Shopping Discussion

On 11.11 , Aliexpress.com accepting Paypal , how does it work? is there extra fee?

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 16th, 2020 10:41 pm
[OP]
Aug 12, 2014
232 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON

On 11.11 , Aliexpress.com accepting Paypal , how does it work? is there extra fee?

On 11.11 , Aliexpress.com is accepting Paypal , how does it work? is there extra fee for using Paypal ?
22 replies
Deal Addict
Nov 1, 2009
1943 posts
1086 upvotes
Like any other payment options.
Choose your method of payment, in this case PayPal.
Redirect to PayPal, input credentials, payment made.

I don't see any additional fees aside from currency exchange fee.

I do see by using PayPal, AliExpress has a $2 off coupon.
Feb 7, 2017
559 posts
292 upvotes
jay-em wrote: Like any other payment options.
Choose your method of payment, in this case PayPal.
Redirect to PayPal, input credentials, payment made.

I don't see any additional fees aside from currency exchange fee.

I do see by using PayPal, AliExpress has a $2 off coupon.
Where is the paypal coupon? I don't see it.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19530 posts
12598 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Siward44 wrote: Where is the paypal coupon? I don't see it.
It's built-in to the payment when you select it.
Deal Fanatic
Sep 25, 2005
9290 posts
7662 upvotes
Scarborough, ON
Heard from a friend that this new option resulted in cash advance on her credit card.
Anyone else with similar experience?
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
5417 posts
3438 upvotes
DragonRider wrote: Heard from a friend that this new option resulted in cash advance on her credit card.
Connect your Debit card?

Also, I think AliExpress always took money ahead and held onto it until the item was delivered to the customer and then released it to the seller.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19530 posts
12598 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
DragonRider wrote: Heard from a friend that this new option resulted in cash advance on her credit card.
I just did two transactions and they are the same as regular Paypal transactions that I've always had on my credit card - ie a standard credit card transaction.
Penalty Box
Aug 29, 2012
8179 posts
7229 upvotes
It's much better to use PayPal for every single transaction than AliPay. If you make a very expensive purchase and it is damaged or there is another serious problem other than it not getting to you in the mail, PayPal will take your side, whereas AliExpress will ask all kinds of stupid questions to make you waste your time and weasel out of paying. AliExpress is there to favor Chinese sellers and China, not you.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19530 posts
12598 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Poutinesauce wrote: It's much better to use PayPal for every single transaction than AliPay. If you make a very expensive purchase and it is damaged or there is another serious problem other than it not getting to you in the mail, PayPal will take your side, whereas AliExpress will ask all kinds of stupid questions to make you waste your time and weasel out of paying. AliExpress is there to favor Chinese sellers and China, not you.
I would agree. However, I have noticed that recently more Chinese sellers are abusing the whole Aliexpress process - selling things with free or cheap shipping and then turning around and asking for more money to ship it not not even shipping it. Aliexpress has ruled in my favour in the past 2 months for products that the seller says was shipped and provided a 'tracking' number only to have the tracking number not connected to anything. Aliexpress never asked for anything but the sellers kept saying to wait a few more days even when I asked them about updated tracking to show that the package actually left China or arrived in Canada.

I did have one incident that the seller wanted a video of the audio problems I was having with a headphone cable which I actually was able to provide (showed that some of the conductors weren't actually connected) and Aliexpress ruled that only a partial refund was required as the cable 'worked'.... In this case, if I paid with Paypal I would have done a charge back with them.
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
617 upvotes
A lot ( likely everyone ). You will be charged a fee plus interest by the credit card company ( see https://www.reddit.com/r/Aliexpress/com ... h_advance/ )

Also, "cash advance" is not considered a "purchase". Therefore, no chargeback, points, protections and other privileges from the credit card company.
Last edited by the2ndme on Nov 13th, 2020 10:46 am, edited 1 time in total.
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
617 upvotes
Poutinesauce wrote: It's much better to use PayPal for every single transaction than AliPay. If you make a very expensive purchase and it is damaged or there is another serious problem other than it not getting to you in the mail, PayPal will take your side, whereas AliExpress will ask all kinds of stupid questions to make you waste your time and weasel out of paying. AliExpress is there to favor Chinese sellers and China, not you.
Buy using credit card direct is the best. More sellers are offering "Free Return" (15 days) using Canada Post to a Canadian address.

AliExpress makes money off transactions. Favoring is nonsense. And a lot of sellers on AliExpress are not Chinese.
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
617 upvotes
craftsman wrote: I just did two transactions and they are the same as regular Paypal transactions that I've always had on my credit card - ie a standard credit card transaction.
Maybe the difference is pay with Paypal cash ( cash withdraw from Paypal balance, user's bank or credit card ) or "charge" through Paypal like a normal credit card charge.
Deal Addict
Sep 22, 2012
4811 posts
4505 upvotes
Richmond Hill
Used PayPal with Rogers MC. Coded as cash advance. Bought things as I found them so now I have $25 of fees. Disappointed But Relieved Face

Called in to get them waived, but I have to wait for them to all post first.
Deal Expert
Jan 27, 2006
19530 posts
12598 upvotes
Vancouver, BC
Do your other PayPal transactions get coded as a cash advance?

I know that in some incidents on some credit cards certain transactions are coded as cash advances while other credit cards don't do that.
Banned
Oct 10, 2020
1037 posts
617 upvotes
I think I found the reason for the "cash advance" trouble. Some AliExpress sellers don't want to deal with PayPal directly (can be costly to them) so the PayPal payment gets directed to a "go between agency" the credit card company considered a financial institution. When the credit card is charged to a "financial institution", it's a cash advance.

A post by "losing-battle" on Reddit :

"... I have included the response from my credit card company below"

Let me share that the category is chosen by the merchant based upon its primary business; it is not chosen by us. Let me share the following details re the transaction in question: - Merchant name: ALIPAYSINGA AL - Merchant type: Financial Institutions. The above charge is listed as a quasi cash transaction. We charge a cash advance fee when you make cash-like transactions, such as withdrawing money with your credit card or buying foreign currency. A quasi cash transaction is one that is similar to a cash advance. Money transfers, money order purchases, gambling transactions, and other transactions where cash is accessed will be classified as quasi cash transactions. Please know that quasi cash / cash advances are subject to the following terms: -Cash advances do not have an interest-free period and interest charges accrue daily.

- https://www.reddit.com/r/Aliexpress/com ... liexpress/
[OP]
Aug 12, 2014
232 posts
107 upvotes
Toronto, ON
SOLUTION: PAY BY PAYPAL BALANCE, I. E. TRANSFER SOME FUND TO YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT ....
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1323 posts
467 upvotes
Yep, I just got burnt today. Thankfully bank agreed to waive the $5 fee as goodwill since this is the first time. CSR said they got lots of complaints recently regarding PayPal coding purchase from certain online retailer as cash advances. I made a higher value purchase yesterday through PayPal and it was recorded as a purchase. Avoid using PayPal on AliExpress.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Deal Addict
Feb 1, 2009
1323 posts
467 upvotes
letterschen wrote: SOLUTION: PAY BY PAYPAL BALANCE, I. E. TRANSFER SOME FUND TO YOUR PAYPAL ACCOUNT ....
A bank CSR reminded me to pay off my entire credit card balance (not just my most recent statement balance), or I'll still be charged interest on that cash advance. Thought I'll share here.
If my sanity has to go, it is my job to keep its absence to myself. :D
Jan 10, 2013
67 posts
79 upvotes
Toronto
I read the same on reddit. If you use your paypal balance (transfer some funds from your bank acc first) or debit card, no cash advance fee is charged. Apparently Aliexpress/alibaba is listed as a financial institution in the UK, so if you use a credit card of any kind it's considered a cash advance.
Nov 29, 2019
10 posts
4 upvotes
Thanks for the heads up. Would have been really tempted to use Paypal.