• Last Updated:
  • Sep 3rd, 2018 12:34 am
Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
11658 posts
1739 upvotes
Vancouver

100% maple syrup?

I have an unopened can of pure maple syrup. The best before date is sept of 2018. Which happens to be today lol. I read some different opinions on maple syrup. Some sites say if unopened it lasts a long time well others claim differently.

Maybe I should throw it away to be safe? It was stored in my cupboard. I want to have pancakes tomorrow morning.

Thanks
14 replies
Deal Addict
Jan 10, 2009
1078 posts
516 upvotes
Toronto
You're fine. Firstly it's a Best Before Date not a Use By Date. Secondly, it's unopened. It'll be good for a long time yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
9295 posts
3564 upvotes
Toronto
newly opened so you're definitely fine. yeah, make sure you refrigerate it.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Member
Aug 30, 2017
236 posts
162 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
If both are sealed properly and there were no impurities in the syrup before packaging, cans have the potential to have a much longer "service date" than a plastic jug which is comparatively more porous.

Open it up and inspect it, if there are no "floaties" or film on the surface then fire up the griddle for some pancakes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
7210 posts
3380 upvotes
The best before dates should really be taken with a grain of salt. I think they were designed to make us discard more food so we would buy more food. There are websites you can google that will tell you what the real life of products are but using common sense works too. Unless the product is a real perishable like dairy, cheese, fresh vegetables, meat, etc. there probably is some longevity to it. The websites are a way to add confidence to your decision and the smell test works great also.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1517 posts
33 upvotes
usa
This is off topic, but is maple syrup supposed to be very thin like water? I don't remember what brand I bought nor if it's 100% maple syrup, but when I pour it out, it was like water.
Moderator
May 28, 2012
10878 posts
3026 upvotes
Saskatoon
gta1216 wrote: This is off topic, but is maple syrup supposed to be very thin like water? I don't remember what brand I bought nor if it's 100% maple syrup, but when I pour it out, it was like water.
There are different grades of maple syrup...the lighter the colour, the more runny and lighter it is on flavour. Costco Kirkland used to sell the light syrup (grade A?) but I've noticed they have changed to the darker syrup now (haven't bought it from there since the first and only time).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4390 posts
1929 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Mars2012 wrote: There are different grades of maple syrup...the lighter the colour, the more runny and lighter it is on flavour. Costco Kirkland used to sell the light syrup (grade A?) but I've noticed they have changed to the darker syrup now (haven't bought it from there since the first and only time).
Highest grade is supposed to be the light stuff (other ones are amber and dark). The Québecois use the light and dark for different purposes.
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Guru
User avatar
Jan 30, 2006
11658 posts
1739 upvotes
Vancouver
I actually threw it out or at least it’s sitting in a bag to be disposed of. Meanwhile I bought a small bottle at Loblaws $6.99 . I don’t use this stuff much at all.

The old one was around $8-10

I also like the bottle better for storage. Unopened syrup was in a can.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Mar 31, 2017
6482 posts
2828 upvotes
maple syrup is pure sugar, and sugar is a form of preservative. That syrup is good for a long, long time.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jan 9, 2011
8817 posts
10114 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote: I actually threw it out or at least it’s sitting in a bag to be disposed of. Meanwhile I bought a small bottle at Loblaws $6.99 . I don’t use this stuff much at all.

The old one was around $8-10

I also like the bottle better for storage. Unopened syrup was in a can.
Check your PM's. I want it!
Deal Addict
User avatar
Jan 9, 2002
2555 posts
502 upvotes
Burlington
It's fine. Even if it has mold growing on the surface, skim it off....boil the syrup if it grosses you out and put into a sterilized container...keep in the fridge
We buy it locally, and sometimes (even in the fridge) it grows a skin if it sits for a while. Never had a problem. We just always check before we pour :)
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.

Top