$1000 Rogers Bill...?!

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 29th, 2017 2:18 pm
Tags:
Apr 26, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes

$1000 Rogers Bill...?!

So, I text people in the US through iMessage, not SMS. I send picture messages, etc. We have a group chat where some people are from Canada and some are from the US. I got my bill in a few days ago from Rogers and it was $983. Everything checked out, except for the "1098 Int'l Picture/Video Messages", which I didn't send 1100 of... maybe 20, 30 max...

Only thing is I tried to call them, the wait times are 1-3 hours, and the one time I finally got through the guy picked up, said "hello? I can't hear you," and then hung up. Which reeeeally set me off. Live chat is a joke, the page refreshed itself and I lost my session. Is there any way I can just talk to a human? I don't even think this would take very long to clear up, I just need my charges revisioned because obviously $1000 for a phone bill is just unacceptable, especially if it wasn't my fault. Also, why wouldn't they tell me periodically... "hey, Rogers user, your phone bill is nearing $200..." etc. (funny thing - they warn you when you're $30 over but that's it).

Any advice on how to tackle this?
Last edited by titaniumtux on Dec 18th, 2017 11:49 am, edited 1 time in total.
Reason: foul language
31 replies
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
Overages charges as per wireless code is on data, sadly nothing AFAIK for calls and SMS/MMS.

Definitely call Robbers until they pick up and fix this mess, since based on your story, they're clearly in the wrong for overcharging you, unless there'd be a glitch on your phone.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Dec 12, 2017
96 posts
37 upvotes
I've seen this happened before to somebody I know, and it's because they had 500mb data and they kept sending picture messaging (memes) to a lot of people. So in a nutshell they got billed an arm and a leg, because the picture messaging takes data and he finished his data cap and got billed on top. But Robbers credited the money back to his account because of his loyalty to them. And now he enjoys the "FREEDOM" of no overage charges and loves his 10GB plan (to death).

The end.
Deal Addict
Sep 17, 2011
3885 posts
666 upvotes
Give it a couple days and try calling back... the system is over loaded right now with everyone trying to get in on the $60 plan
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'd wait until Wednesday probably, or try calling at the very start of their call centre hours. I'd imagine their lines to be swamped with people trying to sign up for the 10gb plans being offered until tomorrow.

Oh... That's what he said ⬆ :facepalm:
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8795 upvotes
ryanscharger wrote: So, I text people in the US through iMessage, not SMS. I send picture messages, etc. We have a group chat where some people are from Canada and some are from the US. I got my bill in a few days ago from Rogers and it was $983. Everything checked out, except for the "1098 Int'l Picture/Video Messages", which I didn't send 1100 of... maybe 20, 30 max...

Only thing is I tried to call them, the wait times are 1-3 hours, and the one time I finally got through the guy picked up, said "hello? I can't hear you," and then hung up. Which reeeeally set me off. Live chat is a joke, the page refreshed itself and I lost my session. Is there any way I can just talk to a human? I don't even think this would take very long to clear up, I just need my charges revisioned because obviously $1000 for a phone bill is just unacceptable, especially if it wasn't my fault. Also, why wouldn't they tell me periodically... "hey, Rogers user, your phone bill is nearing $200..." etc. (funny thing - they warn you when you're $30 over but that's it).

Any advice on how to tackle this?
Uh oh. Do you have a texting plan of some sort? Or do you rely on data for iMessage? If you don't have a texting plan, Rogers charges per message to send AND receive MMS...
Deal Fanatic
Apr 5, 2016
6116 posts
4613 upvotes
Calgary/Vancouver
This is like the worse time to be calling them lol.

It probably sent them as MMS when iMessages wasn't connected. In settings you could turn off MMS but you will have to initiate MMS every time you actually want to send MMS. This is why for group chats I use third party chat apps like whatsapp and wechat.
Deal Addict
Jan 13, 2014
2988 posts
2030 upvotes
Calgary
Are all the people you chat with in the group using iMessage? Are you seeing the green bubbles for all your conversations?
Apr 26, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
Thanks for the help guys - I didn't know they were offering a plan. Will try again on Wednesday (bill due on the 30th so I have time).

Also yes, I have a group chat with about 8 people, all green because some people don't have iPhones. Does this mean every picture I send I'm charged 8x that, because of the 8 people? I've probably sent about 20-30 pictures out like that. From here on out though I told them we're using WhatsApp. I don't know how they're not all getting charged insane amounts of money.
Deal Addict
Dec 27, 2013
3731 posts
1526 upvotes
Woodbridge
I'm just guessing so this could all be bubcus, but perhaps iMessage sent to non-iPhones counts as an MMS and is charged accordingly?
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
ryanscharger wrote: Thanks for the help guys - I didn't know they were offering a plan. Will try again on Wednesday (bill due on the 30th so I have time).

Also yes, I have a group chat with about 8 people, all green because some people don't have iPhones. Does this mean every picture I send I'm charged 8x that, because of the 8 people? I've probably sent about 20-30 pictures out like that. From here on out though I told them we're using WhatsApp. I don't know how they're not all getting charged insane amounts of money.
If they're on newer plans that include SMS/MMS, it's a non-issue. Plus, if they use Android, they don't know anything about iMessage and are already accustomed to MMS.
jvnanu wrote: I'm just guessing so this could all be bubcus, but perhaps iMessage sent to non-iPhones counts as an MMS and is charged accordingly?
This is likely the culprit.
Premium Life: CDC [Icey Private Status]/SwissBorg Genesis/InLock/Netflix UHD [100% off]/Amazon [Prime 100% off]/Instacart [Express]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
17147 posts
5655 upvotes
Markham
ryanscharger wrote: Thanks for the help guys - I didn't know they were offering a plan. Will try again on Wednesday (bill due on the 30th so I have time).

Android phone can't do imessage.
plus does your txt plan include USA txt? If not you get charge for it as well
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
Deal Fanatic
Aug 24, 2011
5776 posts
3926 upvotes
Toronto and London
Genuine question: isn't Rogers one of RFD's partners?

If that is the case, why is a mod citing a meme and calling them Robbers?

@titaniumtux
Deal Expert
May 8, 2009
15560 posts
14184 upvotes
Going to the Moon
RiftOfChaos wrote: Genuine question: isn't Rogers one of RFD's partners?

If that is the case, why is a mod citing a meme and calling them Robbers?

@titaniumtux
Lolz, the nickname is well suited given the context of the thread, plus I didn't start the thread :twisted: plus mods are permitted to express their own opinions in threads just like any other user. Only moderation must be done without bias. Mods can edit/move/delete content if it's against the forum rules, but say you were to post a thread about how much you love/hate carrier X, even if I don't share the same impression of that same carrier as you do, that's not an excuse to modify or delete your post.
Apr 26, 2017
5 posts
2 upvotes
Keigotw wrote: Android phone can't do imessage.
plus does your txt plan include USA txt? If not you get charge for it as well
Yeah I know they can't do iMessage, that's what I meant. It doesn't include USA text but that's not my issue I know it costs a few cents to send messages so I don't do it often, my issue however is that I was charged well over 10x what I actually did
Dec 12, 2017
96 posts
37 upvotes
ryanscharger wrote: Yeah I know they can't do iMessage, that's what I meant. It doesn't include USA text but that's not my issue I know it costs a few cents to send messages so I don't do it often, my issue however is that I was charged well over 10x what I actually did
So have you talked to Rogers? Just asking because in my example the person talked to Rogers, and they waived the fees but he was with them for almost 10 or so years. He Unlimited international TEXT messaging, but didn't have Picture/MMS included. Good luck.
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
38392 posts
12014 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Call the 800 from a landline

Carriers do not make up charges, my guess is the $983 was calculated properly based on your usage. A computer monitors your line, not a person, it logs in coming and outgoing messages and charges accordingly

Best you can hope for is a courtesy exception.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 22, 2015
7849 posts
8795 upvotes

They probably have plans that include MMS or they are in for a surprise too.

I still think that you got charged for each incoming and outgoing MMS... So 8X whatever you sent, plus every MMS that you recieved ~=1100
Oct 5, 2017
128 posts
152 upvotes
Surrey, BC
Sounds like you're hooped. IMO, these are legit charges for usage.
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1482 posts
540 upvotes
Ottawa
ryanscharger wrote: Also yes, I have a group chat with about 8 people, all green because some people don't have iPhones. Does this mean every picture I send I'm charged 8x that, because of the 8 people? I've probably sent about 20-30 pictures out like that.
Green bubble means it was a SMS/MMS, iMessage is blue. And yes 8 people means 8 separate charge since SMS/MMS don't have broadcast.

Did other people send any messages or they just receive?