10/10 backup internet connection?

• Last Updated:
  • Sep 30th, 2020 12:35 am
[OP]
Mar 16, 2006
18 posts
3 upvotes

10/10 backup internet connection?

I’m currently with Bell FTTH and I’d like to have a very cheap backup connection on the Rogers network. I’m trying to find something really cheap around 5/5mbps or 10/10mbps but I can’t find anything great. Many of the smaller plans are capped to 1mbps upload.

What are my best options? Are there “secret” promos? I looked at Start, Teksavvy, Carrytel, Ebox so far.

Thanks.
14 replies
Jul 23, 2009
692 posts
455 upvotes
did you get something. i'm trying to do the same,i'm on rogers and looking for something for backup/work when Rogers craps out
Deal Expert
Dec 23, 2003
16625 posts
5185 upvotes
Toronto
Why not just use a hotspot on your phone? If the connection would go down for a couple of hours, a mobile hotspot should get you through things. That is what I do in the odd time I have an issue with Rogers. If you find that you have connectivity issues more often, I would just call Rogers to get it checked out.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2006
18 posts
3 upvotes
You can get a cheap dsl backup on the bell network. Check out the providers I listed above. I’m trying to get a cable backup, so the other way around.
[OP]
Mar 16, 2006
18 posts
3 upvotes
hightech wrote: Why not just use a hotspot on your phone? If the connection would go down for a couple of hours, a mobile hotspot should get you through things. That is what I do in the odd time I have an issue with Rogers. If you find that you have connectivity issues more often, I would just call Rogers to get it checked out.
I want auto fallback on my router because I run many internet accessible services.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36162 posts
9425 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
bmnot wrote: I want auto fallback on my router because I run many internet accessible services.
You’re not going to find anything symmetrical outside of Fibe

Fibe is really reliable and should be adequate. If you need 99.9% uptime, your best option is to get a Rogers LTE modem. Not the mobile hotspot. This is an actual LTE modem that supports failover.
Deal Expert
Aug 22, 2006
29040 posts
14589 upvotes
bmnot wrote: I want auto fallback on my router because I run many internet accessible services.
If your router already supports failover all you need is a wifi to ethernet dealie.

Source: I have a wifi to ethernet dealie and am using my phone as 3rd line backup.
Do you not have anything else to do rather than argue with strangers on the internet
Nope. That's why I'm on the internet arguing with strangers. If I had anything better to do I'd probably be doing it.
Deal Addict
Nov 23, 2004
1116 posts
1983 upvotes
Ontario
bmnot wrote: You can get a cheap dsl backup on the bell network. Check out the providers I listed above. I’m trying to get a cable backup, so the other way around.
Generally you'd want a failover to a completely different provider, as one of the more common reasons your primary connection might go out could be ISP and/or underground wire related, in which case both primary and failover would likely go together if on the same network.
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: You’re not going to find anything symmetrical outside of Fibe

Fibe is really reliable and should be adequate. If you need 99.9% uptime, your best option is to get a Rogers LTE modem. Not the mobile hotspot. This is an actual LTE modem that supports failover.
DOCSIS 4.0 supports full duplex symmetrical over coax, but Canadian carriers aren't there yet.

I agree that fibre is the only real option for symmetrical service in Canada right now.

As suggested, a 4G LTE MIFI device might be a good option. Rogers has data only mobile plans.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36162 posts
9425 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Dynatos wrote: DOCSIS 4.0 supports full duplex symmetrical over coax, but Canadian carriers aren't there yet.
Didn’t know DOCSIS 4.0 supported it.

Since switching to Fibe, I am never going back to cable. I doubt it will ever be as good as Fibe
Deal Addict
Oct 24, 2010
2552 posts
2498 upvotes
Ottawa
Gee wrote: Didn’t know DOCSIS 4.0 supported it.

Since switching to Fibe, I am never going back to cable. I doubt it will ever be as good as Fibe
The cable industry tried to market the next generation of coax tech as competitive with fibre by coining the term "10G" (10Gig over coax) a couple years back. It was also intended to spark a bit of a lively debate with next gen mobile (5G).

The industry will push the limits to maximize their capital investment, but copper will always have technical limitations not present in fibre.
Deal Guru
May 29, 2006
10702 posts
3365 upvotes
i dont know for home, but at work i have a backup cellular modem from telus that engages automatically if the internet goes down, but the internet never goes down, so its never used. this is telus business fiber with backup cellular in Alberta.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36162 posts
9425 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Dynatos wrote: The industry will push the limits to maximize their capital investment, but copper will always have technical limitations not present in fibre.
Makes total sense.

They can crank up Fibe anytime, but now the limitations are with the user networks at home
Deal Addict
Apr 17, 2014
1110 posts
512 upvotes
Corunna, ON
I'm waiting with batted breath for Musk's Satellite internet.
Sep 29, 2020
1 posts
proplayer44 wrote: I'm waiting with batted breath for Musk's Satellite internet.
Me as well!! In the mean time here is a solution that might work. It does come with a Static IP address as well.
It is intended for the rare time that your internet goes down.
Back up internet itrackiot.jpg
Cheers
Eddy

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)