• Last Updated:
  • Feb 14th, 2017 10:18 am
[OP]
Aug 27, 2012
552 posts
995 upvotes
Toronto, Ontario

12 hour layover in Shanghai

I have a layover in Shanghai (PVG) arriving at 12:20am and then departing the same day at 12:05pm. Looking for advice on what to do...should we stay in the airport and head to the hourly rate hotel? I would love to go into the city to eat some soup dumplings and have a quick walk around, but is that feasible with the limited amount of time we have? Assuming we would have to be back at the airport at least for 9am. Or would it be better to grab a taxi when we arrive at midnight and head into the city to get a hotel there, eat some soup dumplings for breakfast, and then take the maglev back to the hotel in the morning? I also have access to the priority lounge so I wouldn't mind making some use of that too, although it's too bad it's not open 24/7.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks for the advice!
1 reply
Dec 14, 2009
114 posts
75 upvotes
Kanata
onamonapia wrote: I have a layover in Shanghai (PVG) arriving at 12:20am and then departing the same day at 12:05pm. Looking for advice on what to do...should we stay in the airport and head to the hourly rate hotel? I would love to go into the city to eat some soup dumplings and have a quick walk around, but is that feasible with the limited amount of time we have? Assuming we would have to be back at the airport at least for 9am. Or would it be better to grab a taxi when we arrive at midnight and head into the city to get a hotel there, eat some soup dumplings for breakfast, and then take the maglev back to the hotel in the morning? I also have access to the priority lounge so I wouldn't mind making some use of that too, although it's too bad it's not open 24/7.

I'm open to other suggestions as well. Thanks for the advice!
If your layover in Shanghai is on a weekday, then getting back to the airport before 9AM will be problematic. You have to fight the horrible rush hour traffic in Shanghai. Not only are the ground transportations in snail speed, the metro/subway trains will be completely full at most stations. My suggestion would be to find a reputable spa on Tripadvisor close to the airport - most spas stay open overnight but be careful not to get into the shady ones, get a foot treatment (you will love it!), and get your fill of dumplings and other snacks there (complimentary at most spas, at least when I was there 5 years ago). You can have a room to yourself, so you can get some sleep on your massage chair. Then you can head back to the airport in the early morning with enough time for your connecting flight.