• Last Updated:
  • May 15th, 2021 2:16 am
[OP]
Nov 20, 2004
734 posts
1073 upvotes
Vancouver

11 year old rig died, help me with a replacement

As per the title, my 11 year old rig gave up the ghost. Debating on weather to fix it (probably the PS) or invest in a new setup.

If going with a new setup, it wouldn't need to be crazy. I don't do much beyond browse and the only game I play is Diablo. So as long as I can play the next few iterations of Diablo I'll be happy.

Other must haves:
- desktop
- multi monitor support (2-3)
- multi hard drive support (C + 2-3)
- less then $1000

I'm past that stage where building PC's is fun. I'd rather get an off-the-shelf with the option to swap components as they break. I've had a prebuilt so I don't know how realistic that is.

Tell me your thoughts and suggestions.
10 replies
Deal Expert
Aug 2, 2004
36335 posts
9597 upvotes
East Gwillimbury
Lots of prebuilt systems use common off the shelf parts.

If your system is 11 years old. I would suggest you look for something newer.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 15, 2020
5744 posts
4386 upvotes
fastest is trying another PSU with the dead rig. Since you jsut said it's dead it's hard to diagnose anything so generic.
Deal Addict
Mar 1, 2003
1803 posts
298 upvotes
Scarborough
You're gonna have a rough time finding a decent gaming system under 1k simply because of the GPU shortage. Then again, if you're used to an 11-year old computer then anything will be a massive upgrade.
Ever wanted to shoot guns legally? See here: http://forums.redflagdeals.com/ever-wan ... n-1185701/
Public Mobile $10/month plan
Deal Addict
Jul 26, 2004
4987 posts
2017 upvotes
What's the configuration of the "Dead" rig? If its anything lower than a 2nd Gen i7 then it's probably a good excuse to get a new rig. With regards to fixing the old rig, it's not too bad if its a dead power supply. Since you'll need one for a potential new computer anyways, get a new power supply and try it in the old rig, if it fixes it, yay!.. If not, then you have your new rig's power supply . As others have mentioned, its terrible time to build right now everything is expensive especially the video card.

You best chance with a prebuilt that doesn't have proprietary parts is to NOT go with a big name brand like Dell/HP/Acer and go with local store like Memory express and Canada computers. Thats basically have them build it for you but you choose your own parts.

The next Diablo coming out is a Diablo 2 remastered, don't think itll be that demanding in hardware. Diablo 4 probably won't come for a few more years anyways.
[OP]
Nov 20, 2004
734 posts
1073 upvotes
Vancouver
Thanks for the reply guys. I'll be getting a replacement PS to tie me over and upgrading in the far future before D4 drops. By that time prices for everything would have stabilized (I hope)
May 29, 2017
489 posts
381 upvotes
Theres no telling, but I really don't think prices will ever drop.
Deal Fanatic
Nov 17, 2004
7230 posts
1563 upvotes
Toronto
An 11 year old rig is not even Sandy Bridge. A Raspberry Pi4 would whoop it.
I workout to get big so I can pickup bricks and ****.
Deal Fanatic
May 11, 2009
7644 posts
4335 upvotes
Debtario
If the PSU replacement doesn't bring it back, I'd check out some of the off-lease business refurb units or keep an eye out on Facebook marketplace/kijiji/etc
6060842 wrote: I think you might be up for some sort of award for keeping a computer for that long.
My HP DV6500 series laptop from 2007 is still ticking on all-original parts (except a RAM upgrade and a new AC adapter), Core 2 1.5Ghz, 4GB DDR2, and 320GB HDD.

I'd still be using my Core 2 Q9550 system as my main rig had the motherboard not died
"I possess a device, in my pocket, capable of accessing the entirety of information known to man. I use it to look at pictures of cats and get in arguments with strangers"
Deal Addict
Jun 24, 2011
1303 posts
555 upvotes
MARKHAM
I have a bunch of rigs ready to go, motherboard and CPU builds that are somewhat recent that I can sell you to get you started. They should be enough to play any modern games with a decent videocard you'll have to find.

If you are interested you could PM me and I could send you some details. I think you can reuse your existing hardware, and potentially supply you with a new powersupply.