Cell Phones

$10 Fido Data only plan SUCKS

  • Last Updated:
  • Nov 3rd, 2020 1:20 pm
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 26, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote

$10 Fido Data only plan SUCKS

I got the fido 4gb plan thinking i could cancel my phone line after to have the $10 a month only however after a few talks with fido online they kept saying it breaks contract and I cant have only tablet plan ... Is this new ? i rmeember this trick used to work ...
16 replies
Deal Addict
User avatar
Aug 19, 2018
1370 posts
1489 upvotes
The trick is to just open a data only plan at a kisko in a different account. This people just want commission they don't give a **** about breaking contract.

For that one the price is $15 though. Maybe the $10 one can only be activated with an existing account.
[OP]
Newbie
Nov 26, 2019
4 posts
1 upvote
Apparently they get audited by fido now however if you port transfer to another pre paid plan then you can have the $10 only at least it worked for me so far hopefully they dont flag my account or something
Newbie
Dec 7, 2004
16 posts
12 upvotes
Toronto
Could you please provide some more detail regarding porting?
Deal Expert
User avatar
Jan 27, 2006
18504 posts
2281 upvotes
Woodbridge
Cucumference wrote: The trick is to just open a data only plan at a kisko in a different account. This people just want commission they don't give a **** about breaking contract.

For that one the price is $15 though. Maybe the $10 one can only be activated with an existing account.
This. YMMV. He had to work his "magic" to sign up my boy to a Data only plan. New customer.
"I'll put up color bars before I'll put you in front of our cameras."

- MacKenzie
THE NEWSROOM (HBO)
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 28, 2004
21400 posts
2631 upvotes
Toronto
you don't need to call into Fido to cancel your cell line.....definitely porting is the way to go since you can do it online.

Grab a Public Mobile sim for $5 - activate with bare minimum funds and set up a new # on the PM sim.

Then from PM website, port your Fido cell onto the PM sim - this will cancel your Fido cell line automatically and Fido won't be any wiser.

just make sure you know your Fido cell account #, PIN (if available) and the IMEI# of the phone the Fido cell sim is in. This should be enough info to port out.

Now you have a data only line with no cell line.

Gluck!!!

FS: Nothing at the moment
Heatware: 63-0-0
Newbie
Aug 6, 2019
90 posts
38 upvotes
im estatic with my plan. i went to bestbuy first and they denied they have that plan. went to a seedy mall. the girl working there had no problem taking my money.
i like that porting trick. clever.
Newbie
Oct 24, 2020
19 posts
ji2o0k wrote: you don't need to call into Fido to cancel your cell line.....definitely porting is the way to go since you can do it online.

Grab a Public Mobile sim for $5 - activate with bare minimum funds and set up a new # on the PM sim.

Then from PM website, port your Fido cell onto the PM sim - this will cancel your Fido cell line automatically and Fido won't be any wiser.

just make sure you know your Fido cell account #, PIN (if available) and the IMEI# of the phone the Fido cell sim is in. This should be enough info to port out.

Now you have a data only line with no cell line.

Gluck!!!
I read from this thread (fido-retention-plans-376936/) that Fido requires 30 days notice prior to porting-out or cancelling in provinces other than Quebec, as outlined in Section 34 & 35 of Fido's Terms and Conditions. The 30 days notice can be avoided if migrating to prepaid first, but a $35 migration fee will be charged on final bill.

Does anyone know whether the $35 migration fee is still around these days please?
Last edited by ReDdErJGD on Oct 31st, 2020 9:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18757 posts
4917 upvotes
Toronto
Interesting.

I had two voice lines on Fido and one 4 GB $10 data line at 50% off so $5 per month.

I've ported out one line to Rogers for an EPP plan, and I'll be porting out the other line to Telus also for an EPP plan. That just leaves my 4 GB tablet plan at $5.

Am I correct to assume it might be a foolish idea to call in to try to renew the 50% discount on the tablet plan when the discount expires, given that I won't have any voice lines anymore?
Sr. Member
Nov 30, 2016
973 posts
1258 upvotes
Mississauga
EugW wrote:
Am I correct to assume it might be a foolish idea to call in to try to renew the 50% discount on the tablet plan when the discount expires, given that I won't have any voice lines anymore?
It's worth a try. My wife has a data only account, previous tablet deal expired 2 months ago, but last week we got them to renew the 50% discount and add a ZTE tablet that's $0 plus another $5 discount for a total of $0/month.
Doesn't hurt to ask
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
18757 posts
4917 upvotes
Toronto
Gangsta101 wrote: It's worth a try. My wife has a data only account, previous tablet deal expired 2 months ago, but last week we got them to renew the 50% discount and add a ZTE tablet that's $0 plus another $5 discount for a total of $0/month.
Doesn't hurt to ask
Good to know, thx.
Jr. Member
Apr 19, 2014
104 posts
118 upvotes
Markham, ON
EricL89257 wrote: I got the fido 4gb plan thinking i could cancel my phone line after to have the $10 a month only however after a few talks with fido online they kept saying it breaks contract and I cant have only tablet plan ... Is this new ? i rmeember this trick used to work ...
I have 2 of these plans and I love it.

I pay $5/mo + tax combined for the plans + Huawei tablet.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 11, 2008
7907 posts
1574 upvotes
EricL89257 wrote: I got the fido 4gb plan thinking i could cancel my phone line after to have the $10 a month only however after a few talks with fido online they kept saying it breaks contract and I cant have only tablet plan ... Is this new ? i rmeember this trick used to work ...
Tell them where is the small print saying the voice lines needs to be maintained. Only says you need a voice/data/text line to get it, doesn't say anything about keeping it
Deal Addict
User avatar
Apr 18, 2009
3565 posts
770 upvotes
Toronto
EugW wrote: Am I correct to assume it might be a foolish idea to call in to try to renew the 50% discount on the tablet plan when the discount expires, given that I won't have any voice lines anymore?
im a fido customer with nothing but tablet plan (no voice plans) for the past 4 years since nov 2016 (when they first introduced $15 for 3GB with the "free" LG tablet locked for 2 years).

i called a couple of weeks ago because my 50% loyalty discount was expiring (renews after 2 years). they were able to extend my loyalty discount for another 2 years (now my deadline is oct 2022).

note that this is my second "renewal" to the tablet plan, which means i called fido back in 2018 and i was granted the 50% discount for 2 years leading to last month ($7.50 for 3GB)

i also upgraded to the more "current" 4gb plan, so in the end i will be paying $5/month for 4gb data (same as you) for the next 2 years until oct 2022.

so if i can extend my 50% discount into 2022, so can you

ADD:
wifey also called fido today because her 2-year 50% loyalty discount for the tablet plan is also expiring. she is also able to keep the discount until nov 2022

Top