Tags:
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10361 posts
1165 upvotes
Vancouver

100% maple syrup?

I have an unopened can of pure maple syrup. The best before date is sept of 2018. Which happens to be today lol. I read some different opinions on maple syrup. Some sites say if unopened it lasts a long time well others claim differently.

Maybe I should throw it away to be safe? It was stored in my cupboard. I want to have pancakes tomorrow morning.

Thanks
14 replies
Jan 10, 2009
819 posts
322 upvotes
Toronto
You're fine. Firstly it's a Best Before Date not a Use By Date. Secondly, it's unopened. It'll be good for a long time yet.
Deal Fanatic
Jun 29, 2010
8663 posts
3071 upvotes
Toronto
newly opened so you're definitely fine. yeah, make sure you refrigerate it.
Good, better, best. Never let it rest. 'Til your good is better and your better is best.
Aug 30, 2017
217 posts
152 upvotes
GTA East - Durham
If both are sealed properly and there were no impurities in the syrup before packaging, cans have the potential to have a much longer "service date" than a plastic jug which is comparatively more porous.

Open it up and inspect it, if there are no "floaties" or film on the surface then fire up the griddle for some pancakes.
Deal Fanatic
Oct 7, 2007
5082 posts
1770 upvotes
The best before dates should really be taken with a grain of salt. I think they were designed to make us discard more food so we would buy more food. There are websites you can google that will tell you what the real life of products are but using common sense works too. Unless the product is a real perishable like dairy, cheese, fresh vegetables, meat, etc. there probably is some longevity to it. The websites are a way to add confidence to your decision and the smell test works great also.
Deal Addict
Aug 20, 2007
1459 posts
23 upvotes
usa
This is off topic, but is maple syrup supposed to be very thin like water? I don't remember what brand I bought nor if it's 100% maple syrup, but when I pour it out, it was like water.
May 28, 2012
10270 posts
2420 upvotes
Saskatoon
gta1216 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 2:49 pm
This is off topic, but is maple syrup supposed to be very thin like water? I don't remember what brand I bought nor if it's 100% maple syrup, but when I pour it out, it was like water.
There are different grades of maple syrup...the lighter the colour, the more runny and lighter it is on flavour. Costco Kirkland used to sell the light syrup (grade A?) but I've noticed they have changed to the darker syrup now (haven't bought it from there since the first and only time).
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
2121 posts
784 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Mars2012 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 2:56 pm
There are different grades of maple syrup...the lighter the colour, the more runny and lighter it is on flavour. Costco Kirkland used to sell the light syrup (grade A?) but I've noticed they have changed to the darker syrup now (haven't bought it from there since the first and only time).
Highest grade is supposed to be the light stuff (other ones are amber and dark). The Québecois use the light and dark for different purposes.
Almost too cheap to shop through RFD
[OP]
Deal Guru
Jan 30, 2006
10361 posts
1165 upvotes
Vancouver
I actually threw it out or at least it’s sitting in a bag to be disposed of. Meanwhile I bought a small bottle at Loblaws $6.99 . I don’t use this stuff much at all.

The old one was around $8-10

I also like the bottle better for storage. Unopened syrup was in a can.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 31, 2017
5178 posts
2148 upvotes
maple syrup is pure sugar, and sugar is a form of preservative. That syrup is good for a long, long time.
Deal Fanatic
Jan 9, 2011
5609 posts
5578 upvotes
Vancouver
trellaine201 wrote:
Sep 2nd, 2018 9:10 pm
I actually threw it out or at least it’s sitting in a bag to be disposed of. Meanwhile I bought a small bottle at Loblaws $6.99 . I don’t use this stuff much at all.

The old one was around $8-10

I also like the bottle better for storage. Unopened syrup was in a can.
Check your PM's. I want it!
Deal Addict
Jan 9, 2002
2491 posts
428 upvotes
Burlington
It's fine. Even if it has mold growing on the surface, skim it off....boil the syrup if it grosses you out and put into a sterilized container...keep in the fridge
We buy it locally, and sometimes (even in the fridge) it grows a skin if it sits for a while. Never had a problem. We just always check before we pour :)
Not your standard VoIP. Different and novel options & advice for my RFD friends.