12 hours stopover in Hong Kong

• Last Updated:
  • May 10th, 2019 11:48 am
[OP]
May 23, 2017
202 posts
15 upvotes

12 hours stopover in Hong Kong

We will have a 12 hours stopover in Hong Kong on Sunday April 12 (5am-5pm). Looking for suggestions on what to do.

Thanks so much.
22 replies
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12073 posts
2219 upvotes
Mississauga
Shop. Eat. Take the Star Ferry.
Jan 8, 2012
669 posts
437 upvotes
Williams Lake
If the weather is clear, go up to the Peak and enjoy the view.

You can take the Peak Tram or a taxi (expensive and quick) or the bus (slow and cheap).
Oct 17, 2010
640 posts
298 upvotes
Terrace
treksub wrote: We will have a 12 hours stopover in Hong Kong on Sunday April 12 (5am-5pm). Looking for suggestions on what to do.

Thanks so much.
12 hour isn't really alot of time unless you don't mind a hectic schedule after a long haul flight. Depending on where you wanna go the commute will take anywhere from minimum half hour to 1 hour to get to places from the airport. I'm not saying its not possible but it will be tight consider you want to return to the airport at least 2 hours before departing flight? Anything in particular that you'd like to do? shopping? eat? sight seeing?
Deal Expert
Feb 9, 2003
18464 posts
2841 upvotes
Langley
The Peak would be my vote too for the number 1 thing to do if you had one day in HK. Easily done with a 12 hour stop.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 21, 2010
5477 posts
2287 upvotes
Toronto
i6s1 wrote: The Peak would be my vote too for the number 1 thing to do if you had one day in HK. Easily done with a 12 hour stop.
Also The Peak is a zoo if you don't get up there early. Landing at 5am means you can grab breakfast and then be among the first up, with time for a circuit around the top if the weather's good.
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20021 posts
713 upvotes
Shanghai, China
Tobsterboi wrote: 12 hour isn't really alot of time unless you don't mind a hectic schedule after a long haul flight. Depending on where you wanna go the commute will take anywhere from minimum half hour to 1 hour to get to places from the airport. I'm not saying its not possible but it will be tight consider you want to return to the airport at least 2 hours before departing flight? Anything in particular that you'd like to do? shopping? eat? sight seeing?
12 hours ain't tight for HK. He can definitely do something if he uses the airport express.
Deal Guru
Apr 26, 2004
12073 posts
2219 upvotes
Mississauga
Tobsterboi wrote: 12 hour isn't really alot of time unless you don't mind a hectic schedule after a long haul flight. Depending on where you wanna go the commute will take anywhere from minimum half hour to 1 hour to get to places from the airport. I'm not saying its not possible but it will be tight consider you want to return to the airport at least 2 hours before departing flight? Anything in particular that you'd like to do? shopping? eat? sight seeing?
That still leaves OP 8-9 hours to spend in Hong Kong, which is a very comfortable layover.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1962 posts
853 upvotes
HK
Take a ferry to Macau and indulge.
Deal Addict
Sep 3, 2005
3151 posts
795 upvotes
Vaughan
12 hours is plenty of time to do things. As suggested already, the peak is probably the number 1 thing to do. Maybe visit Lantau island. Ferry boat to Macau is a possibility and eat an egg tart if you go, but if you've never been to HK, maybe stay there and check it out. Check out the avenue of stars, take a photo with the Bruce Lee statue. Plenty of shopping areas in HK. Disneyland is a possibility as well, that's if you don't want to see the city. Plenty of places to eat.
For Sale

Nothing at the moment
Deal Expert
Nov 7, 2003
20021 posts
713 upvotes
Shanghai, China
McKinsey wrote: Take a ferry to Macau and indulge.
I don't think it's worth it. OP should just stay in HK. It's not like there's nothing to do in HK.
Deal Addict
Oct 18, 2014
1962 posts
853 upvotes
HK
Sgt_Strider wrote: I don't think it's worth it. OP should just stay in HK. It's not like there's nothing to do in HK.
I don't disagree with you. Just throwing out options on the table.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5095 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
The buddha, its near the airport. do the outlet mall in the area near the airport. 12 hours is not enough time.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Guru
Sep 21, 2010
14244 posts
4007 upvotes
Montréal
Really depends on OP's interests...
The richest 1% of this country owns half our country’s wealth, 5 trillion dollars, one-third of that comes from hard work, two-thirds comes from inheritance, interest on interest accumulating to widows and idiot sons, and what I do.. <find the rest>
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
376 upvotes
OTTAWA
His arrival time is early in the morning, what's open before 10? lol
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5095 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
Nothing open that early except mcdonalds.
Full-time Realtor
Deal Guru
Jan 31, 2007
12325 posts
171 upvotes
Toronto
that is true, there isn't really much to do before 9-10am

check out Ngong Ping Village as its fairly close to the airport. You can either take the bus up there or cable car.

if you go cable car, go for the glass bottom one (different prices)
One Man's Trash Is Another Man's Treasure
Oct 3, 2011
583 posts
376 upvotes
OTTAWA
I mean he could walk around before places open but it might be a bit of a ghost town. until 10 or 11. He could go sample the interesting hong kong breakfast cuisine.... have a cup of half/half coffee/tea.

Not sure when the peak opens up but if it's open early probably go as early as you can, that place was ridiculously busy when I went. Was in line for the tram for probably an hour to get up. Coming down was less wait.
Deal Fanatic
Mar 27, 2004
5095 posts
3130 upvotes
Toronto
Best to just stick around the airport area tourist attractions. Big Buddle, the outlet mall. To go into Kowloon and back to airport for 5pm flight makes no sense.
Full-time Realtor
Jan 8, 2012
669 posts
437 upvotes
Williams Lake
Take the train to Central. The train leaves right from the airport. It's about a five minute walk from the airside doors. I think it takes about 25 minutes.

Take a taxi to the tram, then the tram up to the Peak. Or the taxi all the way. Or the #15 bus.

Walk down Lugard Road, take in one of the most spectacular views in the world.

Reverse your steps to the airport, or stop in Central for a bite to eat.

If not that, just take the train into the city and wander around as it wakes up. Get something to eat, take the Star Ferry across the river, etc.

Why would you fly half way around the world, have a chance to visit one of the world's great cities, and stay at the airport?