$10 Fido Data only plan SUCKS

• Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 1:20 pm
[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote

$10 Fido Data only plan SUCKS

I got the fido 4gb plan thinking i could cancel my phone line after to have the $10 a month only however after a few talks with fido online they kept saying it breaks contract and I cant have only tablet plan ... Is this new ? i rmeember this trick used to work ...
16 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 19, 2018
1354 posts
1462 upvotes
The trick is to just open a data only plan at a kisko in a different account. This people just want commission they don't give a **** about breaking contract.

For that one the price is $15 though. Maybe the $10 one can only be activated with an existing account.
[OP]
Nov 26, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Apparently they get audited by fido now however if you port transfer to another pre paid plan then you can have the $10 only at least it worked for me so far hopefully they dont flag my account or something
Dec 7, 2004
16 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Could you please provide some more detail regarding porting?
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
18381 posts
2204 upvotes
Woodbridge
Cucumference wrote: The trick is to just open a data only plan at a kisko in a different account. This people just want commission they don't give a **** about breaking contract.

For that one the price is $15 though. Maybe the $10 one can only be activated with an existing account.
This. YMMV. He had to work his "magic" to sign up my boy to a Data only plan. New customer.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
Oct 28, 2004
21225 posts
2516 upvotes
Toronto
you don't need to call into Fido to cancel your cell line.....definitely porting is the way to go since you can do it online.

Grab a Public Mobile sim for $5 - activate with bare minimum funds and set up a new # on the PM sim.

Then from PM website, port your Fido cell onto the PM sim - this will cancel your Fido cell line automatically and Fido won't be any wiser.

just make sure you know your Fido cell account #, PIN (if available) and the IMEI# of the phone the Fido cell sim is in. This should be enough info to port out.

Now you have a data only line with no cell line.

Gluck!!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Aug 6, 2019
67 posts
28 upvotes
im estatic with my plan. i went to bestbuy first and they denied they have that plan. went to a seedy mall. the girl working there had no problem taking my money.
i like that porting trick. clever.
Oct 24, 2020
7 posts
ji2o0k wrote: you don't need to call into Fido to cancel your cell line.....definitely porting is the way to go since you can do it online.

Grab a Public Mobile sim for $5 - activate with bare minimum funds and set up a new # on the PM sim.

Then from PM website, port your Fido cell onto the PM sim - this will cancel your Fido cell line automatically and Fido won't be any wiser.

just make sure you know your Fido cell account #, PIN (if available) and the IMEI# of the phone the Fido cell sim is in. This should be enough info to port out.

Now you have a data only line with no cell line.

Gluck!!!
I read from this thread (fido-retention-plans-376936/) that Fido requires 30 days notice prior to porting-out or cancelling in provinces other than Quebec, as outlined in Section 34 & 35 of Fido's Terms and Conditions. The 30 days notice can be avoided if migrating to prepaid first, but a $35 migration fee will be charged on final bill.

Does anyone know whether the $35 migration fee is still around these days please?
Last edited by ReDdErJGD on Oct 31st, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18392 posts
4758 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting.

I had two voice lines on Fido and one 4 GB $10 data line at 50% off so $5 per month.

I've ported out one line to Rogers for an EPP plan, and I'll be porting out the other line to Telus also for an EPP plan. That just leaves my 4 GB tablet plan at $5.

Am I correct to assume it might be a foolish idea to call in to try to renew the 50% discount on the tablet plan when the discount expires, given that I won't have any voice lines anymore?
Nov 30, 2016
879 posts
1090 upvotes
Mississauga
EugW wrote:
Am I correct to assume it might be a foolish idea to call in to try to renew the 50% discount on the tablet plan when the discount expires, given that I won't have any voice lines anymore?
It's worth a try. My wife has a data only account, previous tablet deal expired 2 months ago, but last week we got them to renew the 50% discount and add a ZTE tablet that's $0 plus another $5 discount for a total of $0/month.
Doesn't hurt to ask
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18392 posts
4758 upvotes
Toronto
Gangsta101 wrote: It's worth a try. My wife has a data only account, previous tablet deal expired 2 months ago, but last week we got them to renew the 50% discount and add a ZTE tablet that's $0 plus another $5 discount for a total of $0/month.
Doesn't hurt to ask
Good to know, thx.
Apr 19, 2014
70 posts
96 upvotes
Markham, ON
EricL89257 wrote: I got the fido 4gb plan thinking i could cancel my phone line after to have the $10 a month only however after a few talks with fido online they kept saying it breaks contract and I cant have only tablet plan ... Is this new ? i rmeember this trick used to work ...
I have 2 of these plans and I love it.

I pay $5/mo + tax combined for the plans + Huawei tablet.