• Last Updated:
  • Oct 23rd, 2019 10:21 am
Tags:
[OP]
May 21, 2019
174 posts
82 upvotes

$100 2004 Bill - Any Value?

Is there any value to the last Canadian $100 2004 paper currency (removed from circulation in 2011)? There are listenings on eBay like this one for $125 (and this seller actually sold one.)

According to Wikipedia they're still in wide circulation. Coins and Canada website lists a value for extra-fine grade certain serial numbered replacement bills (none of which match the serial numbers on various eBay listings)

Are these sellers preying on dumb buyers or is there legitimate value to the bills?
26 replies
Deal Addict
Aug 10, 2006
1610 posts
855 upvotes
Are these sellers preying on dumb buyers or is there legitimate value to the bills?

estimating the ebay / paypal fees ($12+) and insured shipping envelope costs with Canada Post $8, handling or profit if any $5 for holding onto a $100 bill (likely mint) under the pillow with 0 interest after 15 years, sounds like a goodwill seller to me selling something that might be hard to find. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
Feb 28, 2014
563 posts
672 upvotes
Seriously? People paid a $25 premium on a recently circulated bill (one that still floats around from time to time)... Well, guess I have to keep my stash longer to see if it goes up in value lol. I thought these bills were still too common to command any premium...

As it stands, this bill is still legal tender, Bank of Canada hasn't officially removed any value on the bill, it's worth $100 like it did back when the series was in circulation. Basically all Canadian Dollar bills still have their face value, it's only a select few series will no longer become legal tender, only the following series are affected: https://www.bankofcanada.ca/banknotes/u ... ank-notes/
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12197 posts
15343 upvotes
nl1000 wrote: Is there any value to the last Canadian $100 2004 paper currency (removed from circulation in 2011)? There are listenings on eBay like this one for $125 (and this seller actually sold one.)

According to Wikipedia they're still in wide circulation. Coins and Canada website lists a value for extra-fine grade certain serial numbered replacement bills (none of which match the serial numbers on various eBay listings)

There is value only if it is in pristine uncirculated condition, ie no creases, sharp corners and even with that it is only a small premium - $10-$25. Also if it has some unusual serial numbers like 88888888, 5000000, and replacement bills that have special serial numbers.

If it none of the above, just spend it.
Have a nice day!

Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
If you had said the $1,000 bill... you might have something
Deal Addict
Mar 10, 2018
3721 posts
793 upvotes
centre of universe
nl1000 wrote: Is there any value to the last Canadian $100 2004 paper currency (removed from circulation in 2011)? There are listenings on eBay like this one for $125 (and this seller actually sold one.)

$100 2004 Bill - Any Value?
imo only if you find any mistake on that bill. otherwise not worth it but I like to keep such bills as collector.
I dont care about Ethics, morals, rules or laws. I will apologies only when I get caught.
I try not to apologies but sometimes do it. not because its right thing but it benefits me.
New Mantra for idiots Just ask RFD before searching answers anywhere.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2057 posts
1477 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
orianna wrote: If you had said the $1,000 bill... you might have something
Something more than a $1000. I don’t think the $1000 bills are worth more than a $1000 either. It has to be pretty rare
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: Something more than a $1000. I don’t think the $1000 bills are worth more than a $1000 either. It has to be pretty rare
try buying a 1000 bill. They have been out of circulation for like 8 years. I still have one.

If you can get me 1000 bills for the same amount.. i'll buy 10k off you rn
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2057 posts
1477 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
orianna wrote: try buying a 1000 bill. They have been out of circulation for like 8 years. I still have one.

If you can get me 1000 bills for the same amount.. i'll buy 10k off you rn
Have you tried selling it for more than $1000. Take your bill to a dealer and they still aren’t buying. Even circa 1954. How much would you actually pay for 10 bills? Even though out of circulation, there are very few buyers of any for them. A few years ago, I took them to Costco on a shopping trip because there were no buyers.

I have a bunch of $2 bills, and really old bills, and they aren’t worth much more than face value.
On a 'smart' device that isn't always so smart. So please forgive the autocorrects and typos. If it bothers you, then don't read my posts, but don't waste my time correcting me. If you can get past the typos, then my posts generally have some value.
Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
Just hold onto it. It'll only increase in value.
Deal Guru
Jun 1, 2006
12197 posts
15343 upvotes
x3fann wrote: Just hold onto it. It'll only increase in value.
No, it won't increase in value because they printed too many of them - more than 250 Million were printed. With so many out there how can anything be worth more than face value. For something to be valuable, it has to be a rare item. And age got nothing to do with value. Some bills from the 1950's are still only worth face value.
Have a nice day!

Dec 30, 2016
315 posts
273 upvotes
LonesomeDove wrote: No, it won't increase in value because they printed too many of them - more than 250 Million were printed. With so many out there how can anything be worth more than face value. For something to be valuable, it has to be a rare item. And age got nothing to do with value. Some bills from the 1950's are still only worth face value.
I stand corrected.
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: Have you tried selling it for more than $1000. Take your bill to a dealer and they still aren’t buying. Even circa 1954. How much would you actually pay for 10 bills? Even though out of circulation, there are very few buyers of any for them. A few years ago, I took them to Costco on a shopping trip because there were no buyers.

I have a bunch of $2 bills, and really old bills, and they aren’t worth much more than face value.
? why would i sell it if i'm collecting it. Sell me yours for 1,000. I'll buy them.
Deal Addict
Jan 2, 2015
2057 posts
1477 upvotes
NOT centre of Univer…
orianna wrote: ? why would i sell it if i'm collecting it. Sell me yours for 1,000. I'll buy them.
Some I received almost 20 years ago, and the giver had them for at least 20 years back then. At that time I had hoped, that would increase in value. I would have considered selling some of them if they were worth a lot more than the face value. Now, I have keep mine more for sentimental reasons than anything now. I try not to think about what the lost purchasing power has been over 30+ years due to inflation.

Now, if you offer me $1500 for one, I would sell it to you.
[OP]
May 21, 2019
174 posts
82 upvotes
wakka2u wrote: estimating the ebay / paypal fees ($12+) and insured shipping envelope costs with Canada Post $8, handling or profit if any $5 for holding onto a $100 bill (likely mint) under the pillow with 0 interest after 15 years, sounds like a goodwill seller to me selling something that might be hard to find. Smiling Face With Open Mouth And Smiling Eyes
So basically, it's a losing proposition for both the buyer and seller.

Note though, if you have these bills in near mint condition it's probably worth your time to check the serial numbers against the short list of replacement bills from the 2006 issue (some covering thousands of numbers in a range) on the Coins and Canada website in the link above. The probability of a single bill being a replacement bill is low given the ratio to bills in circulation but well worth a quick check. You're looking at $120-170 a bill. Probably enough to cover inflation.

Thanks all for your input.
Last edited by nl1000 on Oct 21st, 2019 5:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Aug 17, 2013
696 posts
602 upvotes
Toronto
Macx2mommy wrote: Some I received almost 20 years ago, and the giver had them for at least 20 years back then. At that time I had hoped, that would increase in value. I would have considered selling some of them if they were worth a lot more than the face value. Now, I have keep mine more for sentimental reasons than anything now. I try not to think about what the lost purchasing power has been over 30+ years due to inflation.

Now, if you offer me $1500 for one, I would sell it to you.
Exactly.. people like you are the definition of a contradiction. You first say it's worth nothing .. or max face value.. now you want 1,500. lol i laugh. "A few years ago" you tried to use it and couldn't... now you want to keep them.

I don't waste time with people like you.