very issue. Since I didn't want to wait around for a statement to arrive and tell me that I was late the min payment. I just made a payment right away for some amount. I think it was just above the 2% min payment. This was just in case something happened to the statement, and I didn't receive it on time.

Then once I got my first statement, I deducted the amount I paid and then calculated the 2% min payments spread out over the remaining 11 months, and setup auto payments...right up until the very last months payment of the entire remaining balance.

However, I was always sure to check and double check my statements to make sure everything was humming along smoothly. Whew!!!! :cheesygri
Deal Addict
Dec 20, 2005
1108 posts
82 upvotes
pogs wrote: weird, they declined my app because I already had a card...so I canceled thinking I was going to reapply....then heard that must wait 3 months or so.

So forgot about it...then about 3 weeks after applied, received card....ah well. I guess sometimes the right hand doesn't know what the left hand is doing. :cheesygri
So, about 10 days after I rec'd the card, I got both the reg balance transfer cheques and the 0% bal transfer cheques. Those sneaky basta's didn't count on me rec'g both bal transfer cheques on the same day....or being and RFD'er. LOL :cheesygri

Now, should I call in to do the bal transfer or use the cheques? Which is the easiest, least hassle way to go. I wish they had done it, when I applied. That's how I did it last time.

So does the year start when I do my balance transfer or does it end in some month in 2008...can't remember which offer I applied to. :(
Deal Addict
Dec 12, 2005
1128 posts
276 upvotes
pogs wrote: So, about 10 days after I rec'd the card, I got both the reg balance transfer cheques and the 0% bal transfer cheques. Those sneaky basta's didn't count on me rec'g both bal transfer cheques on the same day....or being and RFD'er. LOL :cheesygri

Now, should I call in to do the bal transfer or use the cheques? Which is the easiest, least hassle way to go. I wish they had done it, when I applied. That's how I did it last time.

So does the year start when I do my balance transfer or does it end in some month in 2008...can't remember which offer I applied to. :(
i've done transfers both ways...but I would save the cheques in case you need to do one later on...so at least you have no fee cheques. I personally don't think you would get hassles to do a BT since they want your money.

As for the offer, from my understanding, if it's an Citibank MC then it's til Jan 08 and MBNA MC it's until Mar/April (correct me if I'm wrong). The year does not start when you do the BT, so better do it earlier than later.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
fl4wless wrote: My bro is a med student and has a large 80k LOC (in addition to his govt student loans). My parents each applied for the citi and received over 45k together, and are thinking about getting the mbna as well. Can they just cut the balance transfer cheques to my bro and then he can pay off a huge chuck of his LOC? Trust issues arent a concern or apart of the question here, nor is the credit hit they may face, but just wondering when it says balance transfer does it have to be to an account in your name? Or can they basically make large lump sum cheque to my bro? I think he could save 4-5k if they obtained similar amounts from mbna.

Thanks for any help.
That's a great idea. Yes they should also apply for the MBNA card even with the 1% transfer fee. They can do the balance transfer into their bank account & then they write a cheque to your brother. Once he deposits the money, he can pay off anything he wants :cheesygri
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
1119 posts
63 upvotes
Thornhill
humansoul wrote: i've done transfers both ways...but I would save the cheques in case you need to do one later on...so at least you have no fee cheques. I personally don't think you would get hassles to do a BT since they want your money.

As for the offer, from my understanding, if it's an Citibank MC then it's til Jan 08 and MBNA MC it's until Mar/April (correct me if I'm wrong). The year does not start when you do the BT, so better do it earlier than later.
Just got my Citi card and activated. I've never done a balance transfer before since I don't carry a balance, so please forgive the stupidity of my question:

1. Can I just call them and ask to transfer money directly to my chequeing account? Or do you have to have a balance somewhere to qualify for the 0%?

2. My wife has an LOC. Can I send money in there?

3. Is there any hidden fee in the transactions?

Much appreciated.
Deal Guru
Apr 17, 2005
11038 posts
1546 upvotes
Brampton
cannon_fodder wrote: I just completed the full limit balance transfer on Jan. 24th. What should I expect to see in terms of a due date for my 1st payment? How are you guys paying your charges - are you setting up a bank account in Citi's ebilling system, or are you going to your bank account and setting up Citi as a payee?

Yes, I set up CITI MC as the payee on my TD EasyWeb banking. You can also access your CITI statement online & see when the due date is.
The OFFICIAL Hardwood Flooring Thread
Voted RFD "Most Helpful Thread of 2012"
260 posts
7 upvotes
Downtown Toronto
Noticed that some people are still applying for the citi gold card that has 0% balance transfers till Nov 2008, even though there is 0% BT till January 2009 available.

http://www.citicards.ca/canada/cards/di ... s_code=q8x

http://www.citicards.ca/canada/cards/di ... s_code=b8w

The code I received was the second one: B8W. The first one was found in OP's first post.

I applied online, and got approved. Limit is $17.6k. Intend to use the money for investment. :D
Deal Guru
Mar 8, 2002
13462 posts
4622 upvotes
GTA
Woofy wrote:
I applied online, and got approved :D
How long does online approval take?