Cell Phones

Was 10GB for $60 really a hot deal in your opinion?

Poll: Was the 10GB BYOD $60 plan a hot deal?

  • Total votes: 302. You have voted on this poll.
Lava hot!
 
85
28%
Spicy
 
96
32%
Lukewarm
 
42
14%
Cold
 
9
3%
Not a true deal (price increases, etc.)
 
20
7%
Gimmick to get us to use more data
 
29
10%
Just another market dump
 
21
7%
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6397 posts
908 upvotes

Was 10GB for $60 really a hot deal in your opinion?

Now that the deal is almost over unless they extend it.
In your opinion was it really a hot deal?
As a RFDer I still think it is a lot of money and it bothers me when I know that my home internet is unlimited for less than that.
It's just not logical when I think about why mobile data is so expensive

So how do you guys think about the new $60/10GB plan?
Is the price on par with other provinces finally or nothing compares to QC plans?
Did you just take it not because it's cheap but you are paying ridiculous amount of money and needed to switch?
I know we are still paying a lot compare with US and other countries.
178 replies
Banned
User avatar
Jun 8, 2008
3977 posts
1404 upvotes
Toronto
We don't have data plans. I would have been an idiot to think this was a good deal for something I happily live without.
Sr. Member
Dec 14, 2012
586 posts
126 upvotes
10G plans are normally around $115, so $60 is pretty good.

If you don't need or use that much data, then stick with something cheaper.
Deal Addict
Nov 20, 2005
1375 posts
529 upvotes
Personally not really. My wife was already paying $60 with Fido for 6GB so getting the 4GB made sense for her and her brother.
Sr. Member
Jul 25, 2010
545 posts
264 upvotes
Vancouver
Nope. The only reason it looks good is b/c people are comparing with the absurd pricing that already exists in Canada for 10GB.
The telecoms played this very well, by using simple marketing and emphasizing the 10GB, a lot of people saw this and immediately jumped. Now if you're coming from a worse plan and yet are paying more, then I can see why, but I know people who hardly use 1GB and are paying for plans ranging from $25-35 and also jumped.
Whenever you're faced with a deal like this, the one guarantee you have is you'll be paying more. So the only thing that makes it worthwhile is if you use most if not all of the new features you're getting for that price (in this case the 10GB), and I'm pretty sure most people either won't, or will have to force themselves to use more data than they naturally would just to make full use of the plan.
At the end of the day, its the telecoms that win. By keeping bandwidth caps as low as possible in an age where bandwidth usage is continuously growing faster and faster, they can easily make a bad deal look amazing and that's what they did here.
[OP]
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Dec 15, 2004
6397 posts
908 upvotes
DrAcX wrote: Nope. The only reason it looks good is b/c people are comparing with the absurd pricing that already exists in Canada for 10GB.
The telecoms played this very well, by using simple marketing and emphasizing the 10GB, a lot of people saw this and immediately jumped. Now if you're coming from a worse plan and yet are paying more, then I can see why, but I know people who hardly use 1GB and are paying for plans ranging from $25-35 and also jumped.
Whenever you're faced with a deal like this, the one guarantee you have is you'll be paying more. So the only thing that makes it worthwhile is if you use most if not all of the new features you're getting for that price (in this case the 10GB), and I'm pretty sure most people either won't, or will have to force themselves to use more data than they naturally would just to make full use of the plan.
At the end of the day, its the telecoms that win. By keeping bandwidth caps as low as possible in an age where bandwidth usage is continuously growing faster and faster, they can easily make a bad deal look amazing and that's what they did here.
I can see a danger in people getting this plan start to utilize close to 100% of the new data.
Once you start using a lot you will need more and it's hard to go back to 4 or 6GB.
The over usage data rate is outrageous on these plans, I heard on the news it's like $70/1GB over usage
Deal Expert
User avatar
Oct 13, 2009
21168 posts
10608 upvotes
Iqaluit, NU
sf1 wrote: I can see a danger in people getting this plan start to utilize close to 100% of the new data.
Once you start using a lot you will need more and it's hard to go back to 4 or 6GB.
The over usage data rate is outrageous on these plans, I heard on the news it's like $70/1GB over usage
That's why I train myself to use much less than my allotment. Currently I have 3 hours left to use 10.5GB of my 15GB plan lol. Used 4.5gb in 29.9 days

Most times I get up to 50% allotment used. I just like having the buffer just in case
Re: Procurement, Life & RFD
nasa25: say you won it in a raffle. That's what I do with like 86% of my purchases
infinityloop: Lying to your SO seems like an unhealthy long term strategy
nasa25: lmao
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17650 posts
4282 upvotes
Toronto
10 GB + DataBytes + Fido Roam for + Unlimited Canada-wide calling and + Unlimited International Messaging is Lava Hot! (By historical Canadian standards)
Last edited by EugW on Dec 19th, 2017 8:57 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
12500 posts
9308 upvotes
Leask
nasa25 wrote: That's why I train myself to use much less than my allotment. Currently I have 3 hours left to use 10.5GB of my 15GB plan lol. Used 4.5gb in 29.9 days

Most times I get up to 50% allotment used. I just like having the buffer just in case
Then why would you have a 15GB plan? Nothing cheaper on the market?

Just thinking, they're supposed to cut you off at $50 in data overages, that means you can't even exceed the 10 GB plan by one full GB...
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Deal Expert
Mar 23, 2009
17650 posts
4282 upvotes
Toronto
titaniumtux wrote: Then why would you have a 15GB plan? Nothing cheaper on the market?

Just thinking, they're supposed to cut you off at $50 in data overages, that means you can't even exceed the 10 GB plan by one full GB...
They have data top-ups actually. $15 for 1 GB for example. The only caveat is you have to apply them before you hit your limit.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
12500 posts
9308 upvotes
Leask
EugW wrote: They have data top-ups actually. $15 for 1 GB for example. The only caveat is you have to apply them before you hit your limit.
That makes sense. Still a cold deal to me.

What other service do carriers give you hardware with resale value? Landline carriers won't give you telephone sets, internet providers won't give you computers, tv providers rarely give you the TV set (you'll find it easier to get a TV by opening a bank account), yet cellphone providers fight tooth and nail to get us on device balances with amazing activation incentives. I'll take the phones and never go BYOD with carrier.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread
Member
Sep 18, 2011
220 posts
25 upvotes
Toronto, Canada
With the corporate discount of 30%, I was paying $60/mo for 3GB. So basically I gained 7GB extra for free. Whether I use up the data limit or not, it's no brainer that the extra 7GB is worth it.
Deal Expert
User avatar
Mar 18, 2005
19440 posts
2513 upvotes
Niagara Falls
How can you vote for anything other than spicy or lava if you're living in Ontario. 10 gigs in the province has been crazy expensive.

Sure it's probably not even competitive for lots of plans in Europe and only slightly hotter than those you can get in Quebec, but for some of use, it's a lot of data for not too much money.
Deal Fanatic
User avatar
Jul 14, 2008
8240 posts
1841 upvotes
Ontario
Many people abandoned their ‘loophole’ accounts for this so clearly this is a good deal. Obviously data heavy users are more likely to see this as a good deal and light data users will not. If you don’t need something then it’s not a good deal to pay more money for something you don’t use. Duh! And for others, paying equal amount or less but getting more data is a sensible way to future proof ever increasing data needs.
Deal Guru
User avatar
May 8, 2009
12500 posts
9308 upvotes
Leask
Evil Baby wrote: How can you vote for anything other than spicy or lava if you're living in Ontario. 10 gigs in the province has been crazy expensive.

Sure it's probably not even competitive for lots of plans in Europe and only slightly hotter than those you can get in Quebec, but for some of use, it's a lot of data for not too much money.
For some, BYOD is too expensive unless it's free :twisted: some are on grandfathered plans, etc.

For data only, the Fido 3GB for $15 equates to 9GB for $45. That means on the $60 BYOD plan, in comparison, the talk/text is ~$10. Heck, in a 10GB plan, the talk/text should not cost above the reasonable cost of data. $60 for a 10GB BYOD plan is what the ongoing price *should* be IMHO.

I'm sure we'll see something comparable again next year or whenever the big three do their next market dumps.
eBay profile| Motorola phone. Linux on 2xcomputers. Brew beer & wine @home. Hackers keep changing my location to Leask on weekends.
DUCA thread | Simplii Account Linking | Make CCTS Claim | Max on Koodo Referrals Thread

Top