[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1078 posts
435 upvotes
Grimsby

100 Year Old Full House Renovation

Hi everyone.

I feel a bit ashamed to admit that I never chronicled my journey renovating a 100 year old home that we purchased. But I guess that leads to a bit of a silver lining which is that most of the work is actually done, and now I can go back and chronicle it here, for you guys to come along with me and reminisce on all the blood sweat and tears that went into this project.

A bit of a background on the home; it was built circa 1918-1920, the exact date of which isn't completely known. The previous owner was really into the history of the home and gave me all sorts of information. I'll attach a picture he sent me, where you can see the house from a baseball game back in the early 1920s.
IMG_5086.jpeg
Our house is the one in the top right corner.

It's worth noting that this house was actually moved in the 1960s about 5km from where that original picture was taken, and placed on top of a block foundation basement. At this point, dormers were added to the attic and an upstairs was officially created. Here are pictures of the house shortly after we got possession.
59050177120__16FDB89E-0A63-4D8B-B681-9994AD3E6395.jpeg
IMG_0952.jpeg
IMG_0953.jpeg
IMG_0954.jpeg
IMG_4831.jpeg

I am ashamed to admit I didn't get a ton of photos before the demolition started. On day 1, the upstairs already looked like this:
IMG_4715.jpeg
59052670782__3709C149-BAF3-490E-A7D0-44D2CEF3E928.jpeg
IMG_4730.jpeg
IMG_4755.jpeg
We found all sorts of stuff - vermiculite (which we tested and thankfully had no asbestos), knob and tube, and the list goes on.

I'll do my best to update this thread daily!

To prove the worth of following along, I'll give you an after picture so you know where this whole thing is heading.

IMG_3947.jpeg
The worst part about prison was the Dementors. - Michael Scott

My Basement Reno Project
30 replies
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1078 posts
435 upvotes
Grimsby
Also worth mentioning, a large portion of this rebuild was done DIY. When we journey into the past I will point out what was done by me, and what I contracted out.

My Basement Reno Project
Deal Guru
Oct 6, 2010
14043 posts
8467 upvotes
Toronto
I haven't seen you around in a long long time. Good to know you're still alive. Just for that, upvoted.
DYI difficulty scale:
0-joke
10-no joke

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Deal Addict
Jul 7, 2017
4956 posts
2180 upvotes
SW corner of the cou…
Nice to see old houses being appreciated, even to the point of being moved and put on better foundations (instead of remaining on none). My previous house was built in 1911 and my wife bought a 3 storey house (valued for the s.f. as it is overheight for current building regulations) built in 1908 as a rental. Both still there AFAIK.

There's an outfit on the west coast that will move houses (and even sell them).

https://www.nickelbros.com/
Cream rises to the top. So does scum.
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1078 posts
435 upvotes
Grimsby
So the initial plan was to leave the outside of the house as is (was?). It was white siding with brown flashing, and it looked decent. The initial scope of things was just to gut everything on the inside and build it back up.

Gutting the upstairs was an absolute nightmare. Every wall and ceiling cavity was stuffed with white blown in insulation, and I mean STUFFED. My brothers and my dad were around these days to help me take debris to the bin. I cannot stress how much debris there was. Looking back at the pictures I get chills down my spine.

IMG_4717.jpeg
IMG_4756.jpeg
IMG_4753.jpeg

I think its worth giving a bit of context to the upstairs. There is three bedrooms, 1 bathroom, and 1 small room with awkward ceilings.

IMG_4787.jpeg
Front bedroom

IMG_4789.jpeg
North bedroom

IMG_4729.jpeg
South bedroom

IMG_4780.jpeg
Upstairs bathroom

The upstairs bathroom and the north bedroom are on the same side of the house and I will eventually end up flipping their layouts.

My Basement Reno Project
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1078 posts
435 upvotes
Grimsby
Demolition continues! (Spoiler alert: it continues for weeks and weeks)

We are still upstairs which has a super simple layout. When you come up to the stairs, to your right is the small room (pictured), straight ahead is the door leading to the bathroom (which will eventually become a bedroom), to the left is a hallway that then leads to the three bedrooms.
IMG_4788.jpeg
IMG_4757.jpeg
IMG_4782.jpeg
IMG_4783.jpeg
IMG_4781.jpeg
IMG_4779.jpeg
IMG_4785.jpeg

My Basement Reno Project
Nov 23, 2011
601 posts
586 upvotes
West GTA
Great thread! I'll be following along.
Deal Addict
Dec 24, 2007
1890 posts
430 upvotes
Toronto
Oh no flashback!!!!!

Brings back a lot of memories.

Old homes are great and most have great bones, but upgrading it can put a big dent in the wallet. At the end there is nothing like doing the work yourself.

Glad you are taken this project on and hopefully the post gets updated with lots of pics.

Cheers!
Thread started in 2016 - 1927 fully gutted and renovated 2 storey detached home in the big T.O. - small projects still in progress.

RFD priceless!
Deal Addict
Apr 26, 2003
1151 posts
411 upvotes
Very cool that you can know the history of your house. Even cooler that they moved it instead of simply demolishing it. At least you have insulation in the walls. Our "new" house was built in 1970 and we're renovating it now.. windows getting replaced as I write this and there's no insulation in the walls at all. Just two layers of brick and plywood/drywall and plaster.

Will subscribe to this thread as well, love seeing rebuilds and renovations in process. Kudos to you that you DIY'd most of it.
Feb 26, 2019
304 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
Nice job, man. It’s very rewarding to tackle a big project like this.
Deal Guru
Mar 13, 2004
10825 posts
2670 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario
Looks interesting, thanks for the photos.
0_o
<_<
>_>
Oct 25, 2017
50 posts
25 upvotes
Enjoying this thread and looking forward to seeing the progress pics. Our house is from 1916, I’m sure there are probably some skeletons in our walls...our bathroom is being done next month so bracing myself for what our contractor finds in walls and floors
Feb 26, 2019
304 posts
271 upvotes
Ottawa
Did you live in the house during construction?
[OP]
Deal Addict
Nov 29, 2011
1078 posts
435 upvotes
Grimsby
dottawat wrote: Did you live in the house during construction?
No sir. Original plan was to try to, but quickly realized the scope of the renovation was magnifying exponentially and decided against it.

My Basement Reno Project
Apr 17, 2016
314 posts
176 upvotes
Toronto
aprofetto wrote: No sir. Original plan was to try to, but quickly realized the scope of the renovation was magnifying exponentially and decided against it.
I did a full gut job on my 2 storey semi (almost 100 yrs old) and lived in it the whole time. Would never do this again! We did it floor by floor, starting at the top and worked our way down. Fortunately, my wife was very understanding and has been through this in the past with her own family when she was younger but now that we have a baby, no way we could do this now. The worst was when we did the main floor and moved the kitchen to the basement...so cold and miserable down there, especially over the winter.

Looking forward to hearing your story!