Automotive

11-year-old caught driving on Ontario highway after night playing Grand Theft Auto

• Last Updated:
  • Dec 2nd, 2016 8:43 am
[OP]
Deal Expert
Mar 25, 2003
15858 posts
4378 upvotes
Markham

11-year-old caught driving on Ontario highway after night playing Grand Theft Auto

http://www.ctvnews.ca/canada/11-year-ol ... -1.3179027
CTVNews.ca Staff
Published Sunday, November 27, 2016 3:36PM EST
Last Updated Sunday, November 27, 2016 5:38PM EST

An 11-year-old was caught driving on Ontario’s Highway 400 Saturday after a night of playing Grand Theft Auto, the Ontario Provincial Police say.
According to Sgt. Kerry Schmidt of the OPP’s Highway Safety Division, police received reports after 11 p.m. Saturday of an erratic-moving vehicle just north of Toronto.
“Drivers called it in thinking it was probably an impaired driver, because the vehicle was all over the highway,” Schmidt said in a video posted to the OPP’s Highway Safety Division Twitter page on Sunday
The driver was heading northbound on Highway 400. Police say the driver exited at King Road, and then got back on the highway, this time going southbound. That’s when an OPP officer attempted to pull him over.
“The vehicle was first… going under the speed limit – like about half the speed limit,” Schmidt said. “As the officer tried to get out and talk to this driver, find out what was going on… the vehicle took off again.”
With the driver now speeding at over 120 km/h, a second officer arrived. The OPP were eventually able to box the car in and bring it to a rolling stop.
Police were shocked to find an 11-year-old boy behind the wheel.
“(He) had just been finishing playing Grand Theft Auto at home and wanted to find out what it was like driving a car,” Schmidt said.
Grand Theft Auto is a series of popular and violent video games in which players climb through the ranks of the criminal underworld through murder, car theft and high-speed driving. According to Schmidt, the child’s parents were sleeping at the time of the stunt.
In an interview with CTVNews.ca, Schmidt added that he was glad the joyride didn’t end in tragedy.
“Fortunately no one was killed,” Schmidt said. “In real life, there’s no reset button.”
The child was returned home by police. The car was also towed back home. No charges have been laid.
“He’s only eleven years old,” Schmidt said. “We’re leaving it up to the parents to determine what an appropriate punishment would be.”.
96TB Mediasonic H82-SU3S2 / 72TB Raid 50 on Mediasonic H8R2-SU3S2
48TB Node 304 / i5-3570 / Server 2016 Essentials
12TB HP Mediasmart EX 495 (E8400, 3.0GHZ, 4GB Mushkin), with Server 2016 Essentials
16TB Qnap TS-459 Pro
14 replies
Deal Expert
Jul 22, 2006
22011 posts
2632 upvotes
Police should punish the parents.
Jun 17, 2013
794 posts
291 upvotes
Toronto
george__ wrote: Police should punish the parents.
Because he snuck out while they were sleeping? Seems pretty stupid to do that.
Deal Fanatic
Aug 27, 2014
6071 posts
2427 upvotes
Canuckland
I wonder how he managed to stop the kid, I'm sure if I were playing GTA I would have started hitting/ramming people :lol:
Deal Guru
Oct 5, 2008
13498 posts
7619 upvotes
Toronto
the kid is no doubt a RFD poster
Deal Expert
May 22, 2005
19995 posts
5375 upvotes
Good Morning
Swerny wrote: the kid is no doubt a RFD poster
Gonna be posting how to get cheap insurance on the Auto forums for years to come.
Deal Addict
Apr 24, 2017
1844 posts
1523 upvotes
Waterloo
konsensei wrote: No, they should be punished for letting an 11 year old kid playing 18+ video game.
They know their kid better than anyone else, knowing how erratic the kid could be (proof: snuck out and drove the car), yet letting him play such video game.
except that it's not illegal to let a underaged child to play a 18+ game.

bad parenting? yes. criminal offense? no.

and for all we know, the kid could've watched Disney's Cars and done the same thing.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
Sicklyslick wrote: except that it's not illegal to let a underaged child to play a 18+ game.

bad parenting? yes. criminal offense? no.

and for all we know, the kid could've watched Disney's Cars and done the same thing.
I didn't mean punished by police. If the police could, I'm sure they would have already. But they found no ground for any charges. By punishments, i mean getting slapped in the face.

No Disney's Cars (rated for Kids) have never had such effects. But if you search around, there are way more than 1 story of kids who had erratic behaviors after playing GTA, dating back to GTA 2 (that was when i heard the first stupid crime happened after the game)
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1386 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
konsensei wrote: No Disney's Cars (rated for Kids) have never had such effects. But if you search around, there are way more than 1 story of kids who had erratic behaviors after playing GTA, dating back to GTA 2 (that was when i heard the first stupid crime happened after the game)
You maybe right that there were kids who had erratic behaviours after playing GTA, but that's hardly a scientific observation.

There are probably way more kids that have stolen car after they brushed their teeth or ate milk and cookies too. Just because a kid has played GTA and stolen car doesn't really prove that they are related at all.

For all we know kids have been stealing cars way before GTA was invented. In fact kids have been stealing horses for joy ride way before the first model T was rolled out from the factory. :-)
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
csi123 wrote: You maybe right that there were kids who had erratic behaviours after playing GTA, but that's hardly a scientific observation.

There are probably way more kids that have stolen car after they brushed their teeth or ate milk and cookies too. Just because a kid has played GTA and stolen car doesn't really prove that they are related at all.

For all we know kids have been stealing cars way before GTA was invented. In fact kids have been stealing horses for joy ride way before the first model T was rolled out from the factory. :-)
It doesn't have to be scientific observations. What do scientific observations have to do with this? This is not physics, not chemistry, not biology. This is psychology. Observations did show that quite a number of kids doing these things after playing GTA because they want to have a real-life experience of GTA.

Kids who are stealing cars have always been there. Growing up in certain environment, or certain situations made them that way.

I am talking about regular kids who are growing up in normal homes, can afford things. But doing such things because they are trying to replicate the game in real-life. That is different.
Aug 14, 2009
177 posts
61 upvotes
Are you one of these guys that say kids need to be bubble wrapped?

I grew up with guns when I was younger but I haven't shot anyone.

I also grew up with terrible music from Eminem.. Still haven't killed myself or my wife

Sigh

Isn't psychology related to science?
Deal Addict
May 10, 2011
1386 posts
446 upvotes
Ottawa
cybernation wrote: Isn't psychology related to science?
Judge from his reply I guess he doesn't know what "scientific observations" mean...

I am not sure if konsensei is Asian, but he seems to suggest that science is 'Physic, chemistry, biology', which is often an unfortunate byproduct from the education system in Asia. Science is often referred as '3-came-by' over there :-)
Deal Addict
Oct 13, 2008
4369 posts
1467 upvotes
Idiot.
16'x11' Living Room 11' Cathedral Ceiling. Hisense 65Q8G. Denon AVR-S740H. Jamo Classic 10 280W Towers - FR+FL. Polk Audio S35 - Center. Klipsch R51M - RR+RL & R14M - Dolby FHR+FHL. Polk Audio HTS10 Subwoofer x2. Unlocked Android Boxes from Taiwan x2.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 17, 2006
6833 posts
5736 upvotes
North York
cybernation wrote: Are you one of these guys that say kids need to be bubble wrapped?

I grew up with guns when I was younger but I haven't shot anyone.

I also grew up with terrible music from Eminem.. Still haven't killed myself or my wife

Sigh

Isn't psychology related to science?
You grew up with said guns, music, etc... But you were well educated and well groomed by your parents and relatives.
What about kids growing up with little to no love from family? Do you think they all became like you? certainly, there have been individuals who could turn away or grow out from "the bad", but not everyone. You need some "observations"? Schools in "bad neighbourhood" have way higher rate of violence, crime.
I am not saying kids in good neighbourhood would grow up 100% violence-free (or similar), but the rate is much less.
csi123 wrote: Judge from his reply I guess he doesn't know what "scientific observations" mean...

I am not sure if konsensei is Asian, but he seems to suggest that science is 'Physic, chemistry, biology', which is often an unfortunate byproduct from the education system in Asia. Science is often referred as '3-came-by' over there :-)
I should have said, physics, chemistry, biology, etc.. Psychology in this certain situation doesn't have to have a scientific observation. You want a proper scientific observation, you need to conduct proper test with a decent pool-sized subjects. Are you willing to do that with actual kids? Weren't there some horrible gone-wrong psychological tests already (e.g prison test with adults)?

I responded to a comment of "scientific" observation, in which the word "scientific" was just thrown out with no meaning. There have been similar stories about kids and adults going a little more than hay-wire after playing GTA. If that isn't enough of proof, or observation, I don't see why the term "scientific observation" is needed.