Sports & Recreation

10 day cool off period gym membership = full refund?

• Last Updated:
  • Oct 17th, 2014 11:50 pm
Tags:
None
Deal Addict
Jan 27, 2010
1704 posts
252 upvotes
Scarbontario

10 day cool off period gym membership = full refund?

Signed up with LA fitness, but changed my mind and it's within 10 days. Am I entitled to a full refund, including the "initiation fee" which I paid during sign up?

Additionally, the contract says I need to mail a written cancellation by mail to their P.O. Box in Irvine, CA... can I just do this at the gym where I signed up, or is this just a ploy so I have to go through the hassle of mailing it out?
7 replies
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
I could be wrong but I doubt that you could join, use for 10 days, then claim a full refund. Gyms would be full of short-termers and not making any money if that was the case.
Deal Expert
Oct 5, 2008
18179 posts
14175 upvotes
Toronto
what does your contract say?

If it doesn't, call them and ask.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2004
52935 posts
18144 upvotes
ONTARIO
MS MSP wrote: what does your contract say?

If it doesn't, call them and ask.
Even if its allowed... I imagine that the op would have to sit through an hour of two of hard pressure sales tactics trying to get him to stay.
The weak hearted will say "ok ok fine"
The strong will walk free....
And the occassional hot head will get to be free after a bit of swearing.
Deal Expert
May 14, 2008
41890 posts
1783 upvotes
Canada
Jimboski wrote: Someone's getting this ready for their new years resolution.. The ones that crowd up the gym for the first week of the new year then never come back lol.
Seems like most fitness-related buys are like that. Unfit people spend their money hoping for an instant cure, but quickly fall back into the indiscipline that got them out of shape in the first place. Gyms just cash in on that mentality - if they can.

Thread Information

There is currently 1 user viewing this thread. (0 members and 1 guest)