100 Year Old Full House Renovation
I feel a bit ashamed to admit that I never chronicled my journey renovating a 100 year old home that we purchased. But I guess that leads to a bit of a silver lining which is that most of the work is actually done, and now I can go back and chronicle it here, for you guys to come along with me and reminisce on all the blood sweat and tears that went into this project.
A bit of a background on the home; it was built circa 1918-1920, the exact date of which isn't completely known. The previous owner was really into the history of the home and gave me all sorts of information. I'll attach a picture he sent me, where you can see the house from a baseball game back in the early 1920s.
Our house is the one in the top right corner.
It's worth noting that this house was actually moved in the 1960s about 5km from where that original picture was taken, and placed on top of a block foundation basement. At this point, dormers were added to the attic and an upstairs was officially created. Here are pictures of the house shortly after we got possession.
I am ashamed to admit I didn't get a ton of photos before the demolition started. On day 1, the upstairs already looked like this:
We found all sorts of stuff - vermiculite (which we tested and thankfully had no asbestos), knob and tube, and the list goes on.
I'll do my best to update this thread daily!
To prove the worth of following along, I'll give you an after picture so you know where this whole thing is heading.
My Basement Reno Project